Questions for LED ramp

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
pieroxy
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Questions for LED ramp

by pieroxy » 27/03/12, 10:41

LED Questions 2012
Hello,

I am in the process of finishing fitting out closets in a dressing room, and the time is coming to install the lighting. I will put a ramp of spots (GU5.3 - Mr16) for the general lighting of the room but in the wardrobes for example I have the firm intention of putting an interior lighting.

Question 1: Who to supply me with? It's been a while since I have been looking for this type of thing and I am tempted to turn to my usual supplier, which I have no right to name. Any suggestions for buying LEDs online?

Question 2: I intend to take a roll of the kind 10 m of diodes, breakable, 6000K, etc ... 
6000K, is that good? This type of roller seems suitable, are there any traps?

Question 3: I intend to supply everything with a PC power supply that I have in RAB. Pros: Cheap, unbeatable amperage (more than 20A in 12V). Cons: Active cooling, bulky, 5-10W of residual consumption.
Is there a trap? Is there anything better? Does it work for rollers (see Q2) and for GU5.3 bulbs? Am i going to set fire? ;-)

Thank you in advance for your enlightening answers.
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Questions for LED strip

by Gaston » 27/03/12, 11:02

pieroxy wrote:Question 1: Who to supply me with? It's been a while since I have been looking for this type of thing and I am tempted to turn to my usual supplier, which I have no right to name. Any suggestions for buying LEDs online?
On the Econology shop :?:

pieroxy wrote:Question 2: I intend to take a roll of the kind 10 m of diodes, breakable, 6000K, etc ... 
6000K, is that good? This type of roller seems suitable, are there any traps?
I use it for 3 or 4 years ... no problem (I do not know their color temperature).

pieroxy wrote:Question 3: I intend to supply everything with a PC power supply that I have in RAB. Pros: Cheap, unbeatable amperage (more than 20A in 12V). Cons: Active cooling, bulky, 5-10W of residual consumption.
Is there a trap? Is there anything better? Does it work for rollers (see Q2) and for GU5.3 bulbs? Am i going to set fire? ;-)
No particular risk (apart from noise, size and consumption which can be higher than that of LED's : Shock: ).
Please note: some power supplies require a minimum consumption for the voltage regulation to work. (sometimes even you must also consume on the 5V output)
0 x
pieroxy
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by pieroxy » 27/03/12, 11:33

For question 1, in fact I do not find. To make it short, I find the shop very messy. But if I am told where I can find breakable LED rolls, I am interested!

For question 3, after looking right to left I wonder if the voltage will not damage the LEDs if it is above 12V (like 12.5). I will measure and I answer on the forum.
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 27/03/12, 11:39

pieroxy wrote:For question 1, in fact I do not find. To make it short, I find the shop very messy. But if I am told where I can find breakable LED rolls, I am interested!
I don't think there are any currently.
On the other hand, there are GU5.3 LEDs ... and you only talk about rollers from question 2 : Mrgreen:

pieroxy wrote:For question 3, after looking right to left I wonder if the voltage will not damage the LEDs if it is above 12V (like 12.5). I will measure and I answer on the forum.
I do not think that 12.5 V is a problem, however pay attention to the quality of the regulation (if it changes between 11 and 14V, there is a risk). And check well the characteristics of the power supply: some must deliver a minimum power to function properly.
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 27/03/12, 12:35

Given the consumption of an LED strip, and apart from putting several km, I find the use of a PC power supply a very bad idea.
It will be almost empty while this kind of power supply at optimum efficiency from 3/4 of the power. Suffice to say that the losses in the power supply will be greater than the proper consumption of the LEDs.
As much to turn to a specialized power supply, it is not the 20 € more that it costs that will plumb the budget of the installation
0 x
pieroxy
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by pieroxy » 27/03/12, 12:55

If I take an Antec Neo Eco 400 - at random - ( http://www.antec.com/pdf/manuals/Neo%20 ... ual_EN.pdf ) the efficiency curve does not depend on the load, and the power supply can go up to 30A in 12V, or about 350W.

Knowing that I have about 10m of LED roll to deploy (60w) and some GU5.3 Hi Power (say 5 or 25w) It makes me about 82W, or a use at 24% of the power supply. Overkill, I agree. But:

First, my previous experiences with LED bulbs have shown that the wattage specified on the bulb boxes is not actually respected by said bulb. See my signature. See also Christophe's Sticky topic in this same forum for examples. I hope the situation has improved, but good. It would be stupid to end up with an installation that consumes 150W and a 100w power supply.

On the other hand, I have no experience in power for LEDs and therefore I can not recognize the absolute junk of a quality product. Suddenly, there is also a risk factor to consider. Especially since I have two PC power supplies which are moldy in the cellar (I am kidding, they are dry ;-)

If not, good addresses for LED rolls? Any advice for good cheap alims?
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 27/03/12, 13:11

pieroxy wrote:If I take an Antec Neo Eco 400 - at random - ( http://www.antec.com/pdf/manuals/Neo%20 ... ual_EN.pdf ) the efficiency curve does not depend on the load, and the power supply can go up to 30A in 12V, or about 350W.

Because it is an 80+ certified power supply, we are far from the low-end power supply found in PCs sold on rue Montgallet ...

EDIT: in addition this performance is certainly given when all the rails of the power supply are "normally" loaded. If it only delivers on 12V there is a great chance that we are very, very far from this output. If only the 12V rail is loaded, and the 3,3V and 5V are empty, on the one hand there may be major regulation problems, and certainly a very poor performance.
I say it again, it's a bad idea; it works, but it's not ideal.
0 x
pieroxy
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by pieroxy » 27/03/12, 13:27

Forhorse wrote:Because it is an 80+ certified power supply, we are far from the low-end power supply found in PCs sold on rue Montgallet ...

EDIT: in addition this performance is certainly given when all the rails of the power supply are "normally" loaded. If it only delivers on 12V there is a great chance that we are very, very far from this output. If only the 12V rail is loaded, and the 3,3V and 5V are empty, on the one hand there may be major regulation problems, and certainly a very poor performance.
I say it again, it's a bad idea; it works, but it's not ideal.

Well noted. Since I have two lying around I will plug them in and measure the output voltage / amperage (no pb of cosphi on DC, right? Should I just be able to multiply?) And measure the wattage at the input. We will see the return and there I can decide if it's worth it to invest in a dedicated power supply. And then I would have the real measure of the final wattage of my installation. Thanks for your advice.

Otherwise, nobody knows a good address for LED rolls (like this: http://www.ampoule-leds.fr/bandeau-led- ... p-771.html )

Is it worth something ampoule-leds.fr? I have had mixed experiences with their light bulbs, but it's been a while.
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 27/03/12, 14:22

Yes continuously to have the power (and not the "wattage") it suffices to multiply the current (and not "the amperage") by the voltage (and not the "voltage")
On the AC side, you need a good wattmeter because, due to the very particular form of the current absorbed, some low-end devices get lost a little and the measurement may not be significant. The best is still to rely on your EDF meter: Cut everything in the house for 10 minutes apart from the assembly and use the daily energy meter integrated into all the electronic meters ("selection" to display it " scroll "to reset it)
For personal purchase I know that starled or dotlight but no experience with headbands.
I just know firsthand those brand xanlite sold in GSB, but €€€ :|
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 27/03/12, 14:23

pieroxy wrote:If I take an Antec Neo Eco 400 - at random - ( http://www.antec.com/pdf/manuals/Neo%20 ... ual_EN.pdf ) the efficiency curve does not depend on the load, and the power supply can go up to 30A in 12V, or about 350W.
And justly :
The manual wrote:The Neo ECO power supply distributes power on separate rails. Some rails require a minimum load in order to run.
0 x