Action against electric watches and hidden consumption

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Bibiphoque
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Bibiphoque » 08/08/08, 08:55

Hello,
That's how it has been for me for three years, all the lamps in fluo economic, except that of the toilets and all appliances with switch.
The only thing left is my electronic alarm clock, but I seriously think of replacing it with a little battery trip.
@+
0 x
This is not because we always said that it is impossible that we should not try :)
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Action against electric watches and consumption cac

by jonule » 08/08/08, 10:24

Christophe wrote:Apparently "politically correct" ecologists like Ademe, Greenpeace, Alliance, Sortir du Nuke are quite incapable of doing this ... they prefer to do sporadic and more or less futile actions and talk about laughable solutions! Ah it's hard to stop licking the "consumption system" ass, eh! : Evil:

you speak of consumption Christophe, and not of ecology, it is necessary to distinguish the two, here it is more the responsibility of "UFC that to choose" or nicolas porthole at a pinch!
but not the defenders of the whales! .....

but I'm sure you're going to offer us "bio-breakers"? .....

hypercher but automatic: gets on the tabelau, cuts the line of consumables when they detect a non activity.

it already exists it is useless to hit the ecologists in passing! the problem is not new.
I am not talking about political ecologists who hypocritically claim that nuclear power is the only energy that can not be released from CO2 ... it is not the fate of Greenpeace and Nuclear Shutdown.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/08/08, 10:49

Not a bioruptor: hypercher as you say and it's mostly done to fight against EM pollution that watches ... (I'm not sure it triggers when you have 10 15W devices on standby) ...

For the UFC Que Choisir, you're right, I'll send them an email of this step!

Do not miss their site on insurance premiums: http://www.justeprime.org/
0 x
SARTENAER
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Be careful with cos (phi)!

by SARTENAER » 08/08/08, 12:21

I fully share your opinion on the problem of hidden consumptions ... but beware of the reliability of consumer wattmeters!

The consumption of a device in standby, or simply connected, is generally of the capacitive type (cos phi very different from 1). This implies that the current is out of phase with the voltage and that there is no real consumption: the power is satisfied to go back and forth between the network and the connected device, 50 times per second . An inexpensive wattmeter is not able to correctly evaluate this voltage / current relationship during a cycle of 1 / 50th of a second. The wattmeter will tend to overestimate the cos (phi) and display a much higher power ... while it is only a virtual consumption!

And it is not because the power meter displays the value of the cos (phi) on its screen that this value has been correctly evaluated ...

I do not know the model Brennenstuhl sold by the shop ... but I suspect that with such a low price, we must be wary of the accuracy of measurement in the specific case of a measurement of standby consumption.

I have 5 other models of consumer wattmeters, and I was able to realize the disparity of standby measures.

The idea here is not to minimize the scandal of this hidden consumption ... but if we want to sound the alarm about this problem, we must be sure to announce correct figures to avoid not lose credibility ...

FYI, there was a comparison of consumer wattmeters in the magazine 'Elektor' a few months ago. To validate the measurements obtained by the different test models, Elektor performed identical measurements with a professional power meter. In my opinion, it would be necessary to do the same before publishing hidden consumption figures on the web ... there's more to winning the lotto ... : Cheesy:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/08/08, 12:34

We agree, but it's always the same story of cos phi and precision that we come out ... So to cut short: it's good to say that it's not perfect but in this case make your own measurements and compare!

The fact is, value error or not, our printer consumes STRICTLY the same whether it is OFF or ON (standby) and that's inadmissible and misleadingwhether it is 5W, 7W or 9W it does not matter! : Evil:

That's all I wanted to show ...
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 08/08/08, 13:05

the French legislation imposes to mark the power of the apparatus, but not that of the consumptions with empty ... will have already to start with that?
0 x
SARTENAER
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by SARTENAER » 08/08/08, 14:06

Christophe wrote:We agree, but it's always the same story of cos phi and precision that we come out ... So to cut short: it's good to say that it's not perfect but in this case make your own measurements and compare!

The fact is, value error or not, our printer consumes STRICTLY the same whether it is OFF or ON (standby) and that's inadmissible and misleadingwhether it is 5W, 7W or 9W it does not matter! : Evil:

That's all I wanted to show ...

- I repeat: the meaning of my comment is not to minimize the problem ... just avoid quoting absolute numbers.

- I would do my own measurements with pleasure if I had a professional wattmeter ... it's not in my means. And compare the measurements of several consumer wattmeters seems irrelevant: who is right? On the other hand, the fact that there is a great disparity in the results encourages caution.

- Your power meter displays exactly the same with the ON or OFF device ... but is the consumption really the same? Perhaps...

- Unfortunately, it's not just a matter of 5W, 7W or 9W: there can be an 5 10 error factor.

- Here's a good example. A few months ago, I bought a Chacon Power Control power meter PC300 (price about 29 €) (http://www.chacon.be/fr/documents/34355 ... C300FR.pdf).
I measure the power consumption on a power strip including PC + LCD monitor + printer ... result: 31W.
Recently, following the reading of Elektor's article, I order the power meter designated as the best test, the Voltcraft Energy Monitor 3000 (price about 50 € when I ordered it) (http://www.conrad.fr/webapps/compteur_d ... nitor.html).
Result of the same measurement: 5,5 W.
Let's be clear: I find the 2 results unacceptable (consumption stopped should be less than 1W) ... but if the real cons is 5,5 W while I tell everyone around me for months that a PC to the stop consumes 31W ... well I feel a little stupid and I tell myself that I would have done better to be careful.

- That's all I wanted to show ... :D
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/08/08, 14:34

jonule wrote:the French legislation imposes to mark the power of the apparatus, but not that of the consumptions with empty ... will have already to start with that?

+ 1! Well done! But it's not won!

SARTENAER wrote:- Your power meter displays exactly the same with the ON or OFF device ... but is the consumption really the same? Perhaps...

Huh ??? Admitted that you are looking for the little beast there ...

Do not push so much so immediately say that any measurement with any device is not valid because 2 identical displays would not be significant of the same actual measurement ... :| :?:

If not, what do you do as a job?

Well I will try to find an old EDF record counter!
At least that's accurate, is not it? As this person will have nothing to say !!
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 08/08/08, 15:04

Well I will try to find an old EDF record counter!
At least that's accurate, is not it? As this person will have nothing to say !!

Bin not :? I had an old record player, he was lying ...
In my opinion, moisture returned, and it was not turning fast enough.
So distrust
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/08/08, 15:11

Lol I was expecting this answer but yet our bills still depend on this ... too late I posted an ad!

Too much moisture say? I just have a fogger that serves me nothing : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
0 x