LED lighting on tensioned cables

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: LED lighting on tensioned cables

by chatelot16 » 09/02/16, 01:03

for old tranfo classic, put a transformer too big is a waste because of a non-negligible empty consumption

for modern switching power supply it's simpler: the vacuum consumption is much lower and oversize does not cost anything

with switching power supply you can reduce the number of models because a big one who works at low power does not waste anything
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 09/02/16, 06:40

izentrop wrote:Are you sure ?
term-led-température.jpg
You forget the entropy;)
http://www.etaplighting.com/uploadedFil ... ier_FR.pdf

I'm talking about halogens, not leds
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 09/02/16, 06:41

chatelot16 wrote:with switching power supply you can reduce the number of models because a big one who works at low power does not waste anything

Of course, though, a large switching power supply that works at low power regulates the voltage poorly, and a poor performance.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 09/02/16, 09:47

Hello,
This! wrote : With my 15 spots needed, I'm a little forced to buy 3 5 spot kits and leave on the straw 3 transfo ... Not very econological !!
Another question: by buying separately cables, spots and transfo, the assembly is it simple? I do not worry too much between cables and spots but between cables and transformer, I ask myself questions as the elements will not come from the same manufacturer.
Why do not you change your plans, two ramps of 5 X 50 W are more than enough to illuminate 40 m², it's already 4500 lumens
chatelot wrote: the modern cutting power supply is simpler: the vacuum consumption is much lower and oversize does not cost anything
Agree for 12 V lamps, which have a current-limiting resistor that supplies 30% energy unnecessarily.
Constant current supplies have a working range and are not used when empty. The constant current + LED power supply is more efficient.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 09/02/16, 11:09

A well-lit room is 500 lux and the lighting also depends on the beam angle http://www.ledrise.com/shop_content.php?coID=19
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 09/02/16, 13:03

izentrop wrote:Agree for 12 V lamps, which have a current-limiting resistor that supplies 30% energy unnecessarily.
Constant current supplies have a working range and are not used when empty. The constant current + LED power supply is more efficient.

you raise the real problem!

with a 12V power supply each LED must have its current limiter which is often a resistance that loses energy

with a constant current supply the led lamp is simpler, led alone without regulator but it requires a power supply by led, or put the led in series if it is the same rated current

the 12V is currently the only solution available to put diverse LEDs on a single low voltage power supply

my preferred solution would be an 24 kHz alternating 20V network, which allows capacitor current regulation and avoids the loss in 20 kHz resistance to avoid the 50 Hz strobe effect and use smaller capacitor
0 x
tarassboulba
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by tarassboulba » 09/02/16, 14:27

Hello,
For the same type of installation I took a montage of 150W from Paulmann (it's a big classic transformer and heavy, bought with a special price) to which I added 5 other spots, all equipped with led polaroid gu5.3 5W 340lumens 100 ° (at a ridiculous price!).
Let 12 led from 5 watt (80 watt approximately)

There are only 12 lamps because the power supply is at the end of the cable and it is 5-6 meters and I prefer to have a little margin on the size of the cable compared to the current 12V, and also for the current of call for ignition that I have not yet taken the time to check.

The problem is that it is difficult to find cable light holders alone (it is cheaper in kit with transformer + cable + halogen bulb)
In addition, it is difficult to find long cables of good diameter in order to guarantee a good current flow on more than 5m.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 09/02/16, 14:58

I find it unfortunate to erase the links to the contestants, it is necessary to learn to compare! add links to the shops in the following message is largely sufficient

putting 100W when 36W is needed and the 35W is not enough would be a waste only if the power lost by the 100W was too much ... alas there is no information on the power vacuum, nor on his performance

so to know it you have to find the same food on another site where there is more information

for an econology site there should be good information on consumption and performance

we see for example a current consommee of 0,7 A which does not inform much because 0,7 x 230V = 161W

I hope there is no lost 61W to do 100W!

it deserves an explanation, maybe it is the maximum current consumed therefore at the minimum voltage of 170V: 0,7A x 170V = 119W

yield 100 / 119 = 0,84 ... but it remains to be confirmed because I make assumptions

There is also a problem with the way of measuring the current: in general, the cutting power supply consumes a peak current at the top of the sinusoid ... if it is measured with an ordinary amperemetre which gives the average current P = U x I is right with U = peak voltage ... if measured with a true effective amperemetre it gives a stronger current that does not allow to calculate the power

to calculate the efficiency it is therefore essential to measure the power, for example with a consumption meter on socket https://www.econologie.com/shop/prise-e ... p-238.html
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 09/02/16, 19:53

A quick reminder for DIYers: beware that most switching power supplies need a minimum charge to work properly (or even not to snap). So, if you go from halo 12 V to led, be careful: a switching power supply that worked perfectly with 4 X 35 w, could cause problems with 4 or 5 X 5 watts!
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 09/02/16, 20:20

everything depand what power cut!

a good power supply has to have a good regulation that allows to operate at zero power without overvoltage! I used a lot of industrial power supply that make a stable voltage at zero power

if a decoupage power supply has a minimum power below which it does not regulate it must be specified on the site of sale! and I would even say that if a power supply has this defect it should not be specified, it should rather stop selling it and sell another brand not to sell traps a ..

especially for led! the LEDs do not support the surge, and we can very well unplug the big led and leave a small power ... it would be lamentable that the grid overflow because the big power supply can not regulate a small power
0 x