End of Windows XP support, another obsolescence?

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

View Christophe » 08/05/14, 10:38

Yes it will work but people tend to paranoia on the internet ... so few people will really continue to exploit it I think ...

I already have knowledge that asked me the possible alternatives!

ps: we can go from windows 8 to 8.1 for free?
0 x
Flytox

View Flytox » 08/05/14, 14:57

Hello forhorse

Flytox wrote:Leaving to change Windaube, according to a computer scientist who installs Windaube sells for years, should not under any circumstances switch to 8.1 and stay despite all the repeated attempts of Bill on the 8 version. According to him, 8.1 is an integral part of Macrocrottesoft's loupés.

To be more precise, it was topical in December 2013 when buying an MSI laptop. What I called "Bill's repeated attempts" may not actually be his. : Mrgreen: but it's totally in the mind / macrocrottesoft method. Indeed at each startup there was a window (no choice of course) where the only possible answer is to accept the migration to 8.1. To avoid this forced update, you must do CTRL ALT SUPR and go through the program manager. Of course after the automatic updates (of the most laborious though may be a problem MSI?) ...... it starts again 1 or 2 days after .....

It seems to me that on this date (December 2013) precisely 8.1 does not have a menu start! And that it is rather difficult / not within the reach of a non computer scientist to put it there while it is a formality on 8.

The "strong" point of Windows 8.1 is precisely the return of the start menu; in fact, in a few clicks you can configure 8.1 to be the same as windows 7 (it has its strong points and its weak points, but I use it since the RC1 and the return to XP at the end of it was a little difficult.

It's funny that the highlight of a program is to be able to return to the features of previous versions. : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

Finally, Bill Gates no longer has any technical or commercial responsibility at Microsoft, he has retired for some years now.
He no longer has any "operative" function within Microsoft since 2008, and since the start of this year he no longer even heads the board. In the end, he no longer even owns 10% of the shares in this company.
Saying "bill want this, bill want that" is pure trolling from someone who brings his strawberry to a subject that he obviously does not understand at all.
The responsible for the Windows 8 fiasco has been "fired" and his successor tries to make up for it with 8.1

Not behind the scenes of this "prestigious" store, but the version that "my" computer scientist gave me was that Bill himself came back to service "momentarily" when he was retired, the time to restore order after the "fiasco" of 8. (info sold as bought)
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View chatelot16 » 08/05/14, 16:06

it's like windows 98: at home it's still running .... and old computers too ... so we can not talk about programmed obsolescence

the problem of windows 98 is that the multiple gadget that there is in the current website do not pass in the browser of the time, and that the current browser is no longer available for windows 98

so I have some old computer or I had a big hard drive, which I turn on only to stitch information that is in, through the network

and the still an advantage of linux: it communicates very well by the network with all the version of windows! from 98 to seven ... while between the different windows there are often incomprehensible caprices

linux works very well with the files in the windows partition: no need to move them: a computer with a rotten windows that we do not want to clean can continue to serve with a small linux partition in his hard drive: as long as we only want it on linux viruses do not have windows to live!

linux is not perfect: since I recovered, I find a lot of things that I do not like: but the big advantage is that it is modifaible and improved: so instead of galaler a discover the trap of new windows and nothing to do to improve, I will be able to improve what I do not like in my own version of linux ... and be able to benefit other person

the problem of IT is ergonomics: the lack of clarity for those who know nothing about it

when it misses a word in a menu of the software, it takes several pages of documentation to explain ... adding all that is needed in the software itself it should be able to do without documentation: the software itself must be the documentation

so I left to personalize a linux to make a very hospitable thing for beginners ... and very informative, with what it takes to understand how it works ... the opposite of windows that has always done everything for hide

alas the habit of many computer scientist is to hide everything to keep their superiority ... I need computer performance for a future business, no problem nest wasting time for everyone ... I am horrified by the time I was able to lose to solve the windowserie problem in companies where I worked: and this lost time is always sterile because the result is not transferable

with linux the time spent understanding is not sterile because we can transmit what we build: and what we learn is sustainable

that's why linux is so much improved: before it was always missing something, now it is more and more rare to have a computer with a device that does not work

there is still progress to be made to facilitate installation in old computers with low capacity

do not throw away the old computers: it will be more and more easy to pass them to linux
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View chatelot16 » 08/05/14, 18:05

linux xubuntu in my case is convenient to standardize all my machines, including windows 7 or 8 so I will not need to know in detail

but beware windows 8 sowing traps that can lose data if you use a computer sometimes windows8 sometimes in linux! there is a risk if windows8 is not stopped completely, but if it stays in extended hibernation

if we touch the files of the windows partition from linux, it can be crashed by windows at its wake

there is obviously no risk for the data in the linux partition since it is completely inaccessible to windows

http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewsujet.php?id=981841

so to stop windows, not only must you click on start, but in addition we are not sure that it stops properly : Evil:

it is necessary to deactivate in windows these possibilities of false stop and quick restart
0 x
nonoLeRobot
Master Kyot'Home
Master Kyot'Home

View nonoLeRobot » 10/05/14, 12:28

For new hardware linux is often late because builders (less and less) do not offer drivers.

By cons drivers issues and obsolescence, Linux is by far the best.

To use it at work, there is nothing that I know that no longer works and yet we use old or very hardware (~ 20 years I think on serial ports for example). A few adaptations are needed a few times, but the ubuntu 2014, for example, went straight up.

For Windows and maintenance (mac even worse), we can bring them closer to the vulnerability (mac much less because based on unix) but not obsolescence. Maintaining a 10 year old system is deadly and economically it must be admitted that it is understandable and irrelevant to them.

By cons I do not understand why this panic. XP has flaws, it's even the flaw champion for 12 years, we were doing with it and all of a sudden it's panic because we can no longer be completely up to date. Given the experience we have and that the antivirus boxes have, I wonder if it is not ultimately more reliable.

In any case it seems that until 2015/2016 boxes of browsers / antivirus will contain to do the job: http://www.01net.com/editorial/616524/c ... -microsoft

After that we can always continue but it is true that there may not be too much interest in using a computer over 15 years old.

edit: written under OSX leopard released in 2007 and no longer maintained since 2009.
0 x
nonoLeRobot
Master Kyot'Home
Master Kyot'Home

View nonoLeRobot » 10/05/14, 13:07

While looking for very light versions of Linux which would be my next OS I found a super econological project: http://emmabuntus.sourceforge.net/media ... _portal/fr

They make computers in cans and suddenly use light and very public versions.

Maybe we already talked about it, in any case it is clear that there is a way to recover old stuff that works very well. It will also be a boon with the end of XP support.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View chatelot16 » 10/05/14, 14:28

the big difference is that with window $ if you don't want to buy a modern computer you are dumped

with linux all choices are possible
Ubuntu to get the maximum presentation and compete with window $, but some people don't like it: it requires quite powerful computers

Kubuntu, for those who do not like the presentation of ubuntu

Xubuntu, with an even simpler presentation, good for the smallest computer: everything that works with Windows XP works well with xubuntu

we have a choice and everything is compatible, it's only the presentation that changes

and ubuntu is just one of the linux distribution ... all the others also exist: no monopoly

for older computers, like windows 98 linux also runs: it is rather the fully automatic installation DVD which does not play because there is not enough ram ... so use methods of older installation ... and everything is possible

so start with the fully automatic installation on Windows XP era computers and keep the older ones in a corner so they can be used

in the event of a problem there are forums where the answers arrive at an impressive speed
http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/index.php
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View chatelot16 » 12/05/14, 18:45

window $ scraps computers that are not powerful enough, these days it's the opposite with me! linux brings out computers that I had forgotten

the one of the day: a mini portable acer aspires one A110 with ssd 8 Goctet sold at its time with a linux linpus lite quite shabby, so good for nothing ... can be even done specially to discredit linux

I put xubuntu there and everything is fine: it becomes usable and compatible with others: it takes only half of the 8GB available
0 x
Debauge
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

View Debauge » 06/06/14, 10:10

Left to change Windaube, according to a computer scientist who installs sells Windaube for years, you should not under any circumstances switch to 8.1 and stay despite all repeated attempts by Bill on the 8 version. According to him, 8.1 is an integral part of Macrocrottesoft's loupés.
0 x
Christophe

View Christophe » 06/06/14, 10:14

Is that so? Also? : Cheesy:

Why? : Shock:

I say, for all those who do not play, to switch to Ubuntu!
0 x