Purchases of solar panels in the United States?

Construction of natural or ecological habitat: plans, design, advice, expertise, materials, geobiology ... House, construction, heating, insulation: you have just received one or more quotes. Can't choose? State your problem here and we will advise you on the right choice! Help in reading DPE or environmental energy diagnostics. Help with the purchase or sale of real estate.
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Purchases of solar panels in the United States?

by darwenn » 28/12/09, 15:15

Hello, here is the price of solar panels 100 or 200w in France still costs too much, against I could order in England via Ebay, a 100w panel for 350 euros, nine, warranty, which works very well. Now I'm moving towards purchasing another 200w panel (or two of 100 w) in addition. I can have for 500 euros the 200w in China or England. It's interesting but maybe I still find cheaper?

It is possible to have 200w panels for 350 euros in the USA. At first glance it seems interesting even if few American sellers ship to France. But where I'm concerned is the customs fees. Is it so interesting to order in the US with this risk of customs fees?

I think the risk is too great to end up with a bad surprise, ditto I guess for a purchase in China. In short any purchase out of the European Union can bring a bad surprise with customs fees for this kind of purchase. So if someone has a good plan to buy cheaper solar panels, I am a taker of the info, otherwise I stay on purchases in England.
0 x
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 28/12/09, 15:36

Hello,

I was wondering yesterday precisely :-)

Not found on http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds/cgi-bin/tarquer?Lang=FR

So I asked the question about http://www.douane.gouv.fr/contact.asp?type=2

In any case, if more than 150 €, you have to pay VAT.
http://www.douane.gouv.fr/page.asp?id=25
Last edited by bernardd the 28 / 12 / 09, 16: 15, 1 edited once.
0 x
See you soon !
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 28/12/09, 15:51

Yes but concretely what gives what?

I have already bought in China and Australia (for purchases of 200 euros) without having had a surcharge to pay. I may have been lucky because I was also told that it is a lot like the lottery, your parcel may or may not be controlled, if it is not, you do not pay tax customs, if it is, you lost ... And considering the size of a cardboard solar panel, I very much doubt that it passes unnoticed ...
0 x
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 28/12/09, 15:52

Otherwise on the price, on my source yesterday there are also some offers by 10 panels:

Photovoltaic module - FVG 230P-MC - Polycrystalline
SKU: 00050236 / 10 - 10 Panels (2.3KW) Power Tollerance -0 / + 3%
Price EX Works Carlino (UD) Italy
Price Euro / Watt 1,85 Total Price 4.255,00

Or :

Photovoltaic module - FVG 185M-MC - Monocrystalline
SKU: 00050187 / 10 - 10 Panels (1.85KW) Power Tollerance -0 / + 3%
Price EX Works Carlino (UD) Italy
Price Euro / Watt 1,85 Total Price 3.422,50

The last were 1,58 € / Wc in full container, 600 panels at once: we must really regroup in this case :-)

No customs pb on those, they are in Italy. However, there should be several. I would like to take some, but not too much now :-(
0 x
See you soon !
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 28/12/09, 15:54

darwenn wrote:Yes but concretely what gives what?

It gives you either the question yourself at the customs, or you wait like me ...
0 x
See you soon !
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 28/12/09, 15:56

The models that you indicate are in 24v, I am looking for 12v.
0 x
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 28/12/09, 16:14

darwenn wrote:The models that you indicate are in 24v, I am looking for 12v.

As you have seen for the wind turbine, the 12V loses too much power in the cables ...

And anyway you have interest in having a battery controller. It is apparently necessary to find a MPPT type controller, and in this case, it is he who will do the work effectively between your 12V or 24V sources and your batteries in 12V ...

The MPPT type seems to indicate that the controller adapts the input voltage so that the source gives as much power as possible, regardless of the voltage of your batteries. But never personally tested.
0 x
See you soon !
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 28/12/09, 17:08

Of course I have a battery controller on my solar panel :). A MPPT controller is overpriced, and if it can be useful in wind, it is not at all essential in solar. The solar gives a power and a constant tension, according to the time certainly, if a cloud passes, the power drops, but clearly less subject to the variations than a wind turbine (unless to have constant winds and still .... ). So for solar a mppt is not necessary at all. My solar panel being on the roof of the garage, facing south from morning to evening and just above the batteries, the cable length is only 5 meters, so the losses are derisory in my case so the model 12v agree perfectly to my use that's why I'm moving in this direction.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 28/12/09, 18:48

Personally, I would go to Germany, but do not forget that for the smallest parcel between Germany and France, it is 50 75 euros before starting ...
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 28/12/09, 19:10

Where I bought mine, the 90Wc panel is 270 € (3 € / Wc)
It is Chinese panel but I am quite satisfied with mine.
The seller is nice (not trusting the carriers I went to pick him up directly at his place)
Otherwise he told me to send the panels by UPS because too much breaks with the post.

For the chargerMPPT you are mistaken, it brings a real plus in solar. For example, a 12V panel with a maximum power output rather than the 17V out of a normal regulator only lowers this voltage to put it to the correct value of the battery.
For example, on a panel of 100W that leaves about 5.8A at ​​maximum power, you lose the difference between the 17 and the 13.8V of voltage difference, ie 3.2 * 5.8 = 18W of lost
A MPPT converts you the difference of voltage in current of load and in this same example would provide you a current of 6.5A

Conversely when the sky is a little overcast, if the voltage of the battery is greater than that of the panel, a normal regulator comes out nothing. With a MPPT it increases the charging voltage to still supply current.
I see it on mine, I have a monocrystalline PV of 80Wc that does not come out on a cloudy day, but even in gray weather my MPPT regulator gets out on average 0.1A, ok it's just 1 W, but it allows to keep the battery charged. And as soon as the sky clears up a little it goes up quickly to 5 or 6 W
Ok it's not obvious, the gain is much more important when the sun hits hard and the panel voltage is high but still.

I paid for my 200 € controller because I wanted one that could adapt to both 12V and 24V so I would not change when I put my second panel. (in addition it displays current and battery voltage without that I needed to add something else)
But if you take something fixed voltage it costs less.
0 x

Go back to "Real estate and eco-construction: diagnostics, HQE, HPE, bioclimatism, natural habitat and climatic architecture"