Underfloor heating under wood flooring

Construction of natural or ecological habitat: plans, design, advice, expertise, materials, geobiology ... House, construction, heating, insulation: you have just received one or more quotes. Can't choose? State your problem here and we will advise you on the right choice! Help in reading DPE or environmental energy diagnostics. Help with the purchase or sale of real estate.
claude07
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Underfloor heating under wood flooring

by claude07 » 05/01/06, 07:22

Anyone have an idea if the underfloor heating under wooden parquet and not tiling can be useful and effective since wood is a thermal insulator?
0 x
scoundrel
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by scoundrel » 06/01/06, 17:52

Hi claude07!

Since wood has the particularity of being a thermal insulator, it is not advisable to install a floor heating covered with parquet.

On the other hand, there is no disadvantage in installing this type of heating under a tiled slab.

From experience, when building your house, do not hesitate to install the underfloor heating coils, even if at first you do not envisage global central heating. Ditto for the bedrooms, plan the heating pipes for the radiators.

Good greetings. Scoundrel
0 x
PITMIX
Pantone engine Researcher

by PITMIX » 06/01/06, 18:58

Hello
It's a bit like putting a blanket over your radiators. The advantage of a heated floor is the inertia it offers compared to a radiator. But there you prevent the floor from working properly. Wood is one of the strongest insulators. The chalets are made of wood for this. Find out on the Giacomini website for example or write a message to them to find out if there is a solution or special wooden planks ... I remain skeptical ...
You can always try a radiant ceiling
0 x
claude07
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by claude07 » 06/01/06, 20:16

ok, thank you very much for your answers.
I think that the fact of putting a heating on tiles ultimately comes down to heating it against wood / parquet which is itself insulating.
it was a € 1 question!
0 x
lau
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by lau » 06/01/06, 23:17

I no longer know on which post I saw that it cost 3 € / day the underfloor heating.
But the primary energy source is the current as for air conditioning ... you said not want to heat yourself with wood?
0 x
The number of molecules in a drop of water is equal to the number of drop that contains the Black Sea!
claude07
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by claude07 » 07/01/06, 01:04

no i don't want to heat up nuclear
I was thinking maybe a low temperature solar heated floor
0 x
PITMIX

by PITMIX » 07/01/06, 19:00

Hello Claude
You saw that there are now very thin solar collectors in roll. There are even sensors capable of storing energy. Parcontre inform you if you are not in a protected place historic site or other because the installation of sensor on the roof could be questioned (I saw that on the news)
FYI for those who did not know, the so-called "low temperature floor", is mandatory since the 80s in new construction. Flooring at 40 ° C on the surface is now prohibited (swelling of the legs). I believe that the standard imposes 28 ° C max in surface temperature. The same goes for refreshing floors with 18 ° C minimum to avoid condensation on the ground.
0 x
lau
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by lau » 07/01/06, 19:50

I know a boy near me who poses air conditioning all day long in private homes.
He is disgusted, he could not install one at home because the exchanger is prohibited on the facade because classified site.
0 x
The number of molecules in a drop of water is equal to the number of drop that contains the Black Sea!
minguinhirigue
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by minguinhirigue » 13/08/08, 15:21

Good for heated wooden floors, they exist, they behave a little differently from concrete floors but they work as well.

As a reminder, what is interesting in a heated floor is that it heats longer than a radiator. It therefore needs more inertia. The volume thermal capacity will be taken as a measure:

Light wood is 1200 to 1300 kJ / m3 / ° C, heavy wood is 2000 to 2150, ordinary concrete is 2200, dense concrete 2400, non-porous natural stones it is 2500 to 3100, steel is 3900.

Even if the wood is not so far from the concrete, it is a little worse even for the heaviest wood. It is not that bad, however. This fable was born with wooden frame houses, which have poor inertia.

On the other hand, steel has a great inertia, but you will never take it for a floor, because per m3, the prices are not very competitive.

I think of another concern: the steel is subjectively cold. Let me explain, the combination of conductivity and thermal capacity means that it heats up at the surface at lower speeds: it looks cold. Unlike wood. We then take effusiveness to measure this phenomenon:

Light wood is 410 to 430 J / (s [1/2] .m2. ° C), heavy wood is 630 to 660, ordinary concrete is 1900, dense concrete 2250, non-porous natural stones is 2950 to 3950, steel is 15000.

Wood is subjectively more neutral than other materials, when it is heated locally (for example by the body), it adjusts very quickly to this temperature, and therefore appears hot. The other materials very quickly "distribute" the calories in the rest of their mass and appear cold. Thus, with wood, less risk of condensation, and less risk of cold feet when the floor is not yet warmed up.

Finally, the question of "insulation". As the wood is insulating, the heat will take longer to pass through the 3 to 4 centimeters of heavy planks that separate the surface of the pipes. That's a fact. This is a problem for wood because it requires the use of conductive sheets to increase the exchange surface between the pipes and the wood. In aluminum, it's not nice.

Conclusion, the question of the slightly lower inertia of solid wood is not enough to decide, it must be seen in use if the heated floor is often disconnected (in a very well insulated house), the wooden floor will have the advantage of avoiding cold feet. Remains the concern of implementation, but some the background in North America, when in France?

http://www.radiantcompany.com/details/joists.shtml
0 x