Exhaust Valve to: consumption of improvement

Tips, advice and tips to lower your consumption, processes or inventions as unconventional engines: the Stirling engine, for example. Patents improving combustion: water injection plasma treatment, ionization of the fuel or oxidizer.
SixK
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Exhaust Valve to: consumption of improvement

by SixK » 28/10/08, 20:39

A track that runs through my head to save fuel.

Fit an exhaust valve.

This device has been found mainly recently on motorcycles.
In theory, the valve makes it possible to increase the torque at low speed (therefore potentially to lower consumption).

Mounting a real valve system may be difficult to put in place on a car, but I tell myself that mounting a valve system on the exhaust outlet with a spring must be easily achievable at lower cost to study the utility of such a system.

SixK
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 28/10/08, 21:29

Hello Sixk

Are you thinking about this system?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EXUP

There must be something to do, not too difficult, on old cars. I have something like this in my plans for my R19.

On the EXUP the positioning of the flap is not trivial, it is at the junction of a tuned 4 in 1 (for a relatively high speed). On a car the exhaust manifold joins the pipes well before without trying to take advantage of the acoustic tuning. So the right positioning along the exhaust is to be found ...: Mrgreen:

I suppose that on recent cars, covered with lambda probe electronics and other catalysts, it must be more difficult to achieve and make a difference in performance in consumption.
A+
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 28/10/08, 23:11

Hello

I do not want to revive you but in the 70s all the V8 of American cars had a valve on the exhaust in general placed at the exit of the cast iron manifold, this valve at idle partially obstructs the exhaust it is controlled by a simple spiral which gradually opens with temperature, the goal is to have a faster reheating of the engine block.
I do not hang epas on a 6 liter engine displacement at that time we cared about fuel economy.
With the age of the vehicle, this valve became noisy, the guys blocked it in the open position.

Lastly son has redone all its exhaust on a Jetta Diesel (the same engine as the Gulf 1,6 l indirect injection)
it has to replace the original conduit by a larger stainless steel of diameter 52mm and also have a low restriction silencer in stainless steel, result the temperature of the engine block has difficulty to mount almost no cabin heating despite a change of calorstat, it are going to have to check this more closely

Andre
0 x
SixK
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by SixK » 29/10/08, 11:17

@Flytox,

Indeed an exhaust valve like the Yamaha system, is probably what is most effective, but to successfully mount an equivalent system on a car it may be complicated for an individual.
The valve control is mechanical ...

Ideally, you should be able to control the opening electronically by indexing to the engine speed reading.

In fact I was thinking of a simpler system to set up as described in my previous post.
A simple valve which would open with the force of the gases at the exhaust outlet.
I imagine that such a system would be far from being optimal or even could bring the opposite of the expected result, but given the low investment to design such a system, it is worth doing some tests ...

@andre, an excessively free exhaust is not good for engine performance.
On motorcycles when you change the original line to a freer line, you have to enrich the carburetion to recover the original perf. In general we obtain a higher torque, for a more or less equal power, but this is at the cost of significant overconsumption ...

SixK
0 x
abyssin3
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by abyssin3 » 29/10/08, 12:34

If I am not mistaken, I thought I saw some kind of valve on the truck exhausts. I don't know its exact role.
Am i the only one
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Exhaust valve

by Alain G » 29/10/08, 13:12

Hello
Nothing new, on Ski Doo snowmobiles, it has been around for a long time and the competition has copied the system because it is so effective.

This valve works RAVE (Rotax Ajustable Variable Exhaust) with a diaphragm on the head of the engine and works with the pressure of the exhaust.
This increases the torque at low speed and reduces consumption.

Here is a link where we can see the system:

http://motomarine.forumactif.com/mecani ... -t3999.htm
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 29/10/08, 20:54

Hello Alain G

This system is mounted on a two-stroke engine, it is the equivalent of the Yamaha YPVS invented in the 70s. This system changes the exhaust diagram according to the speed mainly to improve the torque at low speed.

For Sixk
Ideally, you should be able to control the opening electronically by indexing to the engine speed reading.

To start, you can make a very simple assembly of which you seek the optimum opening with stabilized mode. If you have a gain, you can then aim for more sophisticated management.

The simplest assembly I found, you get a carburetor butterfly with its split rod. You drill the diameter of the throttle axis and right through the exhaust pipe perpendicular to its axis. So that the butterfly part can enter the pipe, you make a slit with a grinder only on one side. You thread the butterfly into the slot and the exhaust pipe. You close everything with arc welding or something ...

Your idea of ​​a valve with a spring must be able to work too. The spring should not work too hot, it would change its behavior ... with the load. By changing the stiffness or preload of the spring, you change the opening law, a beautiful field of exploration ... : Mrgreen:

In the drawing above, if the throttle is off-center on its axis, its position is no longer neutral and it will react with the flow of exhaust gases. The spring can easily take place on the axle or the lever.
A+
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.

[Eugène Ionesco]

Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Exhaust valve: improved consumption

by Woodcutter » 30/10/08, 19:21

SixK wrote:A track that runs through my head to save fuel.

Fit an exhaust valve.

This device has been found mainly recently on motorcycles.
In theory, the valve makes it possible to increase the torque at low speed (therefore potentially to lower consumption). [...]
If I'm not mistaken, the Yamaha EXUP was invented at the end of the 80s (so not really recent ...) and was mainly intended to improve the "sharp" character of the Japanese 4 cylinders of those years. -the...

I do not really believe that it is useful on a car (especially since more and more cars are supercharged) and besides, I do not believe that this system has been copied by other manufacturers ... Unlike the 2T valves found at ALL manufacturers!

For valves on Abyssinian trucks, it is normally a braking system ("retarder"), just like electro-magnetic "TELMA".
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Flytox

Re: Exhaust valve: improved consumption

by Flytox » 30/10/08, 19:42

Hello Buchreron

For valves on Abyssinian trucks, it is normally a braking system ("retarder"), just like electro-magnetic "TELMA".

A guillotine system also existed in Kit to mount on the hanger of the exhaust of 2-stroke Spanish Trial bikes (Bultaco, Montesa, Ossa) in the years 70-80. This made it possible to have "a little" engine braking on long descents for example. But with a manual control, at the slightest false maneuver, ... stalled. : Mrgreen:
A+
0 x

[Eugène Ionesco]

I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 30/10/08, 21:41

: Arrow: I too looked at EXUP type valves, the principle of which could be useful for regulating the operation of a doping reactor or pantone.
I discovered that these valves were not very reliable and required regular maintenance.

Regarding their use on current engines, they are similar to "plasters on wooden legs". Today, to optimize cylinder filling and acoustic phenomena, we play directly on a variable timing of the distribution diagram.
This is the choice adopted by Honda whose technological mastery is more advanced than Kawasaki ...
In cars, BMW has succeeded in eliminating the throttle valve and reducing the efficiency losses (by pumping) that it caused. Their VANOS variable distribution system acting on the intake AND exhaust camshafts.

The future will undoubtedly be distribution electronically controlled by individual actuators of electromagnetic, pneumatic or other valves ... just like what is done in formula 1.
0 x