Polystyrene and concrete house ....

Construction of natural or ecological habitat: plans, design, advice, expertise, materials, geobiology ... House, construction, heating, insulation: you have just received one or more quotes. Can't choose? State your problem here and we will advise you on the right choice! Help in reading DPE or environmental energy diagnostics. Help with the purchase or sale of real estate.
paotop
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Polystyrene and concrete house ....

by paotop » 11/01/07, 13:46

I fell on the bend of a click:

http://www.euromac2.com/video.html

as a home in Lego?
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 11/01/07, 14:40

It's not con their system. It is well worth the "traditional" construction in concrete blocks (or bricks) with insulation inside.

If you have the courage to watch the video to the end, I find their roof panels very interesting in the idea.

Too bad that for the masonry elements as for the roofing panels, it is also energy-consuming materials that are used.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 11/01/07, 14:58

Cement factories are an eyesore from an energy point of view, so anything containing cement should be avoided as much as possible. I learned that not long ago (maybe in www.manicore.com but not on) ..

The best in terms of energy consumption and carbon storage is the wooden house.
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 11/01/07, 15:18

jean63 wrote:Cement factories are an eyesore from an energy point of view, so anything containing cement should be avoided as much as possible.

Fully agree. As for polystyrene, we cannot say that it is better.

Is the same concept in wood wool that we fill with lean concrete of lime with hemp hemp honeydew strong enough to be load-bearing?
Besides, is lime, in terms of gray energy, better than concrete?
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 11/01/07, 16:34

Hello Jean63

The best in terms of energy consumption and carbon storage is the wooden house.

I think you must be part of the minority in France who thinks like this ..
Because all residential homes are made this way in North America, European visitors found these constructions too fragile or not in their design of a house.
I am enclosing a photo that a visitor made when leaving the airport his first photos and his amazement on this kind of construction. Which is however quick and easy to build in a few weeks 3 good workers we mount one and that lasts life of a man .. What is the point of making a house that will last 300 years maybe for tourists later!
a house should be practical, comfortable and easy to heat and cool. Especially the cost, not to exceed 3 years of wages of a well-paid worker .. Otherwise how to afford a house?

Andre
0 x
paotop
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by paotop » 11/01/07, 16:56

at my place (in the deep perigord) the old houses were mounted in limestone collected from the ground, cut with testut (to make a face) and stacked with earth to wedge.

well, you need walls at least 50cm thick if you don't want it to break your mouth but there are a lot of houses here that are hundreds of years old and that are still standing ...... more or less.... : Mrgreen:
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 11/01/07, 17:03

Unfortunately, you are right, André.
In France, roughly since the reconstruction after the 2nd World War, all the old construction techniques have been forgotten in favor of a standardization in "all concrete".

This is all the more unfortunate that the ancients had learned, generation after generation, which methods, shapes and materials were best suited to local conditions.

Nevertheless, if we go beyond the time of Gallic huts, it seems that wooden construction was rather quickly, in Europe, abandoned in favor of "hard" constructions (stones, earth, rubble, ...).

Why ? I do not know.
The boom in timber construction in North America is perhaps due to the mass presence of species with good mechanical and thermal properties associated with good resistance to parasites (fungi, insects, ...).
0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 11/01/07, 19:59

Targol wrote: it seems that wooden construction was quite quickly, in Europe, abandoned in favor of "hard" constructions (stones, earth, rubble, ...).

This is not quite true. Our vision of architecture in the past is distorted because, in proportion, it is above all the solid and rather prestigious constructions that have come down to us. The "standard" (roughly speaking) was rather the stone base, surmounted by a wooden structure, completed by cob panels.

Targol wrote:The boom in timber construction in North America is perhaps due to the mass presence of species with good mechanical and thermal properties associated with good resistance to parasites (fungi, insects, ...).

Maybe, but personally, I think it's also a question of mentality. Migrants arriving in North America must surely be able to settle quickly, with little labor and be able to move quickly if the opportunity arose. And I believe that this mobility has remained in the North American mentality. André will take me back if I am wrong ..
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 11/01/07, 20:40

In northern European countries including Norway, there are churches (Stavkirke) which date from the 12th century and are still standing and superb.
I don't know if they've kept the "build in wood" mentality?

In Germany, they have it, that's for sure. The problem is that the further south you go, the more you expose yourself to the risk of an "attack" by termites. Moreover, it goes back to the North with global warming. I scare myself all alone ...
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).