Consumption of an electric transformer

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Chatham » 14/12/07, 12:59

dreamer wrote:I was thinking about it .... to make a double network in the houses.
Is this an idea already applied?

It could be a good idea and it would do the job for the electrician lol

Dreamer

Not a good idea: you need very large electric cables with 12v: hello the price and the waste of material ...
The only case where a double circuit is used is on 12v or 24v DC boats on batteries (for the external circuit or dedicated "marine" devices or 110v / 60hz or 230v / 50hz alternating for "land" devices: in this case we of course use a converter eg 24V-> 230v, the efficiency is not bad but it is expensive (count 1 € per watt ...)
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 14/12/07, 14:33

me my converters I use inverters put at the discount by the computer stores, just replace the batteries or say HS! -)
when we put them back on 220, it even charges the battery!

otherwise there is also everything that is a caravan: it's a 12V world!
and if you have 15W of lighting like I said, you don't need a very big cable, there is only to see on cars!
there are only the big electricity generators who stay on 220 rather than on the 12, but there are palative oslutions: example replace the electric radiators by wood stove, or thermal solar panels on water heater rather than electric resistance.

so yes it is possible; + the 12V network is safe for electrocutions.

+ info for living in 12V (prefer homemade wind turbine to photovoltaic, not profitable):
http://fotovolt.free.fr/

elephant wrote:There are laptop power supplies designed for 12 volt use. At the cost of laptops, I would much prefer this solution.

correct I forgot!
good ben I'm looking for a distrib!
0 x
e-conologue
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by e-conologue » 23/01/09, 12:34

I have not read all the long pages of this discussion, so my apologies if I repeat the news.

1st, do not confuse the transformers (a device necessarily AC-AC and quite effective if well designed) with AC-DC adapters which include a transformer and which are generally designed to be inexpensive not to be effective.

We can easily replace these adapters with SMP or "switched mode" power supplies which have a much more efficient electronic regulator: 60% -80% and give a much more stable voltage.

They are found on flea markets, I pay approx. 5 euros. It must be ensured that the output voltage corresponds to the needs and that it can supply enough current, see the label of the power supply and its device.

They are often provided for printers and flat screens.
Sometimes they are inside the printers (Canon for example) but dismountable.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/01/09, 12:38

econologue wrote:1st, do not confuse the transformers (a device necessarily AC-AC and quite effective if well designed) with AC-DC adapters which include a transformer and which are generally designed to be inexpensive not to be effective.

Yes but ferric are more and more rare anyway ...

For example, here is a switching power supply which is cheap and efficient:

https://www.econologie.com/shop/bloc-ada ... p-233.html

- Efficiency:> 80%
- "Standby" consumption <8% or 0.8W
0 x
e-conologue
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by e-conologue » 23/01/09, 14:04

that's why I prescribe
AC-DC adapters which include a transformer

your product is of the type that I recommend and, with all the cards, it is versatile.

On the other hand, the power supplies that I find on occasion are rather between 20-30W for 5 euros, therefore more interesting and with the possibility of connecting several devices of the same voltage on them.

Reuse and recovery being much more interesting than consumption from the point of view of econology, I am convinced that you would agree with me.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/01/09, 14:07

You should have said transformative ferric then, because an electronic power supply can also be called a transformer (voltage understood).

Yes the recovery is ALWAYS better econologically than the purchase of the new one (on condition that it still works obviously) but it is far from being systematically feasible and for everything!
0 x
DOCALBERT
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Re: Consumption of an electrical transformer

by DOCALBERT » 27/06/09, 18:05

Christophe wrote:
delnoram wrote:If someone has an idea...

Well you should already tell us what type of transformer it is ... AC-DC I guess ok but what output voltage?

To make precise measurements you would have to measure:

1) 230 V input with PM230

2) Output with Ampere + Voltmeter.

We don't know at all how you measured the exit ...

If you want to make good measurements, use an energie-monitor 3000
from Conrad, for example. The PM230 is largely whimsical!
Examples :
1) my Philips TV in idle: 0,15w
20w with pm230
2) same with modem or decoder
0 x
zorglub
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by zorglub » 20/02/10, 17:07

a manipulation to measure the total consumption of your transformers
tools: an alternostat (transformer with variable voltage 220 / (0 to 250v)
a wattmeter, a voltmeter an ammeter
you short-circuit the low voltage side of the transformer to be measured
you supply the high voltage side
in series the ammeter the wattmeter and the voltmeter at the terminals of the power supply
you start from zero voltage and increase until the ammeter indicates the nominal current of the transformer
you read the watt meter and you have the watt losses of your transformer (bt side + ht side) joule losses + induction losses
do not insist too much because the secondary in DC will heat up
you can by making steps of values, make a curve of the losses at different powers
NB: if you have the possibility of measuring the value of the DC current on the secondary side, this will allow you not to risk toasting your transformer (on a shunt for example) and an ammeter.
0 x