Wood cladding: fir or douglas?

Construction of natural or ecological habitat: plans, design, advice, expertise, materials, geobiology ... House, construction, heating, insulation: you have just received one or more quotes. Can't choose? State your problem here and we will advise you on the right choice! Help in reading DPE or environmental energy diagnostics. Help with the purchase or sale of real estate.
dimitri
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by dimitri » 07/01/10, 20:55

If I do not say nonsense (which happens to me often), the red cedar is none other than the Siberian red pine, which has the peculiarity of growing above the polar circle and therefore having a slow growth and so a slow sap surge and therefore have a longer life.
The douglas is very good and shares with the spruce the peculiarity of losing its spines which incidentally gives it a greater longevity.
"Pine" doesn't actually mean much, but whether it's red, black, white or green doesn't change the fact that it's a low-tannin tree. It is certainly easy to use and inexpensive for a cladding (or other), but personally I would not use it outdoors whereas we have in France and in general near us much more practical woods (but I makes it more difficult to work). As it was already said above, it is necessary to be inspired by your region, to see the essences which grow there naturally and what the good old elders made of them.
However, good luck to you hoping to see the results. :P
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 08/01/10, 22:34

Dimitri wrote:
Douglas fir is very good and shares with the spruce the peculiarity of losing its thorns ...

You must confuse with larch that has deciduous needles ...
The spruce only loses them in the form of Christmas tree!
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by oiseautempete » 09/01/10, 11:43

dimitri wrote: the red cedar is none other than the Siberian red pine, which has the peculiarity of growing above the polar circle and thus having a slow growth and therefore a slow sap thrust and therefore to have a longer lifespan long.
The douglas is very good and shares with the spruce the peculiarity of losing its spines which incidentally gives it a greater longevity.

Sorry but all wrong: the red Cedar (its scientific name is Thuja Plicata, of the cypress family) is a fast-growing tree, which reaches 60m and grows mostly in northwestern Canada and northwestern USA, exactly in the same area as the Oregon Pine whose name is also ... Pine Douglas, which never loses its needles ... There are plenty in the Vosges where it grows very quickly, so its wood is less good quality (heavier, less resistant) than his American brother ...

When it comes to the durability of the Douglas / Oregon pine, it is EXCELLENT from the moment the wood stay dry: my uncle, dairy farmer in the summer and lumberjack in winter, built a big barn 35ans, all in Douglas, in whole round barrels just barked (so with the sapwood), assembled by pegging (wood and steel ), covered with corrugated iron, pillars resting on large projecting stones so never in permanent contact with water and in particular soil moisture: the barn is always impeccable and has kept the 180km / h recorded the storm of 99 ...
0 x