Will Google (the search engine) go crazy? Drop in relevance!

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Earthquake
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: Does Google (the search engine) go crazy? Drop in relevance!

by Earthquake » 03/11/16, 17:25

Christophe wrote:And in English that gives what to the fact? Could you do some testing please? As you are in a "google which can be English speaking" ...

I did a few tests, but there are several obstacles before I can comment and draw relevant conclusions:

- I do not generally do my research on an engine in English, so I have no references to compare the current results to older ones
- I don't have enough fluency in English to set traps like "wing" and "island" ...

On the other hand, the result of the search "cz aile k8" escapes the suggestion "cz ile k8" and the ads you have found in mind. https://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&q=cz+aile+k8&oq=cz+aile+k8&gs_l=hp.3...7588.11186.0.12315.10.10.0.0.0.0.312.1986.2-7j1.8.0....0...1c.1.64.hp..2.6.1443...0j0i131k1j0i10k1j0i22i30k1.ond1lv93CSc

In terms of personalization, a small, easy experiment is to do a search by being disconnected from any personal account, and by doing the same while connected, the comparison of the first two pages of results leaves no doubt!

The account settings are sometimes traps, we enter but we no longer leave; for example, the settings for the language to be used in Gogol products and the display of search results, once chosen, do not allow you to go back, there is no "no language" option. ..
0 x
The keyword of our survival, that's life because we do not eat pebbles, then kill them with respect and discernment!
Christophe

by Christophe » 03/11/16, 20:11

Gaston wrote:It clearly indicates this at the start of the results page and you just have to click on the "Search only" link. Cz Wing K8"to get the answers you're looking for first.

Oh? I do not have this feature ... the screenshot I posted is the screen I had ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 03/11/16, 21:18

Grelinette wrote:It's not exactly, as you say Christophe, L 'Internet user who is becoming more and more "passive", but rather that Google tries to make it PASSIVE and permeable to ads; in the end the result is the same, but there is a nuance!

I was talking about surfing in general and not just advertising ...

Web surfers go a lot more on facebook, twitter, youtube than they did before and by doing almost no search request: the info comes to them ... via suggestions youtube for example ...

I would be surprised to see the evolution since 15 years google queries / number of connected Internet users!

Grelinette wrote:Edit: Example of analysis of Google request and its response adapted to my profile: I typed in the input window "Angling", and the first search engine results are fishing games for children ! ... Yes, I have young children and my specific research on children's topics has had a positive impact on my profile in Google's targeted files!

Be careful not to confuse the ADVERTISING results (dis sponsored which appear in 1er or beside) of the NATURAL results ...

All my queries were about NATURAL results.

A sponsored link may very well be completely HS in relation to the typed keywords since it's the advertiser who sets the keywords to targeted ... and as he may have crooked marketing shots that sort of thing would not worry me !

Example: a travel agency targeting the keyword "depressed" ...

The advertising targeting does not bother me too much ... except that we can make the same remark as the VOD: it closes the openness and the discovery of novelties... yes, sometimes the ad allows you to discover interesting things that you would have never found otherwise than with chance ... and it is this chance that targeting kills ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 03/11/16, 21:27

Terremoto wrote:In terms of personalization, a small, easy experiment is to do a search by being disconnected from any personal account, and by doing the same while connected, the comparison of the first two pages of results leaves no doubt!

No need to have a google account: targeted advertising goes through cookies and / or browsing / search history ... maybe (probably) even your IP

IP test: search on an X browser and see if the corresponding ad is displayed on another browser Y

On the other hand, having a google account stores ALL or almost!

Even the history (deep = years) of the installations you have done on Android: just change your mobile with the same account to see it. We can surely find "his" archives somewhere ...

And the right to be forgotten in all this? Uh ... DTC?!? : Cheesy:
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 04/11/16, 09:53

Christophe wrote:Oh? I do not have this feature ... the screenshot I posted is the screen I had ...
I have this:
czaile.jpg
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/11/16, 17:50

Yes I had understood what you suggested but no I had nothing ... see capture above ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/05/21, 15:19

A very long article (but quick to skim) which indicates ALL the possibilities of search by Google: https://www.webrankinfo.com/dossiers/google-search/serp

I learned a few things ... for example that we can plot mathematical graphs (plot) and the timer function (but only in English for the moment)

And another more synthetic article (the vast majority of searches are not user-optimized): https://www.blogdumoderateur.com/astuce ... he-google/
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 20/01/23, 18:37

I put it there: the net info of the day Google will lay off 12 people...

It does not smell good...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/01/24, 15:05

Once again Econology well in advance... : Mrgreen:

A scientific study has just shown that the quality of Google results is increasingly deteriorating: https://www.courrierinternational.com/a ... re-en-pire

Researchers confirm: Google results are getting worse and worse

A study suggests that search engines – and in particular that of Google – are increasingly highlighting poor quality content.

Do you feel like Google's search engine is less relevant than before? You're probably not the only one, notes the Mashable site.

“We are really witnessing a deterioration in the quality of search engines, which are in fact losing the battle against content optimized for them”, we can read in a study carried out by researchers from German universities and published public ahead of the 46th European conference on information retrieval, which will take place in the spring, during which it will be presented.

Researchers were interested in how so-called “affiliated” content affects the results of Google, Bing and DuckDuckGo search engines. Affiliate marketing is a marketing tool that aims to promote, for example, a product or a company for remuneration. “Even if you don’t know this term, you have seen its effects,” assures Gizmodo.

(...)
1 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 23/01/24, 16:00

(...) This is the case when you consult an article containing special links allowing you to purchase products from merchants like Amazon. If you buy something after clicking on one of these affiliate links, the website that led you there will earn a commission.

The SEO war

The objective for sites is to appear first in the answers offered by search engines. The result is a permanent war of optimization strategies, called SEO (search engine optimization) or “natural referencing”, in French.

Over the course of a year, researchers analyzed 7 queries related to product searches, such as “what are the best headphones”. The result is clear, deciphers Gizmodo:

“Higher-ranked pages are more 'optimized', have more affiliate links, and generally have lower quality copy.”

“SEO is a double-edged sword: on the one hand, it makes it easier to find highly relevant pages, on the other, it is an effective tool for pushing low-quality results up the search rankings,” write the authors.

Google and its competitors are constantly adjusting their algorithms to counter this phenomenon and prevent low-quality content from showing up first. But, according to the study, their efforts are not bearing fruit.

Interviewed by The Register, Janek Bevendorff, a researcher at the University of Leipzig and first author of the study, indicates that search engines should be more careful in selecting which pages to promote, particularly if they come from sites that produce lots of content. “Affiliate marketing has its share of responsibility for the current appearance of what we find online,” he insists. He nevertheless specifies that “banning it completely would probably not be the right solution”, because this tactic and natural referencing constitute an important source of income for many authentic sites.

Google defends itself

Contacted by several media, Google commented: “This study, which restricted its scope to content concerning product reviews, does not reflect the overall quality or usefulness of our search tool in relation to the billions of queries that we receive every day.” The Internet giant's spokesperson adds: “We have made specific improvements to address these issues; The study also highlights that Google has improved over the past year and that it performs better than other search engines.”

It prevents. “Google may have improved during the study, but experts agree that, overall, its situation has deteriorated considerably in recent years,” insists Gizmodo, for which the sector search engines in general have “a serious problem”.
1 x