Power consumption: compare!

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Dfg11333
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Power consumption: compare!

by Dfg11333 » 07/06/08, 18:36

Hello everybody

I sent a pm to Christophe but since he doesn't answer, it's okay, I'm going to share it with everyone ...

So here it is: I bought a Wattmetre PM230 on the site a while ago.

I was terrified of the consumption that I could measure (very good and especially sometimes very bad!).

And it is true that manufacturers are never singled out when they make devices that consume as much in standby as in normal operation or when their device connected to the mains consumes too much.

So I told myself that we had to compare them, display large consumption of ALL our devices and like that it would be forced to compete also in the field of electrical consumption.

So I created a site: www.eco-devices.com to reference all my measurements and those of my friends (at first) and I think that the growing database, the site could become very visited (by someone who wants to know before buying for example if such and such device is better than the other).

The problem is still the same, however: for the site to be visited, content is needed and for there to be content, it must be visited.

You are therefore all invited to add your measurements on the site so that everyone can benefit!

The site is in a very preliminary phase (not really finished ...). I am quite overwhelmed and I have little time to work on it but if a little traffic came it would motivate me to do something good I think. By cons if the site was overflowing with visitors, I think I would be too! This is why I think that starting with visitors to econologie.com could be a good start.

The site is currently in English (wider audience) but if necessary to make a French version should not take too long. And at the same time, the consumption remains Watts whatever the country ... it's universal!

Voila, if you have any comments please, I hope that the democratization of Wattmetres will be able to force manufacturers to be a little more careful when designing an electronic device ...
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 10/07/08, 21:05

I would prefer it to be in French ...
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Dfg11333
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Dfg11333 » 10/07/08, 21:22

Well yes I know, but if you want to have a full database, you have to reach as many people as possible.

Especially since the Americans are in full wave "green" and it is necessary to take advantage of it.

After, make a French version of the site (the menus at least) should not be too hard (it's just the job).

That said, as long as I don't have a database start (and this is where I need you), I can't advertise too much elsewhere.
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 10/07/08, 21:36

Dfg11333 wrote:[...] That said, as long as I don't have a database start (and that's where I need you), I can't advertise elsewhere too much.
As long as it is not in French, I would not put data ...
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Dfg11333
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Dfg11333 » 11/07/08, 19:38

Okay, well, first draft. I hope I haven't forgotten too many things.

To access the French version of the site, click on the link [fr] at the bottom of the page or go directly to:

http://www.eco-devices.com/fr/

Thank you for your contributions !
0 x
bobono
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Consumption of electrical appliances

by bobono » 11/07/08, 21:10

Very interesting The big device is absent for the moment the electric bulbs low consumption fluo There is work

Very good idea I repeat myself.

I only have an ammeter but Watt = U * I will arrive at the same result
0 x
delnoram

Re: Consumption of electrical appliances

by delnoram » 11/07/08, 21:32

bobono wrote:
I only have an ammeter but Watt = U * I will arrive at the same result

Yes ... only for resistors in 230 AC, not for all that contains Transfo, capacitors, and electronics in general
0 x
"Thinking should not it be taught in school rather than to make learning by heart the facts that are not all proven?"
"It's not because they are likely to be wrong they are right!" (Coluche)
Dfg11333
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Dfg11333 » 11/07/08, 22:12

bobono wrote:Very interesting The big device is absent for the moment the electric bulbs low consumption fluo There is work

Clearly, except in rare areas, electrical consumption is not indicated.

Where I have the most trouble is with "standby" consumption such as the TV box of the freebox which consumes more than 20 W 24 hours a day for ... nothing.

Having no other box at home (I would have trouble), I am therefore looking for people to help me to make a comparison of ADSL "boxes".

For my part I am doing a comparison of Video Game Consoles (the PS3 consumes about 4 times more than its ancestor PS2 ...).

As for the screens (LCD in particular), mine consumes 0W in standby (just the weak orange LED therefore) where some consume 5W against 20 W in normal operation! For me it reveals a disastrous manufacturing and it is the kind of devices to point the finger.
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 11/07/08, 22:51

Hello Dfg11333

Your idea is interesting. 8)
How do you plan to manage "the liners", when the same device is decked out with clearly different conso by 2 or x contributors?

How do you plan to manage the little c ... who got you anything on your base, or the vendors of competing equipment looking to manipulate the numbers?

Do you take into account all the measuring devices (Wattmeters) or make a list of "trusted" or approved devices to reliably inform your base ...?

Good continuation
A+
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Dfg11333
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Dfg11333 » 11/07/08, 22:58

Good questions!

I have some ideas on all these management problems, but the overall answer is the same as on a forum : volume (lots of people who do the same measurement), "trustworthy" people who carry more weight than others and ... moderators!

For now, a first check is done on the name of the manufacturer to avoid duplicates (spelling or different case).

Then, each new device does not arrive on the main page until I have approved (and categorized) it.

Finally, for the moment, it is not possible to put several descriptions and consumption measurements per device, but it is obviously temporary!

So while waiting for the site to be tip-top I do a lot of things by hand (which is manageable given the low traffic).

If the volume starts to increase, the site will adapt ... :)
0 x