Comparative Luxeon and halogen bulbs in 12V + torch leds

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

Comparative Luxeon and halogen bulbs in 12V + torch leds

by Christophe » 06/09/07, 18:18

[i: 3bwey51g] Edit December 2008: new generations of Luxeon have arrived on the market, here are new tests: https://www.econologie.com/forums/test-compa ... t6649.html
[/ I: 3bwey51g]

As expected, I tested luminous efficiency in 12V lighting.

So I compared:

a) 2 halogen bulbs: 10 and 20W
b) 2 bulbs [url = https: //www.econologie.com/shop/ampoules-led-c-90: 3bwey51g] Luxeon [/ url: 3bwey51g]: 1 and 3W: LED bulbs

(c) at the request of a member of forum, I also tested a flashlight to 5 leds (realized test, flashlight in charge sector so maximum brightness). I took this model:

d) made with a [url = https: //www.econologie.com/shop/luxmetre-numerique-omnidirectionnel-p-133.html: 3bwey51g] luxmetre omnidirectionnel [/ url: 3bwey51g]

Each bulb has been connected to an AC induction transformer 12V AC / 105VA supplied with an 5 fixture MR16 / GU53 (20W per bulb). The consumption (V and A) was measured between the transformer and the bulb.

Here is the configuration of the tests (sorry for the quality, I installed Sketchup there is 1 h), so I have no side schema (which is also not to scale).

[b:3bwey51g][u:3bwey51g]1) Points de mesures[/u:3bwey51g][/b:3bwey51g]

[img:3bwey51g]https://www.econologie.com/fichiers/partager/gu53_mr16_essais.gif[/img:3bwey51g]

[u: 3bwey51g] Positions of the measurement points: [/ u: 3bwey51g]
- Distance bulb - 1: 80 cm
- Distance 1-2 (= distance 1-3): 30 cm
- Distance 1-4: 90 cm
- Distance bulb - 4 = 170 cm approximately

The measurements are taken as if the luxmeter sensor was placed on the largest dimension of the number, always in the direction of the bulb. The 2 and 3 points are merged but the measurement direction is not the same.

The point 4 is not really fixed: it is the point of maximum brightness of the spot (found by feeling).

[b: 3bwey51g] [u: 3bwey51g] 2) The measurements are carried out with this luxemeter: [/ u: 3bwey51g] [/ b: 3bwey51g]

[url=https://www.econologie.com/shop/luxmetre-numerique-omnidirectionnel-p-133.html:3bwey51g][img:3bwey51g]https://www.econologie.com/fichiers/partager/gu53_mr16_luxmetre_velleman.jpg[/img:3bwey51g][/url:3bwey51g]

[b:3bwey51g][u:3bwey51g]3) Données brutes[/u:3bwey51g][/b:3bwey51g]

a) 10W halogen
1: 28,8
2: 7,8
3: 40,0
4: 127
b) 20W halogen
1: 52,5
2: 17
3: 148
4: 185
c) 1W luxuryon
1: 28,5
2: 1,6
3: 10,3
4: 126,5
d) 3W luxuryon
1: 38,5
2: 2,7
3: 10,2
4: 380
e) Led torch:
1: 5,1
2: 1,1
3: 9,7
4: 55

[U: 3bwey51g] Remarks: [/ u: 3bwey51g]

a) the cone of brightness is smaller for luxeon (30 °) than halogen (this is obviously the case of all LED lamps ... for the moment). This is the point 3 (low for leds) that puts this in evidence.

b) the luminous intensity in the beam is very important with the 3W luxeon: 2 times more than the halogen 20W!

[b:3bwey51g][u:3bwey51g]4) Rendement lumineux moyen[/u:3bwey51g][/b:3bwey51g]

We average the 4 measurement points:

a) 10W halogen: 50,8
b) 20W halogen: 100,6
c) 1W luxuryon: 41,7
d) 3W luxuryon: 107,9
e) LED torch: 17,7

We measure the consumption of halogen bulbs and we take the consumption of luxuryons measured on this subject (with an ITC-777 and verified with an ITC-920): https://www.econologie.com/forums/ampoules-a ... t4006.html
[B: 3bwey51g]
a) 10W halogen: 9,37 W is 5,42 Lux / W
b) 20W halogen: 18,89 W is 5,35 Lux / W
c) 1W luxuryon: 1,44 W is 28,96 Lux / W
d) 3W luxuryon: 2,96 W is 36,45 Lux / W
[/ B: 3bwey51g]

[b:3bwey51g][u:3bwey51g]Conclusion[/u:3bwey51g][/b:3bwey51g]

The results seem very interesting for Luxeon but we have to relativize them: indeed [u: 3bwey51g] that does not mean that Luxeon bulbs illuminate an 5 piece 7 times better than halogen bulbs for the same consumption! [/ U : 3bwey51g]

The cone of light is reduced to 30 ° with Luxeon: it is therefore an intense light but rather punctual. If I had taken 10 measuring points outside this brightness cone the output results would have been closer (see at worst for the luxeon). The raw measurements of point number 3 show this phenomenon!

The use of Luxeons is therefore interesting mainly for occasional applications: [b: 3bwey51g] desk, worktop, hallway, WC or closet, decorative lighting ....
[/ b: 3bwey51g] Or, you have to multiply the number of bulbs to have an interesting overall brightness. We are going to install a corridor we will make you a comparative photo halo / luxeon (with the same time of installation obviously ... too easy otherwise ...).

Here it was Christophe live from the econo lab :D
[img:3bwey51g]https://www.econologie.com/fichiers/partager/gu53_mr16_labo_econo.gif[/img:3bwey51g]
Last edited by Christophe the 04 / 02 / 15, 21: 16, 6 edited once.
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 06/09/07, 19:17

Well, many things:
1 ° - I do not know how you guys do to master Sketchup, I must be bad, anyway, not bad for you Chris.

2 ° - Comparative very interesting and ... astounding about the energy efficiency of leds.

3 ° - You can do a test by taking the measure of luminous intensity on a white sheet for example (in front of the sheet and back to see), stretched vertically and lit sometimes by leds, sometimes halogens. The sheet should have a diffusing effect, diverge from the light. Therefore it must be possible to have a more precise idea of ​​LED lighting on a larger field.

4 ° - Laboratory econologie.com and Christophe live ..... Say so, it's done chicos :D
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/09/07, 20:29

bham wrote:Well, many things:
1 ° - I do not know how you guys do to master Sketchup, I must be bad, anyway, not bad for you Chris.

Uh am far from mastering after just 1h installation ...

But good level 3D I have some experience (my training of ingenious but especially the level design for video game between 2002 and 2004) ...

bham wrote:2 ° - Comparative very interesting and ... astounding about the energy efficiency of leds.

In the cone of light yes it's amazing ... but in fact it should be reasoned lumens at the source and not lux at the destination ... I had already made an approximation but it remains a exactly :(

bham wrote:3 ° - You can do a test by taking the measure of luminous intensity on a white sheet for example (in front of the sheet and back to see), stretched vertically and lit sometimes by leds, sometimes halogens. The sheet should have a diffusing effect, diverge from the light. Therefore it must be possible to have a more precise idea of ​​LED lighting on a larger field.

Mmm a small diagram would be welcome ... hold under Sketchup for example :) (it's forging ...)

bham wrote:4 ° - Laboratory econologie.com and Christophe live ..... Say so, it's done chicos :D

Hihihiih that was the little "extra" on the humor side of the manipulation :)
The character is original huh, I just added the econo Tshirt :D
0 x
A2E
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by A2E » 06/09/07, 22:47

Thank you Christophe for your tests! : Cheesy:
I see it much more clearly this way with the luxuryon 3w and its very correct performance!
I think of a full lighting of my home with this kind of leds ... to follow : Cheesy:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/09/07, 23:09

It's not commercial at all what I'm going to say but for full lighting I recommend LEDs (for the moment) even Luxeon: good compact fluorescents still have a much better performance in terms of overall mood lighting.

For the other applications it is to be seen on a case by case basis:

The use of Luxeons is therefore interesting mainly for occasional applications: desk, worktop, hallway, WC or closet, decorative lighting ...

Good choice :)
0 x
A2E
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by A2E » 07/09/07, 08:32

Christophe wrote:It's not commercial at all what I'm going to say but for full lighting I recommend LEDs (for the moment) even Luxeon: good compact fluorescents still have a much better performance in terms of overall mood lighting.

Not commercial? Well, that's great! : Cheesy: but perhaps it is necessary to wait a little while this technology develloppe to have more elaborate bulbs which will be able to concurançer the fluocompactes today mainly used but which consume a little more than what is stipulated on their sleeves! I saw this somewhere on the forumso let's wait a bit ... : Lol:
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 07/09/07, 10:18

Christophe wrote:
In the cone of light yes it's amazing ... but in fact it should be reasoned lumens at the source and not lux at the destination ... I had already made an approximation but it remains a exactly :(
bham wrote:3 ° - You can do a test by taking the measure of luminous intensity on a white sheet for example (in front of the sheet and back to see), stretched vertically and lit sometimes by leds, sometimes halogens. The sheet should have a diffusing effect, diverge from the light. Therefore it must be possible to have a more precise idea of ​​LED lighting on a larger field.

Mmm a small diagram would be welcome ... hold under Sketchup for example :) (it's forging ...)

Okay, I see you coming. : Cheesy: But as I have many other things to "forge", I will rather try a new explanation, it will take less time.
Perhaps you know it, in flash photography, the light of the flash being too "hard", one often uses light diffusers to precisely soften this one. For that we can use filters, fabric, tracing paper ... etc. As a result, the light will be more diffuse, less concentrated at a point, the subject will be lit in a more homogeneous way.
So my idea is to place the bulb on axis 1/2 then at a few cms or ten cms (to experiment if it changes something) a sheet stretched vertically (therefore between the table and point 4). The light generated by the lamp will be diffused by the sheet, so you will no longer have in 4 a cone of light but a diffused light. And there you can take the light intensity measurement at point 4 or directly on the sheet. Therefore the light, whether it comes from halogen or leds, is "smoothed" and can be more easily compared. We will obviously lose a little light intensity when passing the sheet, but the goal is to compare the two lighting sources.
Is it explicit enough ?? I can do without sketchup? : Cheesy:
The top would even be able to measure the color temperature of these two light sources to see which one comes closest to the color temperature of sunlight. We learn that too in photograhy.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/09/07, 10:21

But do not wait too much ... we must eat Christine and I : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
0 x
Flytox

Re: Comparative Luxeon and halogen bulbs 12V + torch l

by Flytox » 07/09/07, 11:04

Bonjour Christophe

You have the curve of the spectral response of this device compared to our vision of human? By comparing 2 different cells on several types of lighting they were not necessarily agreed on some lamps.

The emission spectrum of the different lights is there where it can but not necessarily be optimized for our vision, which advertisements "forget" to tell us about. : Mrgreen:

A+
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/09/07, 11:13

Yes I have it but very small on the record and our scanner is HS ...
It looks like a crushed Gaussian curve so a priori it is "reliable".

We had already mentioned this fact (during 1er tests on Led and fluo cf https://www.econologie.com/forums/ampoules-a ... t2132.html et https://www.econologie.com/forums/ampoules-f ... t2124.html ) and this is precisely what prompted me to buy this "multidirectional" Luxmeter (before I used the ITC-777 cell).

In terms of the color "to the eye" here is what we can say: the 1W is more yellow than the 3W which it strongly resembles hallogen, a bit whiter. Estimated T ° (given the number of bulbs I tested) for the 1W: 2700 ° K and for the 3W: 3500 ° K.

Obviously the best would be a spectrum analysis but hey ... the econo lab does not really afford that ...
0 x