Improve the autonomy of a Dynamo lamp button cell?

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Yuril
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Improve the autonomy of a Dynamo lamp button cell?

by Yuril » 09/05/13, 23:09

Good evening Econologists!

I have a dynamo lamp that works with button cells, it makes in all 3.6V and 40mAh of Ni-MH technology.

If I replace the button batteries with 3 AA or AAA batteries of 1.2V and 800mAh for example, I would have a tenfold autonomy and of course a longer recharge time.
But do AA or AAA type rechargeable batteries support dynamo charging?

What is the difference between a button cell and an AA or AAA cell? apart from size and shape.

Thank you in advance.
0 x
brenamanf
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by brenamanf » 09/05/13, 23:57

Hello,

I allow myself to answer your message following the modification of my dynamos bought in supermarket.
It was also composed of a button cell, but the technology used is Li-Ion.

Are you sure about the Ni-Mh?

For me it's all good if you replace with several batteries, as long as the total voltage is equal to the previous one, and the technology used is the same.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 10/05/13, 00:04

it is of course possible to increase the capacity of NiMh batteries ... it will take longer to charge but it will work

lithium batteries are very bad for dynamo lamps: a lithium battery does not support being emptied thoroughly: it self-destructs when it is empty: it absolutely needs an intelligent circuit that cuts before being empty. .. which is never done in dynamo lamps for a few euros ... so absolutely avoid lamps with lithium battery
0 x
Yuril
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Yuril » 10/05/13, 10:16

Ok thank you.

Yes I disassemble it and it's good Ni-MH ^^

So whatever the shape of the battery, as long as it is rechargeable Ni-MH batteries of the same capacity it does the same thing.
Do they support fast dynamo charging as much as button cell batteries?

Then I thought, as an experiment, about the possibility of replacing batteries with capacitors or super capacitors because they support a much larger number of recharge cycles than batteries.
The downside is their sizes and numbers that it would take to have equal capacity and lighting duration similar to batteries.

I'm going to research the above, but if you have any info on these condo systems, I'm interested.
I imagine that there are ready-to-use dynamo condo lamps, the goal here is not to buy one but to do it yourself and why not do condo recycling. ^^
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 10/05/13, 17:46

hopeless with super capacitors: it stores less energy than NiMh batteries

the number of NiMh cycles is largely sufficient when they are well used ... the problem and the lack of effective end-of-charge detection: we massacre them when we overload them

good charge management is even more difficult with dynamo than on the 220V

to detect the end of charge, it is necessary to detect a fairly subtle voltage variation: impossible if you charge with a variable current with a crank

only solution: ampere hour counter, which counts the discharge and charge current, and determines the end of charge, even if the current is variable ... but it will be too expensive

conclusion charging a NiMh battery in the crank is a false economy, because the reduced lifespan of the battery costs more than energy: it is better to charge the batteries with a good charger on 220V with a good automatic shutdown, and keep the crank only for repair

I criticized the lithium batteries, which are screwed up too quickly when they are fully discharged, but with a circuit that cuts the use at minimum voltage, they are very good and in addition the detection of the end of charge is easy by simple voltage measurement, and it works well even with variable voltage

so lithium is bad in too simple crank lamps, but it could easily be better than NiMh by doing the right thing
0 x