Eeebox, savings and consumer society

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Arthur_64
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Eeebox, savings and consumer society

by Arthur_64 » 03/05/09, 12:34

Hello everybody

My PC was about 3 years old (CM and processor), 2 years for the CG. The electric consumption bothered me a lot, especially since it is a PC with which we did neither game nor video editing, in short nothing greedy in resources.

3 weeks ago, I took the plunge and bought an EeeBox ( http://www.blogeee.net/codex/index.php? ... eeBox_B202 ). Theoretical consumption: 35W (no PM 230 so I cannot confirm). I hastened to install a Debian Squeeze on it, and it's more than enough for office work, surfing and hacking. It is an understatement to say that my sweet and I are delighted (the old PC is going to go to Emmaüs).

I have always wondered about the need to make more and more powerful machines, mainly to run more and more greedy Windows or games. I also find that code optimization is hardly present in current developments, unfortunately. Especially when I see my colleagues who every year get a "top" config.

Consumer society, when you hold us! Netbooks and nettops are struggling to convince analysts and others, who see them as gdgets, when I think they represent the future, tasks requiring high computing capacity can be outsourced in efficient data centers.

But just as you must have a recent and well gadgeted car (air conditioning, GPS, reversing radar, ...), you must have a state-of-the-art PC to go see the latest video of the cat entering a box on youtube , or to write a little email to Tata Germaine.

This is a post not very constructed but which summarizes my current state of mind ...
0 x
PITMIX
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by PITMIX » 03/05/09, 14:45

Hello
Nice initiative! Above all pay attention to the cleanliness of the fan and the entire interior of your box. This kind of small box heats up quickly and burns out easily if you don't take care of it regularly. My stepfather paid the price. Motherboard toasted after 1 year and a half. The first sign of overheating is when the image disappears on its own.
A+
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 03/05/09, 15:27

:?: I did not know the product. what is the budget
If I understood correctly, it is a "decreasing" central unit in the spirit of portable PCs of the eepc type.
:?:

The concept is very interesting. Even if I am more tempted by eepc.
0 x
yannko
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by yannko » 03/05/09, 15:36

Excellent initiative also in my opinion 8) ! I had the opportunity to work a little on this Asus box, it was very good and very satisfactory for office automation (also with a linux above).
I sincerely think that more and more portable and economical machines will prevail, there is only to see the embedded market which completely explodes traditional IT in terms of technicality, energy progress and innovation.
Keep us informed of your different feedback from this machine :)!
0 x
Arthur_64
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Arthur_64 » 03/05/09, 16:13

citro wrote::?: I did not know the product. what is the budget
If I understood correctly, it is a "decreasing" central unit in the spirit of portable PCs of the eepc type.
:?:

You've understood everything.

€ 249.95 at LDLC for XP and Linux models. For the same price, you have twice as much ram (2GB) and hard drive (160GB) in Win than in XP.

I allow myself to put the links, a modo flog me if it is an odd:

Windows:
http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00076816.html

Under Linux:
http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00081062.html

For returns, it's been a real pleasure for 3 weeks (I'm on Debian I remember). And the silence is really pleasant!
0 x

Back to "Electricity, electronics and computers: Hi-tech, Internet, DIY, lighting, materials, and new"