Battery charger consumption: slow or fast charge?

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
sebarmageddon
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Battery charger consumption: slow or fast charge?

by sebarmageddon » 24/04/07, 11:02

Hello ,

I just asked a question about solar chargers, but another one came to mind

I have a universal charger energizer (ref BC-5HU), it is not very fast, charge batteries in addition to 3heures

for simplicity, what consumes the most when charging identical batteries, a slow charger, or a fast charger, see very fast (15minutes)?

if I am not mistaken, a transformer is heating up because of power losses, or something, so I think that if the charger charges the batteries faster, it does not reduce the losses, and therefore the consumption to charge the batteries, I'm probably wrong

Moreover, on my transformer, I created openings by using the engravings on the transformer, before it heated a max, and now, I can assure you that there is a real difference

Thank you for your answers

a+
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/04/07, 12:23

I tend to say the opposite ... generally in physics and chemistry, the slower a phenomenon, the better its "performance" ...

Now in either case the overall efficiency (= energy given to the battery / energy consumed edf) must be miserable (probably less than 5%) ...
0 x
sebarmageddon
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by sebarmageddon » 24/04/07, 12:53

so it consumes a lot of current (well we'll say that) to the socket, for not much current that is given back to the battery?

a+
0 x
MichelM
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by MichelM » 24/04/07, 14:10

Hello
As Christophe says, a slow charge is better, it is better for the efficiency, which is around 85% (not 5%!?!) Depending on the battery technology and the charging time and current. The efficiency of the charger should be in the 90% but for the little ones it must be much worse if they heat up a lot. I use an "intelligent" charger (control of each element separately by microprocessor) which can charge at different currents, detects the end of charge and puts itself in maintenance charge (therefore not a beast time delay of x hours), allows recycling , capacity tests, voltage, current, capacity measurement ... And not too expensive (La Crosse RS900 technology 39 € with 2 sets of LR6 and 3 batteries).
Michel
0 x
Obelix
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Obelix » 24/04/07, 18:49

Hello,

The best load is the variable cycle current charge.
It is the one that gives the best performance and avoids the battery to suffer too much.
On the other hand the end of charge is only detectable by the temperature monitoring, no other system functions correctly.
Moreover, no importance of the type of battery in charge and its nominal voltage !!

An example : http://www.tunecharger.com/

Obelix
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/04/07, 19:00

MichelM wrote:Hello
As Christophe says it is better a slow charge is better for the yield, which is of the order of 85%

Uh 85% stack input even if I can not believe it (except for modern switching) I'm fine ... but the yield I spoke was the overall performance: namely for 1 Joules EdF consumed, how much is stored and is actually replenished by the battery? A battery and a charger heats up and it's not for nothing ...
0 x
zac
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by zac » 24/04/07, 19:54

Hello

it's beautiful optmism, we repackage drums with everything that goes well and if we arrived at 20 / 100 performance we would be very telling, the theory is great (as Sarko); but in practice the total return between the kilo of oil (or uranium) and the returned watt must be closer to the 1 half / 100 than 80 / 100 as announced by the manufacturers of chargers.

@+

PS: unless with the modern math U = RI splits : Mrgreen:
0 x
Said the zebra, freeman (endangered breed)
This is not because I am con I try not to do smart things.
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 24/04/07, 21:17

There's no photo, the quick charge is good for professional screwdrivers: anyway, it's the customer who pays.

In alarms, we have a standard (and our batteries - lead-time survive very long): the battery must recover 95% of its capacity in 48 hours of charge after a discharge of its rated capacity.

it is true that a fast charge inevitably induces a high current, therefore a high temperature and necessarily it makes quickly age the compact batteries
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
sebarmageddon
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by sebarmageddon » 25/04/07, 20:20

I have a hard time knowing what to say,

so if I'm good, it's better that I keep my charger that not charge very fast
ou
that I take one which does not load quickly, but which in addition loads 1 stack by 1 battery, and monitors all

on the other hand my batteries heat up with the slow charger, is it normal, or not?
because when the batteries charge quickly it heats up, but if it's charging in about 4 hour and it's hot, maybe it's not good?

when t performance, I do not really understand, in fact I understand nothing at all : Cheesy:

a+
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 25/04/07, 21:56

Well, if it's to recharge the batteries of your camera: the yield we do not care, it's not with that you're going to ruin the planet.

the battery life side (number of charge / discharge cycles) may be higher.

however, there are chargers that control battery by battery, or 2 batteries by 2 batteries and that nevertheless load 4 batteries at a time.

the yield, it would be important if for example you recharge a 12V 70 A / h with a wind turbine or solar panels, pcq, there, the watt is expensive, or to recharge an electric car

that said, HELP, where I do not quite understand either: a lead battery from 2 to 15 A / h, starts to charge with a large current (fortunately there are limitations) and has a current maintaining 20 at 60 mA, so does not heat up. What about Ni Cd and NI MH, can anyone answer us?
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be