eco-building in Uganda / Africa

Construction of natural or ecological habitat: plans, design, advice, expertise, materials, geobiology ... House, construction, heating, insulation: you have just received one or more quotes. Can't choose? State your problem here and we will advise you on the right choice! Help in reading DPE or environmental energy diagnostics. Help with the purchase or sale of real estate.
yogahmg
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

eco-building in Uganda / Africa

by yogahmg » 21/10/09, 16:22

my name is Helen M. Giovanello, I am writing to find out if you can advise me on projects or builders / architects of "ecological" house construction in Africa.
My husband and I have plans to build a house in northern Uganda, as well as a small organic vegetable garden, linked to a project for the reintegration of "child soldiers" and sustainable development.
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 21/10/09, 17:02

Do we need (European?) Architects to build ecological houses in Africa? Isn't the traditional local habitat by itself ecological?
0 x
minguinhirigue
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by minguinhirigue » 22/10/09, 23:25

As a result of wars, there may no longer be a lot of traditional perennial habitat in Uganda, nor builders who have retained the required know-how. Very often perennial techniques are developed to build public monuments and the houses of "chiefs" ... This is only possible in a situation of peace ...

However, the combination of "foreign" techniques and rudimentary traditional habitats (mud, cob, cob, or adobe houses ... straw-clay roofing, and other techniques) can lead to perennial buildings (without five-year reconstruction as is the case for banco ...). We have successful examples in Senegal.

If there is a social program and you really want to develop it, without knowing local architects, you can work with the network Architects Without Borders International, and for French contacts ASF France (of which I am a part ...).

But we will quickly seek to find local partners AND a local architect with whom to collaborate ... The solutions are all there ... Sometimes nothing is missing but the spark.

The profession is underrepresented in black Africa ... Our colleagues are almost exclusively involved in grandiose projects. But there are some who remain invested in social causes ... with, among other things, a recent ASF Congo branch ...

When it comes to green design in Africa you can take a look the achievements awarded by the 2009 Aga Khan Prize. But there will be no housing ...
0 x

Go back to "Real estate and eco-construction: diagnostics, HQE, HPE, bioclimatism, natural habitat and climatic architecture"