Consumption of an electric transformer

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Other
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 20/10/06, 23:04

Hello
I wonder where are we going to plug a light in 220vlts in a house in North America? All lighting is standardized on 110volts, 220 volts is for heating, dryer, hot water tank.
In the United States the power is 3 phases 440 volts 60hz
In Canada the power is 3 phases 550volts 60hz, yet another relant British to want to do otherwise than the rest of the world, a chance that we do not drive on the left ...
(One of the beautiful things that we have and that the rest of the world has not wanted is the screws for square screwdrivers (ROBINSON)
as well as the marrettes to make the electrical connections between several lines.

Andre
0 x
lug
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

transformer consumption

by lug » 27/10/06, 00:01

For consumption, it is necessary to take into account the impedance Z in ohms which is not measured in this way but which is calculated by vector graphic transformations (to simplify

during the measurement, the devices (voltmeter and ammeter influence each other which can distort the measurements depending on the calibration of the voltmeter, etc.

to make an exact calculation it is necessary to bring each consumer of current to a generator of thevenin or norton (to allow you to document yourself

impedances can be inductive (transformer winding for example), capacitive (capacitors), resistive or even complex when it involves the 3 (case of electronic oscillators)

it is quite complex, it was part of my training as an electronics technician but I am not here to do a lug course
0 x
for our children, let them cleaner air and land without waste
Other

by Other » 27/10/06, 01:16

Hello
it is quite complex, it was part of my training as an electronics technician but I am not here to do a lug course

Yep, young man, I have been using capacitors for a long time
to bring the cos close to 1, but aparrament the meters do not charge the reagent whether it is capacitive or inductive,
If the inductive is not counted in the domestic tariff, why break the candy, after long discussion with many qualified people professor in electricity ect .. I am wrong ..
However when I close the big main switch and I put directly between phase and neutral a bank of 120 microfarad capacitor the meter turns as if I connected a 250watts, as far as I know the capacitor consumes nothing it gives back all that it take, likewise if you plug in a 1/4 Cv motor and let it run idle, look at its consumption, it's close to 400 watts on the meter, (idle apart from heating its winding and driving the bearings to ball and its small internal ventilation a 100w would be more realistic. put it 50m farad in parallel and look at its consumption. When I say consumption billed, not measure with an amperemetre, counts the revolutions of the meter is well explain how to know this that totals. (now I'm in a house that is almost 35 years old maybe my meter is obsolete ..)

Andre
0 x
Castor
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Castor » 27/10/06, 14:28

Bonjour.

a wattmeter such as the one used can do the "current X voltage X cos phi" calculation, the PM230 from our dear econologist salesman gives the "cos phi".
0 x
Science begins with curiosity.
lug
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

use of capacitors

by lug » 27/10/06, 16:50

I was also a technical agent at EDF; capacitors are also used in tht, mt, bt transformer stations

a little technique to explain:
the juice is produced in central (very high voltage) in 440 kv, 220 kv, 750kv transported by very large overhead or underground networks to a station called source station from where it comes out in 63 kv (in this station are large capacitors and an autotransformer and also the peak / off - peak sync clock)

from this station another mt (or medium voltage) network in 20 kv which leaves for the bt stations from where it leaves in 380 and 220v depending on the number of phases used because everything is produced in three phase

the condos are used to also regulate the losses which become significant with the inductance and the resistivity of the lines

many explanations on condos, resistors, industrial inductors on volume 1 of the book "electronic components" (etsf editions)

consumption on a condo is not negative consumption but consumption out of phase to try to explain example) simply.

the device actually measures the result of these consumptions

lug

For "cheat" devices, I have seen a few (more or less elaborate, lol) but edf is gradually replacing its meters by electronic meters and has a computer prog to counter "piracy"
lug
0 x
for our children, let them cleaner air and land without waste
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/11/06, 18:30

I will test the performance of this transformer:

It is a transformer mounted on "neonled" of 60 leds.

The PM230 gives 9,32W of consumption for 235V.

Output :
LEDs connected: 12,02V and 233mA or 2,88W
LEDs disconnected: 11,77V (strange, right?)

When empty (led not connected) the PM230 indicates 0.0W.

I will measure the rated current 230V under load and no load and calculate a precise yield.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/11/06, 18:45

Measurements on the 220V part:

- voltage: 232V
- when empty: 7,9mA or 1,83W
- charged: 28,2mA or 6,54W

conclusions:

- the 9,2W of the pm are exaggerated (but we had already seen that at low load, the consumption was overvalued by the PM)
- transformer efficiency: 2,88 / 6,54 = 44%
0 x
Castor
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Castor » 29/11/06, 20:14

Bonsoir.

@Chistophe, to be precise, your "toy" is not a tranfo, but a switching power supply.

@Lud indeed the term providing reactive power with condos can be confusing. but given that most of the receivers are inductive, adding a condo to the network usually results in an improvement. this is why by convention, positive reactive power is capacitive. But this is only a "mathematical writing" convention.

@all the best method not to pay these EDF invoices: cut the meter!
0 x
Science begins with curiosity.
snoops38
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by snoops38 » 31/03/07, 18:52

Andre wrote:Hello

However when I close the big main switch and I put directly between phase and neutral a bank of 120 microfarad capacitor the meter turns as if I connected a 250watts, as far as I know the capacitor consumes nothing it gives back all that it take, likewise if you plug in a 1/4 Cv motor and let it run idle, look at its consumption, it's close to 400 watts on the meter, (idle apart from heating its winding and driving the bearings to ball and its small internal ventilation a 100w would be more realistic. put it 50m farad

Andre

As far as I know, the EDF meters charge us for the current, not the power, considering that our cos fi is close to 1 (greater than 0,86).

In this case, compensating for reactive energy means reducing the current drawn (we also say raising the cos fi) and therefore reducing its bill. But overcompensating means increasing the current drawn, therefore increasing its bill.
be careful, the P / S ratio is often called cos fi, IT'S WRONG, it's the power factor. And when current and voltage are sinusoidal, the power factor is the cos of the phase shift between u and i, the cos fi. but nowadays, many devices are non-sinusoidal consumers and therefore trying to meet with a power factor with capacitors amounts to further aggravate the problem.

An oscilloscope is essential to understand what we observe

A+
Last edited by snoops38 the 01 / 04 / 07, 11: 02, 1 edited once.
0 x
Other

by Other » 01/04/07, 04:59

Hello

The way that I operate, I measure the amperage of the motor as I check the roulette of the counter the turns, then I put condensers in parallel on the motor until the amperage generally decreases from 30 to 40% according to the load and the type of engine old engine and engine low revolution are worse .. then I reverify the revolutions of roulette counter.
On a large 60 amp soldering machine with 230 volts the capacitors are even more efficient.
Andre
0 x