Computer inverter to make an emergency home lighting

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Computer inverter for home lighting backup

by phil59 » 04/07/22, 12:31

You are the only member of forum who bothered to read this??????????

Ok, no one should be interested...

Or "waiting for info on know-how", where he video where it sucks, where "what?
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 28/07/22, 21:24

I'll answer myself, it's not that easy to do with 18650 batteries, even with BMS....

You have to modify the inverter, its charging system, to have something correct, which does not "fire" the shack, over time ....

So, you have to keep lead type batteries.
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Christophe

by Christophe » 05/09/22, 12:36

If it's easy but you have to be careful and equipped with a minimum...

There are plenty of videos on youtube how to make a battery with 18650 and wire the BMS, for example:

0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 05/09/22, 16:31

The pb is not there.

This is a solution that does not last in the long term, but above all there is a risk of fire.

One of my questions is also at the time to replace 4X12V, or to put a general bms, like 13S, see 14S at the max from max.

But there, he would be in the cellar, and even if I'm not too cautious, there, that doesn't suit me.
The other place is the attic, and there it is even worse.

Otherwise, my 5th panel is connected, works .... I will have to recommend 1 .... on my support, the 2 panels are mounted.
0 x

sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 05/09/22, 17:39

phil59 wrote:This is a solution that does not last in the long term, but above all there is a risk of fire.

One of my questions is also at the time to replace 4X12V, or to put a general bms, like 13S, see 14S at the max from max.

But there, he would be in the cellar, and even if I'm not too cautious, there, that doesn't suit me.

I admit I don't understand your answer....Do you want to use li-ion batteries or not, as you mentioned in July?
What is this story of BMS 13S, this story of cellar or attic, and not too chilly?

Try to be a little clearer in your presentation of the subject. And what is your question(s)?
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/09/22, 17:43

phil59 wrote:This is a solution that does not last in the long term, but above all there is a risk of fire.

Oh good ? Only those who don't use a lithium battery say that...a well-designed and, above all, well-used lithium battery will last 15 to 20 years...that's more than the vast majority of internal combustion cars sold today!

What do you want ? 50 years ? : Lol:

Your sentence there is a false aphorism, it's a bit like the legendary reliability of BMWs: only those who don't have one don't know it's bullshit! : Mrgreen:

phil59 wrote:But there, he would be in the cellar, and even if I'm not too cautious, there, that doesn't suit me.

If it's cool and not too humid, no worries for a battery...
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 05/09/22, 19:10

I will try to be a little clearer...

On a PC UPS, putting lead batteries from thermal vehicles is not a problem, just that it's not designed for slow discharges, and it won't last long. But no risks. I have one of 160W max, like that, for the circulator of the hydro wood stove, and backup of the gas boiler.
The battery was recovered from a scrapped vehicle, and has served its purpose well since 2019, but is now beginning to show signs of fatigue.

There, I bought an inverter, (30€, given for 1950 VA or something of the kind), which has 4 12V batteries, hs.

My initial idea was to put 18650s to replace these lead batteries.
Initially, too, I ordered 3S BMSs, to simulate 12V.
MY question was also why not make a direct 48V battery from the 18650, and there, put a BMS 13S or 14 ....

After consulting an expert in the field, this one actually told me, that worked, yes, it will do, but it was not a good solution.
For it to be good, the inverter should already be designed to put this type of battery, and who manages it.
The BMS is a solution but not suitable enough to replace lead with life-po or 18650 cells.
The risk of fires is quite high.
The pb is not the operation, because it works well, but the risks involved.

I'm not cautious about taking risks, my OCCAZ solar panels, I put them in the middle of the garden, no worries.

But there, the inverter, to make a backup of the lighting, it is necessarily in the cellar, or in the attic, therefore in the house. Attic out of the question, too much wood, the cellar would remain, where I could isolate a little from the rest, but it's still risky...

To say that in 2017-2018 I could recover 54 of these batteries for 10€ each, which came from the 2 inverters at work, from 15 kVA, in sorting, batteries never jostled....

batter10.jpg
batter10.jpg (133.77 KiB) Viewed 589 times

batter11.jpg
batter11.jpg (191.13 KiB) Viewed 589 times

face_a10.jpg
face_a10.jpg (202.08 KiB) Viewed 589 times
0 x

sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 05/09/22, 21:08

So your problem is solved in terms of the technical solution that you prefer, you still have to find 4 12V lead batteries?
I understood well?
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 05/09/22, 21:32

We can say that for the pure inverter part, yes.

In fact, I managed to save 2 batteries, I have another from another small inverter, and it would take at least another so, to do the first tests, but these batteries are too small for a real use, it's still good for a time-limited juice cut. I have another battery, but which is much higher in capacity...

Will stay after the system optimization part.
0 x

sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 05/09/22, 21:40

phil59 wrote:
In fact, I managed to save 2 batteries, I have another one from another small inverter, and it would take at least another one so,...

And the one you photographed, she couldn't go for the tests?
0 x