In winter, the electricity consumption of a computer is free

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/04/11, 12:35

Well that's precisely the question I ask myself ...

As said my physics lessons are far away and my teachers were apparently not the best ... : Cheesy: : Cheesy:

That it is possible to heat matter with visible light (photons) is still an information that I should have remembered ... : Idea:

If this is not measurable, it is because it does not contribute to the original question of this topic.

A TL is about 25% light output so recovering part of the 25% of a monitor that consumes 30-40W AC should be measurable ... right? We are not in the microWatt here ...

Hey yes it is perhaps not for nothing that I have never managed to find the performance of a PC ... : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

ps: tip of the day https://www.econologie.com/forums/bureautiqu ... 10692.html : Cheesy:
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 12/04/11, 13:51

Hic must be an accountant? He makes "account to account" transfers!

Efficiency point of view It would be better to heat with wood by boiling water to activate a steam engine which would turn a turbine to produce electricity to power the portable computer .... Balance sheet point of view energy would be much better!

There you could not even say that you pay for the heating but that the electricity for the computer is free, since you have to buy the steam engine and its maintenance costs something ... Capito?

Christophe wrote:
Hic wrote:(data corrected by the price difference between the 2 types
of energy).

Here is the "scam" of your reasoning when you speak of "free", I heat myself with wood (2 to 4 cents per kWh depending on the wood) and I pay 25 cents per electric kWh! So warming up "at the PC" will be around 10 times less free than in the woods! :D :D

: Mrgreen: lol collapsed on the ground under the table!

Yes and I will have to go to the bank to look for "zero euro" coins ... Because in the parking lot - when I stay less than two hours - they show me all the time the amount to pay of "Zero euros" and as I never have the part with me, I leave each time without paying : Cheesy: : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/04/11, 15:07

Obamot wrote: : Mrgreen: lol collapsed on the ground under the table!

Ah finally someone who noticed this note of humor !! : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 12/04/11, 16:00

Christophe wrote:So let's take a concrete case: will a black plate (which absorbs 100% of the light) placed in front of a monitor heat up in a measurable way?
Yes.

If it is placed in a vacuum so that it evacuates its heat only by radiation, a plate of 1m² at 20 ° C will see its radiative equilibrium temperature increase by approximately 2 ° C for an additional luminous flux of 15W ( Stefan-Boltz law).
This heating depends only on the power of the flux and in no way on the wavelength of the incoming flux (visible, infrared, UV, radio wave, etc.). The spectrum of the emitted flux is determined by Wien's law.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/04/11, 18:03

Ah well here, you convinced me (even if I did not check your statements :D )!

There's no need to say we didn't have the same teachers / programs ...

Uh, what did you do Gaston studies? And what do you do for a job?
0 x
hic
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by hic » 12/04/11, 20:51

Obamot wrote:Hic must be an accountant? He makes "account to account" transfers!

Efficiency point of view It would be better to heat with wood by boiling water to activate a steam engine which would turn a turbine to produce electricity to power the portable computer .... Balance sheet point of view energy would be much better!

There you could not even say that you pay for the heating but that the electricity for the computer is free, since you have to buy the steam engine and its maintenance costs something ... Capito?

Christophe wrote:
Hic wrote:(data corrected by the price difference between the 2 types
of energy).

Here is the "scam" of your reasoning when you speak of "free", I heat myself with wood (2 to 4 cents per kWh depending on the wood) and I pay 25 cents per electric kWh! So warming up "at the PC" will be around 10 times less free than in the woods! :D :D

: Mrgreen: lol collapsed on the ground under the table!

Yes and I will have to go to the bank to look for "zero euro" coins ... Because in the parking lot - when I stay less than two hours - they show me all the time the amount to pay of "Zero euros" and as I never have the part with me, I leave each time without paying : Cheesy: : Cheesy: : Cheesy:

hi Obamot

And here you have just described cogeneration !!

we heat ourselves with wood and we produce energy by steam!
it is cogeneration!

if you have a computer that consumes 200 W,
we have 200W of heat,
which does not prevent the computer from working,
It's cogeneration

we therefore save 200W of heating

if the electric KWh is 25 Cent, the computer does not cost 25 Cent per Kwh

but the difference between 25 Cent Electric
and 4 Cent wood heating
(which we cut without a chainsaw and carried on the back)

or 21 Cent per KwH
0 x
"Let food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food" Hippocrates
"Everything has a price has no value" Nietzche
Torture for Dummies
Forbid to express the idea that the field is acceleration (magnetic and gravitational)
And you get your patent mental torture option executioner successfully
emlaurent
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by emlaurent » 30/06/11, 10:12

I am interested in the energy balance of a computer, the balance on its operating consumption for each sub-system (not gray energy). Have you found nothing in the meantime?

Otherwise, a bit of a note in passing:
it's not just the IR part of the spectrum of a flux that heats matter!
It is the WHOLE part of the spectrum of a flux that heats matter. Then there are wavelengths where it is more energetic, or there are materials that will absorb certain parts of the spectrum more and therefore heat up more ...

A mistake that is often made is to say that it is the part of the solar spectrum that heats the solar thermal collectors. Well no, it is the visible part which is the major source. If it was the IR that we wanted to capture, we would be making a BIG design error: glass absorbs infrared radiation very well, it would not be very smart to put the absorber and the water circuit behind a surface which blocks this radiation ....
: Mrgreen:
0 x

Back to "Electricity, electronics and computers: Hi-tech, Internet, DIY, lighting, materials, and new"