Self-powered weight room

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
fredschmidt
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Self-powered weight room

by fredschmidt » 02/02/09, 16:30

Hello,
as part of a project at my engineering school, my group would like to design an ecological weight bench, equipped with a generator so as to supply part or all of the weight room.

Having come across a related subject:
https://www.econologie.com/forums/equiper-les-machines-de-musculation-de-generatrices-t6920.html
I decided to post on this forum to get your opinion.

There are already bicycles producing energy to power a part of the weight room, but it is rather rare (some rooms in the USA). We would therefore like to expand this range by developing other strength training devices equipped with generators to make this concept more common.

The goal is to allow the room to be fed only thanks to the strength of its visitors.

The electrical energy can be stored in a general battery (1 for the room) so as to also supply power when there is no machine user (for the cleaning lady for example).

For the moment, we are only at the beginning of the project, in the market study part, that is why I am asking you for your opinion and how you imagine such a machine.

Thank you
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 02/02/09, 19:41

For machines to pedal or to run, no problem, but I do not see how to proportion the efforts on a weight or spring machine: the races are very short and the forces important

What seems difficult to me in any situation is adjusting the balance of force recovered from effort (which must be adjustable) and energy absorbed by the battery to be charged.

If your battery is already well charged, what will you do with the extra energy? I would rather tend to heat the water in the showers.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/02/09, 19:49

Totally does not count: too much fluctuation to manage and probably too much power required.

To properly illuminate a sports hall of an "average" size, I easily think 1000W (fluorescent tube) is at least 10 apparatus in operation with an average power of 100W. And 100W is already a lot ...

Then how would it be for the last user? Is he going out in the dark or with a flashlight? : Cheesy:

Also forget the battery: reinjection into the network would be the easiest and most reliable of things: so the meter would slow down when it "rowed".

On the other hand I would see a "big display" giving the instantaneous power produced by all the users, it would be especially educational.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 02/02/09, 20:33

the exact display of the power supplied by each device would be very informative, to give a real idea of ​​what a kwh really is

I have already put an alternator on a bike: it makes you sweat much faster than a normal exercise bike that grinds in a vacuum
0 x