Council for a battery charger

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 14/04/13, 17:48

measures the voltage at the battery terminal while the charger is trying to charge it

a dead battery can simply have a great internal resistance: it makes a good tension, but as soon as the charger tries to send current there the tension goes up to the maximum authorized by the charger and the current does not return: it is the same fault if it's just a bad contact

with the voltmeter put the test probes either on the battery or on the charger contacts: if the voltage is higher on the charger it is false contact

it often happens that it is enough to move the battery to make the contacts rub and the fault disappears

this fault display from the start of charging is specific, it allows you to be sure that charging begins, and not to come back later and see a battery that has not been charged due to a simple false contact
0 x
lemontval
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by lemontval » 14/04/13, 18:07

So I still haven't bought anything !! : Evil:
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 14/04/13, 18:56

yes it's not easy

not long ago I bought one of the same kind at aldi: topcraft 1N6880, at 9,9euro ... about the same as the lidl but in a different case

but it's the same problem as lidl: aldi only sells this kind of thing on promotion days ... you have to watch them all year round

otherwise on the conrad site for example you have to put a lot more expensive to expect the same quality ... below 50 euro there is not much ... one I do not allow myself to quote an article from conrad since I did not buy it, and that I will not buy it since a lidl at 14euro and an aldi at 9 euro is enough for me

lidl has a nice mail order site where you can buy all year round ... except that on their site it is impossible to put a delivery address other than in germany
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 14/04/13, 19:01

Thank you Chatelot

I put the battery (whose terminal voltage is 1,30V), in a charger compartment
This momentary green led then red and starts flashing red immediately.
I take the voltage on the 2 pads of the charger and on the battery at the same time => I have 1,30V
(it was the voltage of the separate battery)
I do as you said "deficient" battery in place and the tip of the voltmeter in common on the contact of the battery, the + point measuring successively the + terminal of the charger and the + terminal of the battery => same voltage 1,30V

Voltage between charger pad in another empty battery compartment = 3,41V

On an occupied compartment where the LED is solid red, therefore on charge, I have 1,70V

If I measure the resistance on a charged battery (normal?) And a battery (deficient?), I have an infinite resistance (on 200KOhms caliber) (just for 2 seconds because they must discharge)

I now realize that the batteries that I had previously charged normally for a while which ended with a nice steady green led,

Well now have turned to flashing red… : Evil:

On my duty : Mrgreen:, I specify that these are old batteries (2600mAh) which have not been used much until then, only sporadically, therefore not charged regularly.

Isn't it the charger that is deficient?
: Cheesy:
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 14/04/13, 19:13

you must measure the voltage at the start of the charge, when it is still green .... once the charger has declared it dead it is too late, the charger no longer charges and leaves it alone

is it possible that a full battery looks like a dead battery? it's not impossible .... so use your battery, and if it gives power normally it will already be proof that it is not dead, and you will see what your charger will do with the next charge

controlling these microcontroller charger is difficult without knowing exactly how they are programmed
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 14/04/13, 19:26

To test at the beginning of the placement of the battery in the compartment, would be difficult because the LED starts green not even a second. In any case, it is not an insufficient contact point.
Battery contacts previously brushed with a rough cloth.
And this continues, even by pressing the spring terminal of the charger and while rotating the battery in its location.

Testing it for use is obviously the simple solution. :D
But already deficient batteries tend not to keep too much capacity over time, I believe.
Thank you for your reflections on these anomalies.
0 x