new motorcycle battery lead: to charge or not?

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

new motorcycle battery lead: to charge or not?

by Christophe » 01/10/12, 17:44

Everything is in the title and the instructions do not say it: should we recharge a new lead battery where we just put the electrolyte?

Indeed; the motorcycle batteries unlike the car batteries are delivered electrolyte separately ...
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 01/10/12, 17:57

They are charged before removal of the electrolyte, so theoretically not needed. In practice I would say that a little shot charger can not hurt (well it depends on the charger ...)
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 01/10/12, 18:03

All lead acid batteries must be recharged before use, it includes car batteries, deep cycle batteries, motorcycle, snowmobile and others, they are all delivered without electrolyte, except for those with gels which I do not know because they m 'were delivered with the gel.

They are delivered dry so new with no contact with the electrolyte!

A battery without electrolyte does not wear while with yes!
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/10/12, 19:37

Ben am well advanced lol

I believe there is still a little "empty" electrolyte (before putting the acid) because the voltage without acid is 7V ... with it is (empty without having been recharged) slightly under the 13V (I just had to change 3 motorcycle batteries all HS by, I suppose, an electromagnetic storm ...?!?).

Well I'll still put a little smart charger ...
0 x
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

Re: New motorcycle battery lead: to recharge or not?

by Other » 01/10/12, 22:09

Hello
Christophe wrote:Everything is in the title and the instructions do not say it: should we recharge a new lead battery where we just put the electrolyte?

Indeed; the motorcycle batteries unlike the car batteries are delivered electrolyte separately ...

There are many theories about batterries at pomb
In the big box stores the batteries are sold with the electrolyte in them and they have received a rather consistent primary charge, as there is a significant turnover it does not have time to deteriorate.
Normally a battery that leaves the factory is kept dry and over a long period of time, when the sale is added water and sulfuric acid then it must be given an activation charge, this charge must be fairly well met and sufisament strong then we continue on a longer period a lower load) the first charge of activation plays a big role on the capacity of batterrie.
The most damaging to the batteries is an under load and the fact of not doing winter storage work and neglect of not doing a discharge and a vigorous load.

I use a small lawn tractor battery to start an 4 aircraft engine that has 130mm pistons of 6,6 liters of cylinders and it even operates a-20
When I buy the guy puts the electrolyte in and I do not want him to charge it I'm obsessed (his garentie I have that ..) it's a pretty strong load 30amperes at the beginning and then I charge a few amperes while monitoring its temperature, hot to the touch, I let it bubble for several hours.

Andre
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 01/10/12, 22:59

You can mount it on the vehicle and ride it to reload it, but I doubt that you make 8h non-stop road to give it an initial charge in good conditions. it will only be a partial charge.
So a first preliminary charge with a good charger is still often recommended. Some "smart" chargers have a so-called "activation" charging mode (mine does anyway) but I'm not sure what it does.
0 x