Stop & Start System (SST) for any car?

Tips, advice and tips to lower your consumption, processes or inventions as unconventional engines: the Stirling engine, for example. Patents improving combustion: water injection plasma treatment, ionization of the fuel or oxidizer.
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 18/07/13, 17:16

Macro wrote:A power steering belt starts to squeal when you turn the steering wheel and the pump growls at that time and it's good because of the flow ...
Pump I have a few dozen that turn to my ears all day long they are centrifugal the curve is quite different but on volumetric with internal bypass we have similarities ...

of memory on the one that is inspected the most at 240m3 / h and 5,8bars they are at 170A at 120m3h and 6.3bar they are at 100A .. And discharge at 1.5bar the flow rises to about 440m3h ... And there we are in 240A, we have to "winnow" it otherwise the engine thermals jump ...

The DA pump set with its free return to the bowl will be in exactly the same kind of configuration ...

A centrifugal pump decreases its energy consumption with less flow but this is not the case of a hydraulic pump which is designed to build up a pressure and which without the pressure regulator would simply stop turning by the sealed character of its pumping compartments.
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 23/07/13, 09:37

2nd return to SST experience over 624 km, of which approximately 150 km traveled by the lady who drove normally (without SST).
It was about going to a wedding in Dordogne with about 200km of highway and the rest of secondary roads that I didn't know.
My benchmark consumption since I have this vehicle is 8.99l / 100km
It settled this weekend at 7.35l / 100km : Mrgreen:

The development is encouraging, all the more so since, having not modified the vehicle and not completely mastering the controls, it happened to me:
1 - Switch off the ignition completely and therefore drive without scrolling the odometer (electric model) ...
2 - To switch off the ignition too quickly and to put it back on before the engine stopped, so I drove in freewheel at idle and not engine stopped ...
3 - I had to restart the engine, having cut the engine, more than 3 hard brakes which had exhausted the reserve of brake assistance.

It becomes obvious that installing my 12V steering and braking assistance pumps is essential.

I'm still thinking about how to order the engine shutdown:
1 - Before the injection computer
2 - Between the computer and the injectors (which will cause consumption of the computer and ignition) ...
0 x
ggdorm
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by ggdorm » 23/07/13, 12:54

Personally and as we did at the Ecoshell marathon, the best solution for me is to cut the power supply to the electronic unit, which cuts the ignition, the injection, the supply of the sensors and the components connected to it. http://www.ghostproductions.com/medical ... uble01.jpg

I also performed a start & stop test, between a maximum speed range (70 km / h) and a minimum speed range (50 km / h), on a flat road. My acceleration time to reach 70 km / h is between 5 and 6 seconds and my driving time with the engine off is between 24.5 and 27.2 seconds. The engine is therefore operated 1/4 of the running time. However, for these figures to have any meaning, I would have to know my consumption at 60 km / h, in normal operation, during the 25 + 6 seconds of my modified cycle and my consumption during the 6 seconds of acceleration. To do this, I would have to get the information from the flowmeter but unfortunately I cannot tinker with this car!
Between 120 km / h and 100 km / h, the freewheeling time / acceleration time ratio is much lower because the aerodynamic losses become very significant. My acceleration time was 8 seconds for 12 seconds freewheeling.
Good day to all!
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 23/07/13, 20:16

If your vehicle is OBD compliant, it is possible to retrieve this information with a compatible OBD box like the SCANGAUGE
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 23/07/13, 20:24

to know if it is necessary to leave the electronic box under tension or to cut it completely it would be necessary to know its programming in detail ... it is possible that when it remains under tension it keeps the optimum parameters, whereas when one cuts it completely it puts back everything to zero and restart with default parameters, taking several minutes to find the correct parameters

the ideal solution would be to program the electronics specially to take into account downtime

for example when the engine stops for one minute the combustion chambers cool down while the vibrelin oil remains very hot and good to support the maximum power: therefore the restart can be done full pot and not slowly like a start normal

even better, when the cylinder and cylinder head are slightly cooled we can increase the ignition timing which is equivalent to an increase in the compression ratio for efficiency: therefore engine performance in the first minute better than in operation constant

this is all the more reason for the modern car buyer to demand access to the electronic bazaar programming tools

pressure must be put on the manufacturer! Peugeot Citroen and Renault have a hard time selling their car! by giving or selling at a reasonable price what it takes to program it will win the clientele of a few enthusiasts who may even bring new ideas

do not forget that many great innovations have been made by amateurs: big example the hydraulic suspension, made by an amateur on the traction, and then assembled in series by citroën on the traction H and which served as a prototype for the DS

with access to the programming of electronics, adding one more output to order a clutch will be a joke ... while adding a lot of things to fool the original electronics will be a pain

other remark the big company do not want to work with private individuals ... the company chatelot energie which I am building was not primarily the automobile, but could well put the nose if there has people interested

car manufacturers are not free software enthusiasts, do not want to distribute information in any way: be associated and we will be in a position to get what is necessary and possibly benefit from it
0 x
ggdorm
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by ggdorm » 23/07/13, 20:26

Thank you for the info! A little expensive as a box for the information I want to get out. I would rather buy the ODB cable for about twenty euros. Suitcase softwares from all major manufacturers are not specially legal on the internet.
0 x
ggdorm
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by ggdorm » 23/07/13, 20:42

For injection, there are also megaquirt programmable boxes which work very well once you understand the system. Several people have replaced their original case with this one. The engine of our prototype for the ecoshell marathon was managed by this box. In the automotive training center where I did my TFE, a student was working on injecting gas in addition to diesel on a recent van. The gas injection was managed by the megasquirt.
When the ignition is switched off, the box cuts out. There is no programming loss to my knowledge. To simplify, an injection mapping is never more than a 2-dimensional matrix. On the Y axis, the speed of rotation and on the X axis, the engine load given for example by the opening of the throttle valve or the vacuum in the intake duct. When the ignition is switched on, the box collects the information from the various sensors and determines how far it is operating. Then, the temperature sensors allow compensations via coefficients in the mapping.
For me, it is surely not possible to order a cylinder via the electronic box of a car. The best solution is to prick on the sensors and make a personal program to manage it. It is not particularly difficult!
For me, an interesting car to program a system as I imagine it is the small Smart Fortwo. From the moment we have a robotized gearbox, an external automaton can send it the pulses to control it I think. It could thus automatically switch to neutral and shut down its engine before restarting and engaging the ideal gear corresponding to the speed of the vehicle and perhaps to the profile of the terrain where it is moving. With a megasquirt box or others, it would be possible to carry out an optimal mapping for the desired mode of use. These are the kinds of things that fascinate me!
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 24/07/13, 11:12

This MegaSquirt case is nice, I like the concept, but it requires high skills, a lot of time and a significant budget.
For now I will do the simplest, the cheapest, without software modifications.

My goal is to experiment, but I am running out of time and my old vehicle is neither very common nor much sought after.

Typically, it would be an interesting outlet for MégaSquirt if I drove in a very wide distribution car (small low-end petrol model).

My dream would rather be to graft a Prius powertrain into my minivan and add a lithium battery under the floor (there is room) to operate Plug In Hybrid ...
: Idea:
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 24/07/13, 11:45

I was interested in the megaskirt a few years ago: I find it a bit expensive, and don't really like the motorola microcontroller they chose (motorola is the old name now I think it's freescale)

I would prefer to do the same with an atmel, like the arduino due
http://www.lextronic.fr/P19885-platine-arduino-due.html

I find that the megaskirt lacks computing capacity and memory, because for me a new electronic box must have a large capacity of measurement and recording to facilitate the development: it must not only do the work for which it is programe but record everything in detail to facilitate the development

it is also useful to be able to mount it as a spy for the original electronic system: it does not control anything, but only records in detail what the original electronics do when you are driving

we can then mount it as a spy for the original electronics and control the freewheeling system, before putting in the spotlight what it takes to completely replace the original electronics
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 24/07/13, 13:37

Yes the base chosen by Mega Squirt is less efficient than the very popular ATMEL, but they have the advantage of prior art on the engine calculator application with pre-assembled solutions ... and the price that goes with it.

I adhere to the concept, but I do not intend to invest in it ... :?
0 x