Best lounge indirect lighting LED fluorescent tubes?

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
davidex
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Best lounge indirect lighting LED fluorescent tubes?

by davidex » 22/04/15, 10:27

Hello,
my living room has no direct lighting, but a half-cornice which goes around the room and in which the former owner installed old fluorescent tubes (ten). Indirect lighting is uniform and pleasant.

However, I am trying to reduce the electrical consumption of this room, so I am looking at the solutions to replace these long tubes with the least voracious solutions possible while keeping the same principle (indirect lighting) and the same brightness.

The tubes are old, and the balast / supports too, so no problem for me to change everything. The electrical assembly is made up of electrical wires connecting each neon support mounted one after the other.

Suddenly, I look towards the fluorescent LED tubes (Philips MasterLED tube type or others, if you know any). With warm white lighting if possible.

- Has anyone ever laid such fluorescent LED tubes? What is your opinion ?

- Is it important to change the support of these tubes (very old) by more recent supports / new generation balast?

- Are there other more economical solutions still in indirect lighting? (since I have 10 tubes to light up my living room, consumption figures quickly).

Thank you for your answers.
Sincerely,
0 x
- Audacious Fortuna Juvat -
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 22/04/15, 11:22

the good old fluorescent tubes are not bad at all in light output, provided they are changed often enough: well before being dead their output decreases by wear of the fluorescent layer, exactly like CFLs, except that in general compact fluorescents fail before this drop in performance

indirect lighting makes in principle a loss of light, since the ceiling is not a mirror ... we would have to see if there are no specially reflective paint for this kind of ceiling
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 22/04/15, 11:22

Led tubes (and not LED fluorescent, which makes little sense) look like conventional fluorescent tubes, but have nothing to do with their technical reality; this is why these tubes are paired with a specific support.
The consumption of a standard led tube is 15 w => 150 w (instead of 360 w with fluorescent lamps) for 10 tubes, which is still a lot: indirect lighting inevitably generates a lot of losses ...

If the LEDs are not visible (which seems logical), you can also consider a strip of LEDs, perhaps more economical (to see)?
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
hic
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: Best indirect living room lighting using fluorescent tubes

by hic » 22/04/15, 11:35

davidex wrote:Hello,
my living room has no direct lighting, but a half-cornice which goes around the room and in which the former owner installed old fluorescent tubes (ten). Indirect lighting is uniform and pleasant.
Thank you for your answers.
Sincerely,

Hi davidex

The characteristic of this type of lighting is a decrease in contrast and poor performance
in photography, a blur on the flash (adhesive) breaks the light and increases the nuances of colors on the photo

To make economic and optimize the yield
we obtain almost the same thing with direct lighting of the room with blurring and without the source being visible,

plus the equivalent of 2 fronts directed towards the ceiling from the cornices,
should be enough to unblock it out of the dark

The LEDs are by construction directive the light coming from only one face of a plate
and diffuses in less than half a sphere
Last edited by hic the 22 / 04 / 15, 12: 20, 7 edited once.
0 x
davidex
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by davidex » 22/04/15, 11:40

From what I understood, thePhilips Master LED tube can be used on existing neon supports, with or without choke (some reference of these tubes integrate it in the tube).

But I also read (in this topic) that there are possibilities for improvement by changing the ballast to take more economical ones (type A2).

And also in a more artisanal way, by adding aluminum foil in my all along for "better reflection" (wouldn't it be better to install mirrors in this case) ...

On the other hand, I am not steadfast enough to realize the effectiveness of the LED rolls (like the one sold here) compared to my current tube lighting.
- Consumption: 17W / 1.4 A or 3.4W / m
- Light output: around 200 lumens per meter
- Total light power: about 1000 lumens

I will take pictures of the assembly in my living room to give you an idea of ​​the problem and provide you with more technical information (assembly of the tubes, type and power of these old tubes ...). I will post them as soon as possible.
0 x
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by A.D. 44 » 22/04/15, 11:54

Hello,

Ahmed wrote:If the LEDs are not visible (which seems logical), you can also consider a led strip, maybe more economical (to see)?

+1

garlands hidden in the ledge

davidex wrote:And also in a more artisanal way, by adding aluminum foil in my all along for "better thinking"

+1

a shiny coating
0 x
davidex
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by davidex » 22/04/15, 17:04

After checking, I have 10 tubes with these references: Sylvania ES Standard - F36W / 133-ST, 1m20 in length.

I found the following characteristics for these tubes:
- 36W consumption.
- Cold white
- G13
- 2850 lumens per tube.

I have 5 tubes for the back of the room, and 5 for the front of the room (I can turn on either one or both).

If I am not mistaken, I have 5x2850 = 14250 lumens for each side of my living room?

To reach the same level of brightness with LED ribbons, so I would have to install 14 for each side?

: - /

I'm wrong somewhere?
Last edited by davidex the 22 / 04 / 15, 17: 21, 2 edited once.
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 22/04/15, 17:14

davidex wrote:I'm wrong somewhere?
The calculations are correct.

Note that the Philips MasterLED 1,2 m tube has a brightness of 1600 lumens.
A replacement of the current tubes by identical MasterLed in number will therefore lead to a reduction in brightness of 44%.

On the other hand, do we often need 10 tubes simultaneously :?:
0 x
davidex
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by davidex » 22/04/15, 17:21

I have a rather large living room, and as I indicated previously, I have 5 tubes for the back of the room, and 5 for the front of the room: so I can light either one or the other is both.

Which is often the case in the evening, I only light one part.

I had not yet done the calculation, but I consume 360watts when everything is on !!! It's enormous ! (well I think)

If I have to buy 28 light strips, it is far from being economical ... So we have to find LED tubes and high performance ballasts, ... or downright brighter strips :-)

Tracks or ideas on your side? Any montages you've done? See prices / tube references?

Thank you for your feedback and your food for thought.

I'm looking for the (best) solution (s) available today in terms of energy efficiency without losing too much comfort.

Here are the pictures:

The ledge and the light (very violent in the photo, but it is much softer in real life)

Cables that run inside with two of the tubes:
0 x
davidex
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by davidex » 22/04/15, 17:44

To complete, I have several problems:
1- I absolutely do not know the type of ballast installed for these tubes (electronic or electromagnetic). Is it important ?
What is the least energy-consuming currently? Do you have references or buy them?

2- I do not know how these tubes were mounted (series, parallel, ...) and if I change ballast, how to mount these tubes.

3- To not look too much of a zombie, it is better that I find "warm" light tubes, would 3000K be fine?

4- I can maybe find longer LED tubes and put less (put only 4 of 1,50m instead of 5 of 1,20m)
Philips Master LEDtube Value has a flux of 3000 lumens and consumes 23 Watts on electromagnetic ballast.

It is indicated here in their flyer that these tubes have a rotating tip (could it go on my supports?) and a reinforced flow HO (???) - What is a reinforced flow?

Or a consumption of 92 watts for each side if I put 4 instead of 5 (184 watts total instead of 360W, a decrease of 51% of my current consumption).

Can we do better? Ways of thinking?
Thank you for your help.
0 x