Reduce heating thanks to Radio-Canada

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Reduce heating thanks to Radio-Canada

by Alain G » 09/01/10, 19:14

New technologies: Lower the heat thanks to Radio-Canada

Saturday Jan 9, 00:00 a.m.

Radio-Canada is developing a new use of its radio frequencies, which will allow consumers to better manage their electricity consumption.

The state-owned company announced Friday that it has successfully piloted a new technology in partnership with e-Radio in Toronto. By sending a signal on CBC Radio 94,1's 2 MHz frequency, the two companies were able to activate various devices remotely.

Concretely, this new technology will make it possible to control thermostats and household appliances, such as dishwashers, dryers and others, thanks to the FM band. For example, a consumer can fill their washing machine in the evening and let the power company determine when to start washing overnight.

This technology is emerging at a time when more and more homes are equipped with smart meters and when several electricity networks are trying to encourage their customers to reduce their consumption during peak hours.

Hydro-Québec is also carrying out a pilot project in four cities, called “hour-hour”, which allows prices to be adjusted according to the hours of the day. This project will end on March 31 and the results will be published before the end of the year.

Large-scale deployment possible next year

According to Jackson Wang, president of e-Radio, this technology could be developed on a large scale by next year. "That's the beauty of it: you only need the electricity and the radio."

The latter specifies that it is working to implant its technology in the United States, particularly in California, Texas and other states, in partnership with public or private media, including CBS. He adds that a major manufacturer of household appliances will soon integrate a device to benefit from this technology.

Wang adds that this technology is protected by an encrypted authentication process that is supposed to prevent any malicious person from tampering with a person's electronic devices. This process has been the subject of university studies and will be the subject of requests for approval from government authorities, he adds.

Radio-Canada notes that 99% of the population has access to its FM signals.

: Idea: : Mrgreen:
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 09/01/10, 20:59

This system is very interesting but you have to have a lot of confidence to let an outside decision-maker (the state, an administration or a company) order the start of its household appliances according to the best electricity rate.

I do not know if such a system would be transposable in France (given the level of suspicion that we have in our various suppliers). In addition, EDF subscribers can have contracts with different tariffs and slots, technically it is not insurmountable but it is a source of errors.

I had already heard that similar systems had been developed in France, for example to trigger by a signal the ignition of a video tape recorder to record a film exactly at its beginning (after the commercial), but it did not work. never been set up because of advertising! (by only recording the film, we avoid advertising which does not please advertisers ...)

Globally, there are many saving systems that could be implemented intelligently and automatically, but we have not yet reached this level of common sense: we are still too much in a commercial logic where particular commercial interest takes precedence over general ecological interest.

It seems that in Canada, this logic is not a priority, at least for the economy of electricity.
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 09/01/10, 21:03

Besides, I have a clarification to ask about this system of automatic remote release of household appliances:

Is it triggered at the time of the best price for the user or at the most attractive time for the supplier?
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 09/01/10, 21:49

Grelinette wrote:Besides, I have a clarification to ask about this system of automatic remote release of household appliances:

Is it triggered at the time of the best price for the user or at the most attractive time for the supplier?

neither one nor the other but both I suppose, the idea being to reward users who agree to defer certain uses when it suits the network regulator.

in France since the network regulator is not the same as the electricity supplier (s), this type of system will hardly be able to see the light of day.
indeed, the network regulator would have an interest in doing so to smooth out the peaks and fill in the "troughs" but as this generally leads to energy savings, the suppliers have no interest in it, quite the contrary. moreover, EDF won this summer a lawsuit brought against a promoter of a similar system in France.
0 x
Click my signature
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 10/01/10, 00:39

Hello, the ecologists!

Well I think you have the wrong answer !!!!

In my opinion it is to counter the peak of demand due to the electric cars which are on the horizon, moreover I already spoke about it on I do not know what subject, the goal is to relieve the devices or / and to make them work at the appropriate time depending on the load on the network.

Finally, I am not the only one to have thought about it!

As we are the country with the largest amount of energy per capita and above all very diversified, well I'm happy to see that we are looking for solutions to optimize it.

PS. We do not have a night rate like you (here in Quebec) since the production of large hydro dams can be slowed down and thus we store water for reuse in high demand.

I think this is a great initiative and 100% approve of the project!
: Mrgreen:
0 x

Alain
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 10/01/10, 00:46

We have the Bi-Energy system which uses heating oil and electricity, the oil is used only under a certain temperature which I do not have the data for, when the temperature is too low, we use the heating at oil and relieves the electricity grid in high demand.

A probe is installed on the meter that manages the system and naturally these customers have advantageous prices in normal mode and slightly higher prices in low temperature use, but it's still worth the cost according to my beauf who owns one.

:D
0 x

Alain

Back to "Electricity, electronics and computers: Hi-tech, Internet, DIY, lighting, materials, and new"