TIC: end of handwriting in the US for ... MS Word?

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

TIC: end of handwriting in the US for ... MS Word?

View Christophe » 25/03/13, 09:19

It's not a joke obviously ... learning to write is no longer mandatory in the US? Regarding its replacement by Word, I'm not talking about the public-private conflict of interest that is jumping in the face ...

Learning to write will no longer be mandatory in 45 US states schools

Learning to write at school will perhaps be a distant memory, warns the journalist Émilie Lanez in this week's issue of Point.

At a time when we send mails, text messages or chat messages to the detriment of beautiful handwritten letters, is it still legitimate to learn to write at school? The question may surprise.

Yet in the United States, it has already been decided: by 2014, handwriting will be an optional teaching in 45 US states. Instead, will be privileged learning of ... Word.

After all, in Britain, according to a survey, 40% of citizens say they have not written anything by hand since 6 months.

For Monica Baerg, 16, a student at Arcadia High School in California, interviewed by AP, write as an attache, it is useless. Homework is always typed on the computer. When Monica is forced to use a pen, she writes in print. "Nobody ever forced us to use cursive writing, so it was painful to memorize the letters," says this teenager ... who, however, has difficulty deciphering what her parents write.

Knowing how to write by hand is knowing how to read
As CNRS researchers Jean-Luc Velay and Marieke Longchamps, interviewed by Le Point, explain, knowing how to write by hand means knowing how to read.

Both studied brain imaging. "When the eye reads, the brain is written by hand. To read is to write, "they explain to Point. When one reads, several areas of the brain simulate the act of handwriting. When writing with a keyboard, it's different: whatever the letter chosen, the gesture is identical: hit a key.

Writing by hand helps to express emotions
In addition, a manual writing is very personal, and can retranscribe his emotions, said Jacques Gilbert, lecturer in literature at the University of Nantes, interviewed by Le Point.

"In manual writing, the body expresses itself, we see if the writer was angry, happy, in a hurry. The reader can imagine the person and recognize in his handwritten graph in which emotional context it was produced. Screen writing returns a distant image.

But typing on a keyboard would "free" our writing
For others, typing on a typewriter and then on a keyboard would have a beneficial influence on the way we write. In his book Internet makes us stupid (Robert Laffont), quoted by Le Point, the American essayist Nicholas Carr recounts the purchase by the philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche of a typewriter:

"Once he had mastered the hit, he was able to write with his eyes closed, using only the tips of his fingers. The words could flow again from his mind to the page. But the machine had a more subtle effect on his work. One of Nietzsche's friends, a composer, noticed a change in his writing style. His prose, already laconic, became even more concise, more telegraphic. (...) 'You are right,' replied Nietzsche, 'our writing tools help to hatch our thoughts'.

In addition, the ease of erasing his text, rewriting it, cutting it through computer-based word processing allows an amateur to disinhibit his writing: "Cutting and pasting has released the gesture of writing the stakes of the decision. With a keyboard, we think a word for free, more lightly ", analyzes for Le Point Roland Jouvent, psychiatrist and director of the CNRS emotion center. Leaving less to think about the right word, or to enrich his vocabulary, to embellish his text with figures of styles? "The tools of the creation of the mind are perfected but do not replace the talent: Leonardo da Vinci probably would have painted 'The Mona Lisa' with something other than a brush," tempers the psychiatrist.

For him, whatever happens, new generations will no longer have the patience to write with ink. "I believe that, in twenty years, a schoolmaster will not be able to hold twenty toddlers in his class by making them reproduce full and untied".

But at six (age of learning to write in France), a child does not prefer to show his parents the pretty curves of color written with his hesitant hand representing his name, universal characters typed on a keyboard?

Source: "And if it stopped learning to write", by Émilie Lanez, Le Point of Thursday 21 February 2013.

Source: http://actuwiki.fr/culture/15682

In the same genre: https://www.econologie.com/forums/societe-nu ... 12004.html
Last edited by Christophe the 27 / 03 / 13, 00: 07, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

View Christophe » 25/03/13, 18:48

There is no need to say, I think we are really going towards a society ... idiocratic ...

Little reminder: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3ot5h ... VCN7BeZaCc
0 x
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

View bidouille23 » 25/03/13, 20:43

Good evening,

here is a beautiful way to control people ... more will be able to make them stupid more the control will be easy to take ...

On the other hand, what is the motivation letter?
On the face of it, some companies (or many?) Use graphologists to define the character of the candidates, the use of a word processor is not necessarily a bad thing in some cases ...

Still a good proof that the Americans are good at the pick up, in addition he uses word instead of open office which is free, he did not understand anything;) .... : Mrgreen: you really have to be in the crowd to pay for what you can get for free ....

Moreover I advice you the last version of Fedora (8) instead of windob, a friend just convinced me in less than three minutes with his old blunderbuss who found a total youth thanks to this operating system well done;), and who only asks for a resource;) ...

Good luck to all the little Americans, it will not be easy unfortunately for those of the public actually ... arfff

This says have been warned to us to make sure to be attentive ...
0 x
Other
Pantone engine Researcher

View Other » 26/03/13, 01:53

Hello

It was to be expected even the bit is gone on radio.
the transmission of messages by racing pigeons too : Cheesy:
I think the writing will disappear in the near future, like knowing how to do mathematical operations, why know how to extract a cubic root 3 4 piton shots and the machine gives us the results.
Those who are going to hang on to the tradition, it's all the legal world, they have more peruque, but also black tunics and white-collar, he takes himself for other, thinks to have a higher notoriety, he prohibits q ue it write in court, the cameras, he wants all the signatures to be done in ink pen on glossy paper (fortunately he has dropped the papirus.)
Keeping these principles and obliging nurses to fill out written reports which are then electronically transcribed by another team, for the records it absorbs 25% of their working time to health professionals, just to be legally legal. in case of problems . Not to mention the mountain of paper in the archives ..
What energy wastes when all the computer resources are available?
Would not a recording of the surgeon's voice be enough?

the writing serves to communicate to transmit to store information of the knowledge of the archives, the history
but technology allows us to do otherwise simply more efficiently (just the phone book of a country is completely on CD why write in 10 directories)
Who kept the big encyclopedias that was popular in the 70 years more needs a search on the net and we all have deep details not always reliable, but it's bulky and there is enough material to know what the we need.

Not sure that even keyboards and writing will survive in the future ...

Andre
0 x
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

View bidouille23 » 26/03/13, 18:46

Good evening,

André the problem is more at the level of learning.

In writing you link as it is said in the quotation that Christophe provided, and while reading you write;) ...

To be able to have a quicker and more effective form of comprehension it is necessary to learn to write by hand ...

On the other hand, once this mastery actually acquired computer science becomes a useful, practical and fast tool.

I will draw the parallel with the technical drawing, in my schooling I was in BTS framing, the only one to a pairing between public teacher and teacher (master) of duty.

With our teacher from the public we used Cadwork (it was at the beginning of cadwork, now it is the reference software for the drawing of framework), by cons with our prof. companion of duty the rules were simple: a rule of 50cm, a compass a gray pencil 2Hb and some rotring, end point.
He did not want to hear about computers, why? well because the logic is that you will have a computer if you do not know how to draw a frame in the hand, you will not be able to do it in a good way with a computer;) ...
Personally I think it was 100% reason, it helps to understand what you do much more clearly, and the coup to be much more effective with the computer tool ...

For reading, can read diagonally as have said and understand what is said, if you do not write machine diagonal reading will be almost impossible because the brain does not work in the same way ...

By choosing to abandon the cursive method the choice is I think to create an even greater gap between the different levels of society, and thus create a well-defined caste form ...

And then the pleasure of writing with beautiful letters is something other than typing on a keyboard ...

Personally when I read old letters or notebooks of my parents or grandparents it's just beautiful ...
0 x
Other

View Other » 26/03/13, 20:32

Hello
bidouille23 wrote:Good evening,
on the other hand with our prof. companion of duty the rules were simple: a rule of 50cm, a compass a gray pencil 2Hb and some rotring, end point.
He did not want to hear about computers, why? well because the logic is that you will have a computer if you do not know how to draw a frame in the hand, you will not be able to do it in a good way with a computer;) ...

You are right on the bottom you speak by nostalgia and love of the work of craftsman.
But beauty, art and poetry will remain in other areas, know-how will disappear in the name of ease of operation.

If I rely on the training of new generation aircraft pilots
the old ones advocates knowing how to travel with the bousole, to calculate the drift, the cape, the watch, and a map, the new generations yes they learned that at the beginning in their course to pass the examination, but after ...
It is GPS, the buggy many have even more calibrate there are often 20 degree of error, other he installs a tablet an iphone, with the GPS the artificial horizon and even many virtual basic instruments . Technology advances faster than training and many things learn, will be lost forever, because more taught (useless) this transmission of know-how, will be limited to a few old people who have been shown to young people and in two generations this will be gone (as the language of some autoctones)
Another example of what electronic school offers courses on triode lamps, pentotes? Even in a relatively short time there will be more opportunity to get transitors and other small electronic equipment, already the little handyman who wants electronic components, must undress material discarded ..

Andre
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View chatelot16 » 26/03/13, 20:45

if we were sure that everyone had computers everywhere, we could always try to do without learning to write by hand

I too really write very rarely by hand ... but I'm still happy to be able to note something with a simple pen and a sheet of paper ... elsewhere I sometimes have trouble writing the first word then it comes back correctly

I say thank you to those who taught me to write by hand! at the time it was even in the pen with an inkwell

to forget to learn to write by hand is to really give oneself a handicap, to make the computer indispensable ... is it enough of the future not to be afraid of being in situations where it will be necessary to avoid with reduced means?

Do you have at least one generator at home? No, it's enough for a power outage to no longer have a way to write ... laptops have batteries ... blah she is quickly empty

it may seem a shame to confuse children with different types of writing? which solution ? only use cursive writing? there have been school books written entirely by hand ... but no, to use only the cursive writing is to deprive the children to understand also what is written everywhere

there is plenty of room in the mind of a child to learn all forms of letters at once, the letter of printing to read what we see everywhere, and handwriting for freedom of speech. write without material

I know people of Asian origin who learned French late, so did not learn to write as in school ... he can only write by imitating the printed letter, it is slow! they can not write anything without a computer! americans want to generalize this problem?
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View Ahmed » 26/03/13, 20:51

It is indeed the pursuit of the separation of the tasks which more and more obscures the comprehension of the things and makes more and more dependent: micro-wheeling inside the mega-structure!

At the same time, it is accepting a growing fragility and take a very big risk: a grain of sand will be enough to stall the machine.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View chatelot16 » 26/03/13, 20:57

Andre wrote:
If I rely on the training of new generation aircraft pilots
the old ones advocates knowing how to travel with the bousole, to calculate the drift, the cape, the watch, and a map, the new generations yes they learned that at the beginning in their course to pass the examination, but after ...

and that's how we have pilots who do not know what to do when a pitot frost tube

fortunately there are still a certain number of airlifters whose leisure is gliding, and who know how to pilot at the pifometer, and who will always be better than those who only rely on the heavy technics.

same problem at sea ... those who rely only on electronics are badly barred when their small boat was shaken by a storm that all the electronics is drowned and it is necessary to return to the port with the means of the previous century

must he still know how to use a sextant ... or have 3GPS different hoping that he will not all be down?
0 x
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

View bidouille23 » 26/03/13, 21:04

Re,

André is not wrong from this angle, not false unless the technology cracks;), the only ones to disengage will be those who have learned and master the basics :) ...

What you say to me for the planes is also true on the boats (edit: I did not see your message chatelot arrived before I post mine;), the thing with the sail also is that you will have nice to have a good GPS if you do not know the rocks on the coast you will not be more advanced;) ...).
all in the end these are chains in addition to our feet ...

I always like paper and pencil :) even if solidwork or cadwork are beasts of calculation.

the best tools are the human hand, and that is why we must cultivate beauty, it is up to us to pass it to the next generation to remain free.

After the techno level I agree on the example of electronics, whatever;), at its level for example nothing is equal to the sound of a tube amps, there will always be lovers for not not lose the old techno, but what price ??

but good writing side is also the understanding that is at stake so it's not just a matter of ease life that is at stake but the creation of caste that is in play I think.

We must not allow ourselves to be here, because no one will be able to take away our hands as a primary tool, and learning how to use them can not be removed as easily, all of which is to convey the good value to our children, who themselves can transmit them to theirs (well, I hope so, anyway).
Last edited by bidouille23 the 26 / 03 / 13, 21: 07, 1 edited once.
0 x

Back to "Electricity, electronics and computers: Hi-tech, Internet, DIY, lighting, materials, and new"