An Internet day without Google ... or almost ...

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

An Internet day without Google ... or almost ...

by Christophe » 07/03/12, 16:13

My day without Google, the difficult rediscovery of the Internet

One more test in my career as a hyperconnected journalist. The day after the modification of the confidentiality rules of Google, Friday March 2, the challenge was launched to me to live and work a day without Google to study the alternatives to services which have become very common.

From morning to evening, I spend my time surrounded by technologies developed by Google: the Chrome browser, Google.fr, Gmail, Google docs, YouTube and above all, the Android mobile system that I use on smartphones and tablets. Little account of this Monday when I tried to replace my addiction to Google with more open solutions.

When I wake up, my Android smartphone is replaced by two objects: a classic alarm clock and a Nokia N95, loaned by a friend. The Nokia N95, a device with a 3G mobile connection, today unable to open Google. It is therefore sufficient to telephone or send SMS.

First reflex in the morning: check my Gmail emails on my PC. The service is replaced here by an address linked to my personal site, which I use in its Web version (the Roundcube "Webmail" in this case) for the day. Transferring my emails and contacts from Gmail is pretty straightforward, with Google using standard methods.

The only difficulty in this transition was to get used to a new interface, less rich than that of Gmail, and to a smaller storage space. It is difficult to find such a convenient online e-mail management system to simply classify all your messages as they arrive, without resorting to a "client", software installed on a computer like Mozilla Thunderbird. The lack of a holistic view of threaded messages, introduced by Gmail, is also quite confusing.

GOODBYE GMAIL, CHROME AND GOOGLE.FR

(...)

Suite: http://www.lemonde.fr/technologies/arti ... 51865.html
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/08/13, 12:12

A "small outage" Friday to Saturday at Google, impact:

Google: 11-minute blackout drops web traffic by 40%
It only took eleven minutes to collapse global Internet traffic
. Sixteen Google applications were affected.

(...)

http://www.01net.com/editorial/601382/g ... pour-cent/
0 x