Cheap solar twilight detector with 12V relay

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

Cheap solar twilight detector with 12V relay

by Christophe » 23/03/09, 11:11

How to make an expensive twilight detector for, for example, automatic solar garden lighting?

A solution that I am about to test is as follows:
- put a 12V relay (recovery car if possible) directly on the 12V solar panel
- thus when the brightness weakens, the relay triggers and closes the lighting circuit
- in the morning it is the opposite: as soon as the panel is 12V, the relay trips.

Nothing prevents using a solar panel just to do this but it is more expensive.

Only drawback: the sensitivity will not be adjustable and there is an asymmetry in the triggering of the relays. Now nothing prevents to put a small potentiometer and a 6V relay instead of 12V to have an adjustable sensitivity range (but this will not resolve the asymmetry).

I ordered the gear (12V relay), a test will be done during the week.

Otherwise, even more "econological": do you think that we can use the components of autonomous solar lamps (a lot of crap on the market, sorry there are no other words) of which 8 out of 10 no longer work after a few months ? In other words: are there exploitable tensions?
0 x
Tagor
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: Expensive solar twilight detector with 12V relay

by Tagor » 23/03/09, 13:24

Christophe wrote:How to make an expensive twilight detector for, for example, automatic solar garden lighting?

A solution that I am about to test is as follows:
- put a 12V relay (recovery car if possible) directly on the 12V solar panel
- thus when the brightness weakens, the relay triggers and closes the lighting circuit
- in the morning it is the opposite: as soon as the panel is 12V, the relay trips.

Nothing prevents using a solar panel just to do this but it is more expensive.

Only drawback: the sensitivity will not be adjustable and there is an asymmetry in the triggering of the relays. Now nothing prevents to put a small potentiometer and a 6V relay instead of 12V to have an adjustable sensitivity range (but this will not resolve the asymmetry).

I ordered the gear (12V relay), a test will be done during the week.

Otherwise, even more "econological": do you think that we can use the components of autonomous solar lamps (a lot of crap on the market, sorry there are no other words) of which 8 out of 10 no longer work after a few months ? In other words: are there exploitable tensions?

I started from the velleman kit and I replaced the relay with 2 mosfets
and it's been working for 6 months, very economical in energy
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/03/09, 13:37

Yes I know this kit (we work with Velleman) it is very cheap but problem: you have to know how to weld it off a lot of people I think :(

https://www.econologie.com/shop/interrup ... p-251.html

The 12V relay solution is more "accessible": just connect.

I would like to try the 2nd solution also ... but in this case it could be as much work as the kit above ...

It was just to find the most economical solution.
Last edited by Christophe the 03 / 04 / 09, 14: 27, 1 edited once.
0 x
the boulle
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by the boulle » 23/03/09, 13:42

Hello

I confirm it's a very good kit,

I use it for my burner flame sensor

less than 10 €
0 x
tigrou_838
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

detector

by tigrou_838 » 23/03/09, 13:54

Hello,

if you want to tof, I weld it for you, to APPE I solder a good twenty platinum conrad.

this kind of plate with the explanatory note, I do that to you in 1 hour.

if you take one, you can take one for me too.

tigrou
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/03/09, 13:56

Maieeeeeuh Sir, people bother me! : Cheesy:

Thank you Tigger, but I know how to solder I have a soldering station also, but I said that for other readers of forums...

But good considering that it seems to please you, we are going to offer some kits on the shop ... it allows you to save a lot of money ...Long live the crisis!

In fact the automotive relay + support cost as much as the kit ...

Well I just have to test the 2 :)
0 x
boubka
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by boubka » 28/03/09, 10:53

Hello
here is the cheapest and the simplest (in + several applications)
the detector of everything
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/deltajp/montages/photo.html
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 03/04/09, 11:52

After 1 week of testing with the 12V relay assolar twilight switch I have to face the facts: it's a false good idea:

a) it lights up approximately 1h30 to 2h in advance approximately (compared to the need for external lighting)

b) when the sun is shining brightly, the relay is supplied with 15V: it does not like at all and overheats. Its lifespan is surely greatly reduced.

c) but above all: when the solar battery is charged, the solar panels make pulses of 1 to 2 seconds between 8V and 20V in my case. Suffice to say that the relay does not really like this. The relay is connected to the PV input on a solar regulator of this type: https://www.econologie.com/shop/regulat ... p-116.html

So, unless your solar configuration allows it (mine is not): the idea of ​​using a 12V relay is not the right one!
Last edited by Christophe the 03 / 04 / 09, 14: 28, 1 edited once.
0 x
Tagor
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Tagor » 03/04/09, 13:40

Christophe wrote:After 1 week of testing with the 12V relay as a solar twilight switch I have to face the facts: it's a false good idea:

a) it lights up approximately 1h30 to 2h in advance approximately (compared to the need for external lighting)

b) when the sun is shining brightly, the relay is supplied with 15V: it does not like at all and overheats. Its lifespan is surely greatly reduced.

c) but above all: when the solar battery is charged, the solar panels make pulses of 1 to 2 seconds between 8V and 20V in my case. Suffice to say that the relay does not really like this. The relay is connected to the PV input on a solar regulator of this type: https://www.econologie.com/shop/regulate ... p-116.html

So, unless your solar configuration allows it (mine is not): the idea of ​​using a 12V relay is not the right one!

I used the velleman kit and I replaced the relay with 4 mosfets

including 3 outings:

- a day trip (and battery> 10 volts)
- a night out (and battery> 10 volts)
- an overvoltage output if the battery is> 14 volts
for load shedding

I have the solar panel sold here, everything works very well
for 1 year already
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 03/04/09, 13:47

Hello Tagor

I used the velleman kit and I replaced the relay with 4 mosfets

including 3 outings:

- a day trip (and battery> 10 volts)
- a night out (and battery> 10 volts)
- an overvoltage output if the battery is> 14 volts
for load shedding

I have the solar panel sold here, everything works very well
for 1 year already

You could make us the diagram of the assembly with the 4 mosfets !?
Goods.
A+
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132