3G mobile Internet, someone uses? Experience?

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

3G mobile Internet, someone uses? Experience?

by Christophe » 21/09/09, 12:06

Everything is in the title: is a member of forums use or have used the 3G network?

Advantages? Restrictions? Does it work on the train?

What is the 3G compared to UMTS? (question can be stupid but ...)

And the waves? : Cheesy:

ps: in commercial docs, they talk about being able to use private "open" WiFi networks! I find it hyper "inflated" anyway: it is the customers who do the relays while being billed :) !

That it is possible ok, but that it appears in a commercial doc ... a shocking hair not?
0 x
Pear Belle Helene
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Pear Belle Helene » 21/09/09, 22:09

I sometimes use the 3G with the CE Iphone.

I have an unlimited offer, well it's not bad and not so slow as you might think.
I happened to go on youtube to wait for my daughter in the waiting room of the doctor by putting the Barbapapa and it works well (rather than let it rip all the magazines as Bigard said huh : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: no sweetie is cute)

I also come on the mails when I'm not at home, I often send emails with photos (I do not put the MRgrenn otherwise Christophe will still imagine things ... lol ...)

I do not know UMTS.

In short, it works pretty well. I go on MSN too.

After is this useful ???? I do not know.
0 x
Pear Belle Helene
Korben Dallas
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Korben Dallas » 21/09/09, 22:16

I myself had an 3G SFR contract that I passed on to my daughter and finally that I terminated.

I also have a 3G SFR key in a professional capacity.

The bit rates are very good (equivalent to a good ADSL bit rate) ... but only in the 3G + coverage area. Elsewhere, it's slow enough.
Regarding the stability of the connection, it depends a lot on the drivers. In Windows XP, it disconnects quite often. Under GNU / Linux Debian or Ubuntu, it worked quite well. Mac OSX 10.5, it was fine too, but under 10.6, there is more driver right now ... I wait for the moment when it will be available.

Other than that, I find the cost quite expensive in unlimited. Still, it allows to stay connected all the time. Do not expect perfect results.
0 x
Superform
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Superform » 22/09/09, 08:33

Regarding the wifi open, it's sfr who offers it as a service and more.

it does not cost them anything (subscribers subscription), it's the same type of connection that the fonera (except at home, you're willing to do it, at sfr - or free - it's by default, you can still disable the wifi)

and it does not pay for all connections, because as said more heut, it is still very expensive.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 22/09/09, 09:50

My son (professional programmer) is satisfied, although there are a lot of "holes" in the trains, indeed (Mobistar, Belgium). He uses his phone and his PC (he transits through his phone in Bluetooth)

My brother uses it on his PC, in Namur Ville and Liège Ville, it works well, but at his home, (Profondeville, Vallée de la Meuse) it's a hassle: after midnight, when "the other "local subscriber finished, it works pretty much. After several complaints at Proximus (belgacom, Belgium), they ended up admitting that there were so few subscribers in their area, that it was not tomorrow the day before that we were going to improve)

Conclusion: in Belgium, out of the woods: can do better. And it's not a trick to download movies.

My nephew is satisfied too: he chose this solution for not having a landline: OK, but restricted use: e-mails, his daughter does a little chat. (Suburbs of Charleroi)
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/09/09, 10:50

Thank you for these returns.

It is obvious that mobile internet, for the moment and even in 3G, should only be used for "basic" tasks of the net ...

This article is not bad for summarizing the evolution of mobile internet technologies: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/3G

Already an answer: UMTS = 3G

The names of the vast majority of protocols have never been heard by the general public ... because there is a choice : Cheesy:

Elephant, what do you think completely abusive prices of Belgacom in the internet? We are still at 50 € TTC for the simple 4Mbit ADSL line without anything else (and in fact we are only at 2Mbit because "end of line") ... in France for 30 € you have "everything": VOIP , TV adsl, 10 Mbit ...
0 x
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 22/09/09, 11:14

: Evil: it is true that in France question money you are often made the total : Evil:
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 22/09/09, 14:24

Christophe wrote:
Elephant, what do you think completely abusive prices of Belgacom in the internet? We are still at 50 € TTC for the simple 4Mbit ADSL line without anything else (and in fact we are only at 2Mbit because "end of line") ... in France for 30 € you have "everything": VOIP , TV adsl, 10 Mbit ...

I do like everyone else: I groan.

Nuances: in town, I'm still faster than that. I would like to change, but I will lose my e-mail addresses, which would generate me.
For the rest, experience made (by my clients : Mrgreen: ), voice over IP, it's M ....!

1) unreliable
2) Modem phone output can rarely support more than 2 devices in parallel
3) is the trouble to connect alarms on: when there is a power failure, it does not work anymore! So you have to put a no-break to power the modem.
4) you can be sure that when these andouilles come connect you, they disconnect the alarm system, usually without warning (and the commercial said: no, no, it does not prevent your alarm from walking ... sign! )
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/09/09, 14:36

Good we cracked (I could not do without you when I'm not at home : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: ) !

We took a very interesting 3G offer: adjustable package that starts at 3h unlimited quotas for 5 € per month at SFR (It goes to 15 € for 6h) ... Here is the free ad :D

A) We also took the Samsung NC10 (with integrated sim reader) to 199 € (249 - 50 € refunded) that works really well!

It is still more than 300 € on the net without the sim reader I believe (a USB 3G key costs 50 €). In short, it's almost half the price! The daughter of the agency told us that it was "restricted on the SFR 3G network" for 6 months and that afterwards it can be unlocked for free in a branch, just like mobile phones. Before it is paying (dear not how much).

I was a little skeptical about the performance of ultra portable (especially those offered "discount" with 3G subscription) but this is a gem !! If you are looking for an ultra portable, do not hesitate, it is the best of the market.

It has 7h autonomy (or a day), it's a real laptop and no longer a portable PC as are the current laptops (2h autonomy). For office automation in the forest is the top :D and I think for some things it goes even faster than my desktop PC (SD card reader for example!) !!

According to autonomy / battery capacity, its consumption, in long autonomy work, is around 10 W! Unbeatable. In "full power" it must be between 15 and 20 W!

The hard drive spins at 50MB / s ... that's better than most of the "big" laptops sold today!

Compare with your current pc: http://www.clubic.com/telecharger-fiche ... -tune.html

In short, samsung NC10 is the best ultra laptops apparently ... but it's going so fast!

Here are some tests on the NC10: http://www.cowcotland.com/articles/338/ ... -nc10.html
http://www.presence-pc.com/actualite/sa ... sfr-33415/
http://www.generation-nt.com/dossier-pr ... 091-4.html
http://ultraportables.fr/test-du-netbook-samsung-nc10/
Video test (English): http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops ... spx?page=5

B) For the side 3G, we have not yet tested well (20 min in all) but in town, at a standstill, it works at the speed of ADSL. No unreasonable disconnection noted.

In the countryside in static it looks more like a connection 56k cons ... I imagine moving in the countryside (so TGV no example) is not worth it to rely on ...

In 2 cases, the 3G modem indicates a connection to 7.2 Mb / s!

Next step: do bandwidth benchmarks!
0 x
Pear Belle Helene
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Pear Belle Helene » 29/09/09, 16:10

Not bad indeed.

For the 3G in the city even by car (when I'm driving at the wheel of course : Mrgreen: ) it works by rolling and without interruption.

Now yes in Edge is not the top but it helps.
0 x
Pear Belle Helene