File bigger than 2 GB on FAT32 hard disk?

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
coucou789456
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by coucou789456 » 12/05/10, 01:01

re Goodnight

if you are interested, I have at my disposal a software called "Ontrack Disk Manager"size about 15MB but I didn't install it, don't need it.

jeff
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/05/10, 11:14

coucou789456 wrote:a bastard solution but which also works is to use WINRAR and to create a compressed file cut into several pieces.
once open the program, choose as the compression method "store" and as the volume size "2000 mb" which will create 2 GB files numbered in the style "xxxx.part1.rar "

Ah well yes pkoi I did not think of it before?
It will obviously work (although a bit heavy) but that only gets around the problem as you say ...

Well I think the case is closed: not possible to have "large" files (2 GB or 4 GB) on a hard drive in fat32 ...

The hard one is not very old since it is a Samsung 250 Go ...
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 12/05/10, 14:44

gegyx wrote:- To be able to copy a file larger than 2 or 4 GB on an external media DD, you must create an NTFS partition and voila! (The main partition being in Fat32)

et
coucou789456 wrote:otherwise, you can resize your FAT32 partition by reducing it and create in the freed space a new NTFS partition, recognized without problem by LINUX.

So it is indeed a primary partition in FAT 32 and a secondary in NTFS.
0 x
coucou789456
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by coucou789456 » 12/05/10, 18:21

Hello

in the case I mentioned, it allows you to create an NTFS partition in a space freed up to store large files, such as BLU-RAY ISO images for example.
naturally, nothing prevents you if you can mount the ISO image with DEAMON TOOL and save the contents of the disc thus mounted in a classic directory in your FAT32, if it is of course a way recording DVD. in a classic DVD video, there is no file larger than 1GB. moreover the current video players are able to read from a directory of the hard disk as if it were a classic DVD: VLC or MEDIA PLAYER CLASSIC. download the latest from the CCCP website (not related to the USSR) http://www.cccp-project.net/ where despite everything he uses the acronym of the sickle and the hammer!

you should specify if you are using a version of windose or a LINUX. the solution i give is for windose only.

jeff
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 12/05/10, 23:11

the largest file that is passed on my windaube98 with maxtor hard drive and dynamic drive overlay is 3.8 Gbyte

with a motherboard that refused to recognize more than 8GB!

but I never had the opportunity to try bigger: I could not do it today because there is not enough space and since it is full of important files I do not play

but I will do it on an even older computer, pentium (not even called 1 since the pentium 2 was not invented) at 70MHz (I did not forget a zero) which uses a 160go maxtor

I will concatenate large files to see how far it goes: it will take a long time ...
0 x
coucou789456
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by coucou789456 » 13/05/10, 02:24

Good evening

obviously you use old equipment, on the off chance, if you come by my corner, I still have old rougnes in stock before it goes to the scrap, although the oldest is a celeron 400, but I have motherboards with 1 Ghz Athlon which remains, complete and in working order ... I will be happy to give them to you.

moreover it will make you a holiday destination, in summer the weather is always super nice in Narbonne and the sea is very close.

....... in addition I have a box and power supply that would go with it, and PC100 or PC133 SDRAM strips! (I'm not even talking about the EDO bars of which I have quite a few specimens)

3 SCSI hard drives of 9GB also
1 new ZIP floppy drive, never unpacked

this is not a sale announcement but a donation, to be taken on site only as the shipping costs could prove to be high compared to the intrinsic value of the goods.

... I also have 5 or 6 350 W inverters with hs batteries (12V 7 A / h battery about 25 €)

jeff
0 x
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by oiseautempete » 13/05/10, 07:28

chatelot16 wrote:the largest file that is passed on my windaube98 with maxtor hard drive and dynamic drive overlay is 3.8 Gbyte

with a motherboard that refused to recognize more than 8GB!

but I never had the opportunity to try bigger: I could not do it today because there is not enough space and since it is full of important files I do not play

but I will do it on an even older computer, pentium (not even called 1 since the pentium 2 was not invented) at 70MHz (I did not forget a zero) which uses a 160go maxtor

I will concatenate large files to see how far it goes: it will take a long time ...

Hum by the hour or a PC 1000x faster than yours and equipped with win 7 is sold for 350 €, I do not see the point of bothering with such obsolete, inefficient and unreliable equipment (because issue crashes, win 98 sorry ...)
but in my cellar I still have an old PC with an AMD K6 III 500 with a 40GB HDD and 500MB of ram and it runs perfectly under Win XP SP3 and it's even rather fast, as long as we only do one thing to faith ... : Cheesy: I even tested Vista on it and ... it worked correctly (yes it did!), obviously without the 3D desktop and the few non-essential automatisms ... on the other hand impossible to run a Linux on it (Mandriva or Ubuntu) because chipset not supported (Via) + rowing to death, no driver for the ATI 7200 graphics card, even the ethernet modem did not work although the linuxians have certified me that it was "impossible" ...

And HDD formatted in NTFS are perfectly supported by win XP SP3 ... I've been using this standard for a long time, a little slower but oh so much more reliable than the Fat 32 ...
But many exotic devices and operating systems do not support NTFS and you have to use fat32 USB or HD drives.
0 x
coucou789456
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by coucou789456 » 13/05/10, 10:43

Hello

why old stuff, because it is not always a priority to spend money absolutely on a computer, there are sometimes and even often more essential things that come first.

NTFS created by crosoft for the NT4 it seems to me around the years 93-94, so contemporary to WIN95, but which could not support partition sizes greater than 2 GB at the beginning, since things have changed a lot.

LINUX has changed a lot since then, it supports a lot of conflicting data formats, more than windose. I have already installed UBUNTU 10.04 at home on a computer and also offers it to my professional or non-professional customers, who do not play on the computer, or even reinstallation following a windose crash, because windose does not yet know how to do the share things with bad sectors of a hard drive, even those detected with a scandisk (chkdsk). you should know that crosoft determines a bad sector after a large number of write / read attempts (it would seem that it is between 15 and 30 attempts while from the first unsuccessful attempt it should be marked defective, which is not not the case). except when windose writes the data, it does not check that they are really well registered, and very often when this data falls on a disputed sector but declared GOOD by windose, it follows the most diverse crashes or disappearance of data, unrecoverable files, etc.

indeed on vista or seven, there is recovery after crash, less blue screen, but when it concerns the configuration file, it is not the same story! often it becomes impossible to reach the scandisk.

I stop my litany here because there is enough to write a book on this subject!

jeff
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 13/05/10, 11:14

of course that putting a very old thing back into service is not profitable at all, when you see the time it takes to load window98 on an old slow machine

if I have some old machines that are still running, it is only because I have had them for a long time and that as long as it works I keep: and it is used from time to time to check the compatibility of certain things
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 13/05/10, 11:26

coucou789456 wrote:this is not a sale announcement but a donation
jeff

thank you very much, alas I will not be able to make this trip for a long time ...

if it can be useful to someone else it will always be better than throwing

I keep all the old stuff in working order because I think that with simplified version of linux it can still be used for a long time

It's not just with the old thing that we waste time: I bought a new laptop with Vista, which I couldn't stand, nothing worked properly ... it was a real pain to find the right driver to put XP
0 x