D-Wave quantum computers of Google and Nasa!

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: D-wave the quantum computer of Google and NASA!

by Exnihiloest » 06/12/20, 21:15

izentrop wrote:...
In the race for quantum volume
Such a measure of quantum volume - dear to IBM - is an indicator of the overall power for quantum computing which does not only take into account the number of physical qubits, but elements such as the number and precisely the connectivity of the qubits, the rate of errors.

It is indeed a challenge to assess the power of a quantum computer. It is not a question of the number of operations per second, and this is also why the comparison with a classic computer is not easy, it will depend on the type of calculation to be performed.
We can still say that an ideal quantum computer has its power which increases exponentially with the number of Qubits.

I think it should go really fast in the next 10 years, for the hardware. For algos, it's been at least 20 years since research started, because we can simulate a quantum computer with a classical computer (obviously less speed). But from there to there being loads of tools available to develop large, practical applications, and well-trained developers, I'm less optimistic.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/12/20, 20:15

Same info by FS:

0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/02/21, 14:29

Uh ... the info seems serious !! : Shock: : Shock: : Shock:

$ 5000 for a small quantum computer! : Shock: : Shock: : Shock:

https://trustmyscience.com/premier-ordi ... ini-spinq/

But their new Gemini quantum computer (the new version) is smaller than ever and above all much cheaper. "This streamlined version is expected to hit the market in Q2021 12, so it can be more affordable for most K-10 schools around the world," the research team explains. The price of the machine is in stark contrast to that of current commercial quantum computers, which can cost around $ 50 million and process over XNUMX qubits. The technical details of the system have been published on the arXiv server.

Nuclear magnetic resonance for simplified quantum operation

On the other hand, and to be expected, Gemini is much less powerful, capable of processing only 2 qubits (a qubit being the quantum equivalent of a classical computer bit). It is based on an entirely different technology called “nuclear magnetic resonance”. This works by trapping specially selected molecules in a strong magnetic field, then channeling them with radiofrequency pulses to manipulate the spins of the atoms they contain.
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 19/02/21, 14:33

It's technically interesting but so inefficient that it won't interest any (?) "Normal" IT customer. Although, if that can make Candy Crush spin ... : Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/02/21, 14:41

I get queudale : Cheesy: : Cheesy: : Cheesy:

... I have no idea of ​​a correspondence between quBits and Tflops ... if someone could just enlighten us?
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 19/02/21, 15:26

Christophe wrote:I get queudale : Cheesy: : Cheesy: : Cheesy:

... I have no idea of ​​a correspondence between quBits and Tflops ... if someone could just enlighten us?

Well read the article of your link, it is explained. Briefly, but it is clearly said that for the moment it does not reach the ankle * of a "classic" computer of good quality. And with a lighter bill, above all. : Cheesy:
* For most applications, researchers admit that Gemini does not even come close to a conventional last generation computer ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/02/21, 15:31

Thank you I had read but that does not answer the question ...

In my opinion the answer is not simple, as usual in quantum ... ABC maybe?
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 19/02/21, 16:12

In quantum computing, a qubit or qu-bit (quantum + bit; pronounced /kju.bit/), sometimes written qbit, is a two-level quantum system, which is the smallest unit of quantum information storage. These two levels, denoted \ left | 0 \ right \ rangle and \ left | 1 \ right \ rangle according to the Dirac formalism, each represent a base state of the qubit and therefore make it the quantum analog of the bit. Thanks to the quantum superposition property, a qubit stores information qualitatively different from that of a bit. From a quantitative point of view, the amount of information managed by a qubit is virtually greater than that contained in a bit, but it is only partially accessible at the time of a measurement. The concept of qubit, while being discussed since the 1980s, was formalized by Benjamin Schumacher in 1995.
(wiki)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/02/21, 18:26

Oh ok !!! I saw it I read I understood nothing ...

Christophe wrote:
In my opinion the answer is not simple

QED!

What about the GHz level?
0 x
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 19/02/21, 20:50

the number of q bits does not give you information on the speed of the calculation, it depends on the system you put behind to read them! it would be rather an equivalent in number of CPU.

with N q-bit you can in principle process 2 ^ N calculations at a time. It is the fact that it grows exponentially with N that in principle makes the quantum computer much more powerful: with 15 q-bit you can process 32 operations at a time, and with 000, 30 billion ... except that a large number of q-bits is very complicated to handle because it very easily loses the quantum coherence essential to do the calculation (basically to make it very very simple they have to vibrate "together" without being disturbed by anything, and that it is not so obvious).

Well with 2 q-bit it's totally ridiculous ...
0 x
To pass for an idiot in the eyes of a fool is a gourmet pleasure. (Georges COURTELINE)

Mééé denies nui went to parties with 200 people and was not even sick moiiiiiii (Guignol des bois)

Back to "Electricity, electronics and computers: Hi-tech, Internet, DIY, lighting, materials, and new"