Rolland Moreno, French inventor of BC, is dead

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/04/12, 20:33

... only 66 years old ...

Roland Moreno, the inventor of the smart card in 1974, died Sunday at the age of 66, leaving behind a technology that revolutionized uses around the world but whose patents had long since fallen into the public domain. .

Born June 11, 1945 in Cairo, this electronics enthusiast, with a scientific baccalaureate in his pocket, began an eclectic career which saw him successively runner-up for the weekly L'Express or employed in writing at the Ministry of Social Affairs and Jobs which did not prevent him from pursuing his great passion, electronic experiments.

In 1972 he founded the company Innovatron with the objective of "selling ideas". Two years later, he filed his first patents for the "memory card", an integrated circuit capable of containing and processing information.

"I found the solution in my sleep while dreaming. In truth, I am a big lazy person and I have a very low productivity", he told in 2006 to France Soir who asked him how he had invented the smart card .

"I am jealous, very spendthrift, totally sedentary and distracted. I have undoubtedly a professor Nimbus side", he declared then.

Two years earlier, he had estimated in an interview with the same newspaper to be "of public utility": "I say it without any modesty. I have made life easier for people, from the card of mobile phones to the Vitale card, via the Blue Card. But I do not deserve the Nobel Prize for all that, the chip is not a discovery but an invention ".

The invention of the smart card has led to multiple uses, such as the bank credit card, the SIM card used in mobile telephones or the Vitale de la Sécurité Sociale card.

But if Roland Moreno will file some 45 patents until 1979 - which would have brought him a total of 100 million euros - these patents in turn fell into the public domain after twenty years, the last having escaped him in 1999.

The company Innovatron then found itself in a very difficult financial situation, it laid off a large part of its staff and sold several of its activities.

Today, it is focusing in particular on the development of contactless cards, such as the one used for the Navigo pass used in Parisian public transport.

In 2000, Roland Moreno announced that he would offer one million francs to anyone who succeeded in violating an existing smart card within three months, a bet he had won.

Father of two daughters, Mr. Moreno was also the author of several books: Eurêka, Théorie du bordel ambient, and Carte à puce, the secret story.

He was made an officer of the Legion of Honor in 2009.

To France Soir who asked him if he had a fantasy, Roland Moreno replied: "I am already quoted in dictionaries such as Larousse or Littré, but my ambition would be to enter the Musée Grévin. For me, it would be the most formidable consecration ".

"It is said that God owes a lot to Johann Sebastian Bach. Well, I would like people to say that the French owe a lot to Moreno," he added.

Source: http://tempsreel.nouvelobs.com/topnews/ ... -puce.html

His wiki page: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Moreno
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 29/04/12, 22:08

I have never understood the disparity between a patent for invention which is very expensive and only lasts 20 years,
and a literary or musical work (even the bad ones ...) which allow copyright for 1 century, for not much as a start.

In addition an "invention", which has been tested before making a patent, has already cost a maximum in investment for its discoverer.
: Cry:
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 29/04/12, 22:45

Very sad that he did not live longer!

He had to fight for his smart card, rather sunk by the banks !!

Small jobs, starting from a passionate imaginative, who believed in his inventions.
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 30/04/12, 00:02

gegyx wrote:I have never understood the disparity between a patent for invention which is very expensive and only lasts 20 years,
and a literary or musical work (even the bad ones ...) which allow copyright for 1 century, for not much as a start.

In addition an "invention", which has been tested before making a patent, has already cost a maximum in investment for its discoverer.

Ah it's HS, but patent and copyright protection is cumulative even on a technical invention ...

Otherwise, it's sad news, of course ...
0 x
antoinet111
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by antoinet111 » 30/04/12, 12:01

gegyx wrote:I have never understood the disparity between a patent for invention which is very expensive and only lasts 20 years,

it is for this reason that for the creation of variety of plants that it was increased to 30 years. (often not easy to reimburse the creation costs)
0 x
I vote for the writing of concrete post and practicality.
Down the talkers and ceiling fans!
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 30/04/12, 12:12

the title is not good.

The CB Carte Bancaire existed before R Moreno.

What he invented is the smart CB version.
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 30/04/12, 13:59

For me CB = Citizen Band
The redneck radio before the invention you chat on the internet (dedicate77 you copy me?)
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 30/04/12, 16:25

CB = Bidon money creation ...

Okay, other than that that shows how the banking industry works, right? They are for innovation as long as he fully controls it 'Spa. Otherwise you can always scratch yourself for money. Or if you need 100, they are willing to lend you 000 million ....

Moreno was largely a victim of this system. Maybe he should have opened his own bank :?:

May he rest in peace.
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 30/04/12, 20:18

Obamot wrote:CB = Bidon money creation ...

Okay, other than that that shows how the banking industry works, right? They are for innovation as long as he fully controls it 'Spa. Otherwise you can always scratch yourself for money. Or if you need 100, they are willing to lend you 000 million ....

Moreno was largely a victim of this system. Maybe he should have opened his own bank :?:

May he rest in peace.

Moreno, victim?
We think we're dreaming.
He ended up being a multi millionaire thanks to his smart card.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 01/05/12, 00:52

If those who filed patents and made a living from their inventions, were numerous: that would be known! That's what I was trying to say.

... for my part I do not know, I am referring to what was written above. It does not seem to have fallen straight into his mouth anyway.

So if the last ten or fifteen years he has "won", it will not have benefited him for very long.
0 x

Back to "Electricity, electronics and computers: Hi-tech, Internet, DIY, lighting, materials, and new"