Appliance adapter on halogen lamp (thief socket)

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
oli 80
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Appliance adapter on halogen lamp (thief socket)

by oli 80 » 16/10/12, 21:50

: XNUMX: Hi, I saw a new accessory that has appeared, an adapter that attaches to the place of a halogen bulb on which you can connect devices such as mobile phone charger, touch pad and other devices of this kind

I saw this thing in Mallorca when I was on vacation, I looked on the net but I found nothing above it, but near the hotel where I was there was a small store which sold all kinds of universal adapters for electrical sockets, in hotel rooms there is often a small table with desk lamp most of the time halogen

in short you remove the bulb from the desk lamp, you attach this tip to it and you plug in your small devices and chargers
0 x
BobFuck
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by BobFuck » 16/10/12, 22:01

Look for "thief socket"

But it's useless and it's dangerous, unless you have no outlet? ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 16/10/12, 22:17

For those who understand nothing, a small image of a thief socket (of a certain age):

Indeed it does not seem very secure ...
0 x
oli 80
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by oli 80 » 16/10/12, 22:32

here they are thieving sockets on the direct 220 volt, but the tip which was sold in this small store was plugged in place of a halogen bulb so we draw 12 volts to connect small devices

According to the seller, it was to avoid foreign tourists from burning the transformers of their devices and hacking connections, such as hair clips, wire, etc., because in the USA the mains voltage is 110 v and in Spain as in France it is 220 v, so this tip is used to connect the devices to the halogen lamps

I do not know if this tip is up to standards, but according to the seller it would avoid hazardous tinkering which risks causing fires, electrocutions and other incidents
0 x
BobFuck
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by BobFuck » 16/10/12, 22:59

wait, all the switching transformers these days are in 90-240V ...
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Device adapter on halogen lamp

by Obamot » 16/10/12, 22:59

Indeed, it is very hazardous !!! I would not dare to trust a third-party adapter with two balls, and connect a laptop to two thousand!

Because there are halogen lamps (small bulbs) that work not on 12V but directly on 220V or 110V with dimmer.
So if you put a 12V device on it, I would not like to see the geule of the transformer after : Cheesy:

oli 80 wrote:in short you remove the bulb from the desk lamp, you attach this tip to it and you plug in your small devices and chargers

Besides, it's a bit bastard, because if you touch such a lamp with your fingers, you will condemn it to death in the short term, the fat of your fingers will shoot it!

By cons it's cool for the store that sells it, because behind it is guaranteed to sell new bulbs ... And a new device to replace the one that you burnt!

Note that you have to see the bright side: if you screw up the hotel, then you hit the jackpot : Mrgreen: : Cheesy:
0 x
oli 80
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by oli 80 » 16/10/12, 23:46

I had just talked about this tip because I saw it in this little store in Mallorca near my hotel, and as it is touristy then the guy is making golden balls with this little tip, personally I have not needed, the Spanish power outlets are the same as in France
I think it's just in the UK that the plugs are different

in addition the seller was of Guyanese origin, so spoke French and Spanish easily, if it is these sellers work with hotels, in my room I had a halogen desk lamp, I reassure you I did not tweak anything : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

in fact, I just share this little discovery, this kind of hotel is under contract with travel agencies, that's how I booked my vacation, there was a report on M6 and other chains on these devices and adapters that should not be bought on vacation, but in none this tip for halogen sockets was mentioned
0 x
BobFuck
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by BobFuck » 17/10/12, 00:53

> For those who understand nothing, a small image of a socket
> thief (of a certain age)

Yeah. It's ideal, climb on a stool to screw this thing into a wall lamp on the ceiling, it's secure, you don't know if the switch is on phase or neutral, etc. : Mrgreen:
0 x
oli 80
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by oli 80 » 17/10/12, 01:25

in short, this system was from another time where there were not yet taken everywhere, https://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&q=do ... 0QXWsYGIDw

sorry, i put the google image link for thieving socket, formerly everything seemed to plug into lamp sockets

for this halogen socket system, was not sold on the fly but in a packed shop with a barcode, so we have an invoice when purchasing with the name of the shop

I recommend everyone keep the invoices for proof
in the event of incidents mentioned above, in hotels, on the other hand in Paris I have already seen street vendors, near whom we
could buy universal adapters for the sockets, to avoid also, the more clever you buy less it is expensive, many objects of this type of artisanal invoice
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/10/12, 10:08

BobFuck wrote:Yeah. It's ideal, climb on a stool to screw this thing into a wall lamp on the ceiling, it's secure, you don't know if the switch is on phase or neutral, etc. : Mrgreen:

We agree! And let's not even talk about the hanging cable!
If as in Belgium you are in three phase 220 ben you do not even have neutral at all ...

The only "correct" use that I see is the bedside or desk lamp ... in the event of a lack of outlet, but the power strip also exists ...
0 x

Back to "Electricity, electronics and computers: Hi-tech, Internet, DIY, lighting, materials, and new"