ANSES: LEDs and the risks associated with their use

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 29/10/10, 15:57

Before being categorical! If we talk about the UV lamps that we use in nightclubs and that transform your t-shirts and white surfaces in purple color, then we must protect ourselves and not fix them.

More for LEDs intended for domestic lighting, the fact that they cover some UV-A perceptible by humans (from 380 to 400nm) as well as the "visible light" spectrum from 380 to 700nm so suppose we are dazzled simultaneously with this one and the pupil will close de facto by preventing the UV spectrum from entering, right?!

The only danger could come from specific specular reflections which would promote UV rays without causing a pupillary reflex, but here .... it should be noted that the Sun covers a much wider spectrum than that of this "visible light" (a fortiriori that of LED) it includes UVa that cross clouds in summer and winter, so we cannot know how much we are receiving! But I don't know of any who are staring at it and yet the Sun isn't forbidden, is it ?! : Mrgreen:

I have at home two LED lamps including a panel of 60 LED, and it is absolutely not possible to fix the eyes, except to force to do it (which is absolutely not indicated, as with n ' any other type of lighting).

It's not like we only have UV in the face, not like a disco lamp!

But thank you for this useful clarification, which should push us all the same to be wary of any type of lighting and in particular to take more precautions with it and possibly pay attention to "non-dazzling side leaks".
Last edited by Obamot the 29 / 10 / 10, 16: 09, 2 edited once.
0 x
bamboo
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bamboo » 29/10/10, 16:06

Obamot wrote:It must be pointed out that the Sun covers a much wider spectrum than that of this "visible light" (Stronger than the LEDs) it includes the UVa that cross the clouds summer and winter, so we can not know how much we receive! But I do not know who stares at it, and yet the sun is not forbidden, if ?! : Mrgreen:

You are right about the extent of the sunlight but, (yes, you guessed it, that there would be a "but : Cheesy: ), but, I still add a precision: as soon as you go outside (by day) your pupils close, even when there are clouds and you have the impression that the light is weak. Because the power of sunlight is out of proportion to most of the artificial lights we use (especially LEDs).
0 x
Solar Production + VE + VAE = short cycle electricity
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 29/10/10, 16:15

There is no "But" [joke inside : Cheesy: ] because I do not see very well, how one could be affected ONLY by the UV which comes out of an LED, without also being dazzled by the light of all the "visible spectrum" which emerges simultaneously from the same source and with much more power, since optimized for this use ?!

(Nah !? : Lol: )
0 x
bamboo
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bamboo » 29/10/10, 16:46

Obamot wrote:There is no "But" [joke inside : Cheesy: ] because I do not see very well, how one could be affected ONLY by the UV which comes out of an LED, without also being dazzled by the light of all the "visible spectrum" which emerges simultaneously from the same source and with much more power, since optimized for this use ?!

(Nah !? : Lol: )

In fact, when you look at the spectrum of light, it is very wide. I deduce (perhaps wrongly) that UVs represent only 1 or 2% of sunlight (despite my research, I could not find any numbers).
With an LED, the spectrum is very small, so the UVs in the light are probably higher (10%?)
0 x
Solar Production + VE + VAE = short cycle electricity
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 29/10/10, 20:51

Are not you sure? : Cheesy: No, no! There is nothing to fear ...

For the latest generation "white" (LED in domestic lighting) the covered spectrum is almost completely contained in the visible spectrum (from 400 to 700 nm ...>). It is therefore not a question of percent with a clear cut between different parts of the radiation, but of continuous coverage: frequency from "x" to "y" according to Wikipedia.

So even in your "%" hypothesis, the amount of UV? If there is any, it must be closer to 0% than to 1%, since the LEDs provided for this use do not emit in this wavelength a priori ...
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 04/11/10, 12:00

Seen on the TSR, the spectrum of light in the blue, would be a great way to fight against seasonal depression ...
0 x

Back to "Electricity, electronics and computers: Hi-tech, Internet, DIY, lighting, materials, and new"