How to install Linux Ubuntu and Kubuntu 8.10?

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

How to install Linux Ubuntu and Kubuntu 8.10?

by Christophe » 21/11/08, 14:42

Aye it's decided, this weend I turn this unrealistic Vista crap and I install Ubuntu (multiboot still to begin) on our 2 laptops: a recent kubuntu 64 bit and an old (2002) normal processor ubuntu in gnome...

For those who want to upgrade to Linux, here is where you can download .iso to burn: http://www.ubuntu-fr.org/telechargement

The apt-get system (ubuntu is an "evolution" of debian) allows you to download and install any software automatically as long as you have an internet connection! Ze Top!

And here is a nice comparative test: http://www.cullt.org/modules.php?name=N ... le&sid=445

I want you to juice! Hoping that it gives ideas to others!
Last edited by Christophe the 21 / 11 / 08, 15: 17, 1 edited once.
0 x
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 21/11/08, 14:56

Hi Christophe, I will very carefully follow you first step, in Ubuntu ....
We had already talked about it in a post before this one, and my enthusiasm was very big!

I'm going to install it on an old machine, which turned out to be too old ... I would have a lot of questions to ask you about the small problems that you will have encountered (or not!)

I will follow your thread with interest, please let us know
:P
0 x
By removing Human Nature, he was far from his nature! Lietseu
"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?
One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 21/11/08, 14:57

yep, I also advise, it's quite revolutionary, everything installs itself and works alone, no need for drivers etc ... amazing!
on the other hand I kept vista on my mobile to discover one day (the portable drivers all work), installed xp (all my tools) and linux (open!), if there is that interested in the approach ;-)

on the other hand I chose Ubuntu version Gnome and not Kubuntu version KDE, following the advice of a friend saying that it was very successful. so all my friends go there too.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/11/08, 15:09

Lietseu wrote:Hi Christophe, I will very carefully follow you first step, in Ubuntu ....
We had already talked about it in a post before this one, and my enthusiasm was very big!

Ayé the image is engraved! Oh miracle we can install it from Windows !! You do not even have to boot on the cd! It has evolved a lot since my 1ere linux attempt (Mandriva in 2000 I think and quickly abandoned because he did not recognize my network card ...)

Lietseu wrote:I'm going to install it on an old machine, which turned out to be too old ... I would have a lot of questions to ask you about the small problems that you will have encountered (or not!)

Ben attention, contrary to what many people think, Linux (in graphic version) can also be very greedy material resources!

Well, we'll never think about Vista !! :D

Lietseu wrote:I will follow your thread with interest, please let us know :P

It will be done! Already putting the CD in the reader offers:
a) demo without install (which I just chose) and complete installation
b) installation from windows (like software)

Jonule, doing this in Root you can go from one version to another:

Switch from Ubuntu to Kubuntu (and vice versa)

Although they are available separately, downloadable under two distributions, we can easily have both at the same time!

Why own both? By simple pleasure!

To get there, open a console (terminal) and enter the following instructions:

Install Kubuntu on Ubuntu: "sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop" and press the "Enter" key voila!

Install Ubuntu on Kubuntu: "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop" and hit the "Enter" key!

Here! to switch to the other environment, leave your current session and choose KDE or Gnome on the login screen! This avoids installing two operating systems because they actually have the same base and you actually install an additional graphical environment.

I do not understand there are still network admin (public service but also many companies) who choose to pay monstrous licenses for both OS (xp, vista) than for software (office ...) while there is free solutions !! In some where there is no choice ok but there ...

A big story under all that ...Only OpenOffice should be compulsory at school !!!
Last edited by Christophe the 21 / 11 / 08, 15: 12, 1 edited once.
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: I'm installing Linux Ubuntu and Kubuntu 8.10 this weend

by Targol » 21/11/08, 15:10

Christophe wrote:For those who want to upgrade to Linux, here is where you can download .iso to burn: http://www.ubuntu-fr.org/telechargement

You will find on the wiki of this site a contributor to the nickname Targol. Does it remind you of something? : Cheesy:

Personally, I'm on Ubuntu (Hardy Heron) since 6mois at home and since 2mois at work.
I'm really happy.
If you need help Christophe, do not hesitate to signal me.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/11/08, 15:14

Ah, thank you Targol! And congratulations for having put at work! Image

Which packages do you advise me to install in addition to the basic ones? Is there a listing of all available packages?

How to transfer files by network in nux and windows (without going through an ftp?)?

Ay ca boot on the demo CD ... it looks like it works ...
0 x
C moa
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by C moa » 21/11/08, 15:24

Do you know where I can find win4linux ??
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/11/08, 15:26

Uh? It is a Windows emulator under linux?

It must look like the thing that has on all mac (Mac OS = linux now) no?

Christophe wrote:Is there a listing of all available packages?

I withdraw the question, there is apparently a "package manager" ...
Last edited by Christophe the 21 / 11 / 08, 15: 35, 1 edited once.
0 x
renaud67
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by renaud67 » 21/11/08, 15:38

a little off topic,
if you test some application by installing a minimum of "things" under windows ...
http://www.thindownload.com/
not bad
0 x
The absurdities of yesterday are the truths of today and tomorrow banalities.
(Alessandro Marandotti)
C moa
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by C moa » 21/11/08, 15:49

Christophe wrote:Uh? It is a Windows emulator under linux?
Basically yes, it allows to keep some windows software when you have no other choice.
0 x