House Thermopierre monomur

Construction of natural or ecological habitat: plans, design, advice, expertise, materials, geobiology ... House, construction, heating, insulation: you have just received one or more quotes. Can't choose? State your problem here and we will advise you on the right choice! Help in reading DPE or environmental energy diagnostics. Help with the purchase or sale of real estate.
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

House Thermopierre monomur

by jean63 » 14/01/07, 12:04

Does anyone know this material which seems extraordinary? : nothing but qualities, particularly very good insulation.
If I were to build a house today, I think I would choose this material which has an advantage over wood: thermal inertia (very interesting for storing heat).
link
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: House in thermopierre monomur

by bham » 14/01/07, 15:05

jean63 wrote:Does anyone know this material which seems extraordinary? : nothing but qualities, particularly very good insulation.
link

Hi Jean.
Well a priori, it is cellular concrete since they say it, see questions / answers n ° 23: "The installation of earthenware is done directly on aerated concrete (Thermopierre) with a specific glue. "

And then I liked that, in the questions / answers:
"We have never seen a burglar with a chainsaw attacking a house!" well, indeed, it has already been done on a cellular concrete house ....

What are the differences between this product and aerated concrete, if any?
A thermal conductivity of lambda = 0,10 W / mk, it is undoubtedly very good but I do not know what that gives in thermal resistance R on 25cm of thickness. And then if it is in reality cellular concrete, the inertia must not be super since it is linked to mass.
I would like more info to confirm or deny.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/01/07, 15:23

bham wrote:A thermal conductivity of lambda = 0,10 W / mk, it is undoubtedly very good but I do not know what that gives in thermal resistance R on 25cm of thickness.

R = L / lambda = 0,25 / 0,1 = 2,5

So above what is recommended (R = 2)

Apparently aerated concrete is even classified as a rather "green" material as shown in this article: http://www.pierreverte.com/index.php?op ... Itemid=129
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 14/01/07, 16:03

Christophe wrote:
R = L / lambda = 0,25 / 0,1 = 2,5. So above what is recommended (R = 2)
Apparently aerated concrete is even classified as a rather "green" material as shown in this article: http://www.pierreverte.com/index.php?op ... Itemid=129

Ah, thank you for the R and the site, interesting!
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 14/01/07, 16:39

Well a priori, it is cellular concrete since they say it, see questions / answers n ° 23: "The installation of earthenware is done directly on cellular concrete (Thermopierre) with a specific glue."

I also thought of cellular concrete, but it was thermal inertia that made me think that it was another material. I have not read this sentence that you quote.

Thank you for the R, since I built (20 years) I forgot the R of my walls and my roof, but I know that they are very good (wooden cladding + wooden frame + 15 cms rock wool (20 cms in the roof)) and no thermal bridge.

As far as the site is concerned, I found it in publicity here in Econologie.

I find their arguments to be limited. So I don't regret my timber frame house (which can be cut with a chainsaw), but hey for now "I'm touching wood and it's easy!" No one broke in.

Anyway, cellular concrete is a good insulating material. At the time I hesitated with the G bricks (with baffles that remove the thermal bridges; they even make the lintels (kinds of formwork in which we pour the reinforced concrete).
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
bolton069
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by bolton069 » 15/01/07, 15:15

Hi jean63,

I often "zone" on the forum futura-sciences, although I was not too interested in monomur brick, I nevertheless retained this:

- For standard monomur brick 37.5cm, R = 2, which just corresponds to the French standard, but no more. (for a perfect pose)

- At the ecological level, its construction consumes a lot of energy expenditure. (gray energy) But it doesn't have to be much worse than the good old concrete block.

- apparently it's not cheap compared to other materials for identical insulation. (to be checked, near you.) $

- It is very difficult to implement. Very different from traditional concrete blocks.

The main criticism is that it takes very careful implementation (beware of thermal bridges and the slightest installation defect.) To arrive at the thermal performance given by the manufacturers, which according to the speakers is rare in practice. (masons qualified for this type of work are rare.)

Apparently, mechanical performance can also be more affected by poor installation than traditional construction, and in extreme cases lead to a collapse of the structure. (it must be rare anyway)

My opinion is that the materials presented as more ecological than traditional materials must have superior environmental characteristics, better insulation, (this is the case here compared to concrete block, but not compared to a wall with traditional insulation ), less gray energy.

This material can therefore be interesting in certain conditions, given its specificities, but in the context of a new house I would not do without insulating the walls even with such a brick.

Bonne journée. : Mrgreen:
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 15/01/07, 19:25

- apparently it's not cheap compared to other materials for identical insulation. (to be checked, near you.) $

- It is very difficult to implement. Very different from traditional concrete blocks

correct, I remember this argument now, I hesitated because this material was not used in my region Auvergne (rather in Alsace), so I gave up because of that and the price, but I liked it .
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 15/01/07, 19:51

I agree with most of the comments posted above.
Here are some loose comments to move the Schmilblik forward.

In my opinion, the main argument against remains the gray energy expended to manufacture these blocks: It remains concrete which costs a lot of energy to manufacture and in addition, it must be lathered to create this honeycomb structure. Now I doubt they pay people with hand whips to do that : Mrgreen: .

Another problem due to the base material of these blocks: in normal times, the concrete is waterproof (including water vapor). What about vapor transfers in this type of construction?

Otherwise, I have an uncle who built a house with that and who seems happy with the result.

One more thing: a break-in with a chainsaw is not an admissible argument. In the southwest, all the subdivisions are made of hollow terracotta bricks: one can very easily smash this type of wall with a hammer without making too much noise (at least by making less noise than with a chainsaw).
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/01/07, 20:09

Targol wrote:In my opinion, the main argument against remains the gray energy expended to manufacture these blocks: It remains concrete which costs a lot of energy to manufacture and in addition, it must be lathered to create this honeycomb structure. Now I doubt they pay people with hand whips to do that : Mrgreen: .

Well ... given the density of aerated concrete I am not sure that it is not very profitable ecologically ..

Because it is the "mass" is more energy-consuming and consuming resources than the volume.

As for the "foaming" it is done with an aluminum oxide I believe ... Besides, some "anti" monomur denounce that the aluminum ends up "evaporating" and polluting the inhabitants of the house ... Moué pkoi not ...

Targol wrote:Another problem due to the base material of these blocks: in normal times, the concrete is waterproof (including water vapor). What about vapor transfers in this type of construction?

Precisely that would be better ... the house would breathe better than a traditional house (a CMV without CMV in short) ...

The definite drawback of aerated concrete, on the other hand, is its different expansion coefficient from other common materials: if the plastering is not special ... it will eventually crack. Finally it is a detail in this case ... but to be taken into account for extensions.

Regarding resistance to humidity, a friend recently told me that he immersed 24 blocks 2 hours: 1 concrete block and 1 aerated concrete. After immersion, the 2 blocks were split ... the concrete block was completely soggy unlike aerated concrete. (25-30% penetration not all sides but the heart was kept dry)
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 15/01/07, 22:39

Regarding resistance to humidity, a friend recently told me that I immersed 24 blocks 2 hours: 1 concrete block and 1 aerated concrete. After immersion, the 2 blocks were split ... the concrete block was completely soggy unlike aerated concrete. (25-30% penetration not all sides but the heart was kept dry)

What! a completely soggy breeze block after 24 hours in the water ..... I can't believe it: I'm going to try, I have a few behind my house. that would mean that all these houses built in concrete blocks, if they undergo floods up to 1,50 m high for several days (what happened in Arles some years ago when the levees of the Rhone broke under the pressure), these houses should therefore have collapsed after their concrete blocks located in the base of the walls were completely soaked and gave way under the pressure of the building !!

It must be said that the concrete blocks are not all made with the same ingredients: here in Auvergne they use (have?) The abundant and very light pozzolan, extracted in the quarries of the Parc des volcans d'Auvergne. They can also be made with gravel from rivers or the crushing of basaltic blocks in quarries. They may not react in the same way depending on their composition and the thickness of the walls.

What I do know is that in the event of an earthquake the house collapses like a house of cards.
0 x