Stop & Start System (SST) for any car?

Tips, advice and tips to lower your consumption, processes or inventions as unconventional engines: the Stirling engine, for example. Patents improving combustion: water injection plasma treatment, ionization of the fuel or oxidizer.
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Stop & Start System (SST) for any car?

by I Citro » 28/10/12, 23:05

This subject which could be the starting point of a movement comparable to that of the Gillier Pantone montages.

The idea came to me after trying a hybrid car (the very convincing Yaris, the only car to have obtained the Made in France label).
I noticed that the heat engine of this car kept turning on and off to save precious fuel.

We often read that after a few seconds, it is economical to shut down the engine.

I then remembered the Volkwagen "Formel E" released 30 years ago (1982).

My idea is therefore to mount a device to cut the engine and restart it without touching the ignition key.
: Idea:
Start-up devices exist in accessories in the world of tuning. They are placed on the dashboard or the center console. There are even light buttons integrated on the gear lever. 8)

My intention would be to minimize my unnecessary fuel consumption as much as a Toyota hybrid vehicle does (but without the benefit of energy recovery and electric traction).

To do this, I would shut off the engine during the deceleration phases (including at high speed) by coasting (declutching and / or shifting to neutral) then I would restart it in gear, if the vehicle did not stop completely stopped or with the button if the vehicle is completely stopped.

Having only one convertible vehicle (the others are electric cars), I will have to make 2 additional modifications.

My current vehicle is a 15-year-old Citroën MPV. Driving without an engine also means no power steering or brake assist.
I therefore plan to mount an electric power steering pump like those fitted to many diesel models of the same era as well as a brake assist vacuum pump also fitted as standard or optional on certain French models.

This type of project, if it is widely debated and implemented would allow the sharing of experiences and solutions of each one as it is the case for the Gillier Pantone montages and other doping with water.
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 29/10/12, 09:20

On old cars, this system uses a lot of the starter and the battery.
If I understood correctly, on current cars, the starter, alternator, propulsion and energy recovery functions under braking are ensured by a single oversized, therefore reliable, electric motor.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 29/10/12, 13:18

I sometimes did it with a gasoline car ... because of a broken handbrake: let it stall at each stop, and restart then ... it wears the starter a little more but it is not a disaster

switch off the engine in the middle of the descent where there is no need for an engine brake, or it naturally goes down to the right speed I have always done this: on the GS there is a warning light which indicates whether the oil pressure brake is sufficient: as long as you do not brake the pressure remains available for a long time, sufficient for emergency braking

when I used to do it, I used to engage the engine automatically at the slightest unexpected on the road ... there was no power steering

now that there are steering and vacuum pumps for the brakes, it would be possible to modify a vehicle to do so in complete safety

it is even possible to go further: there will be more electrical consumption, it will require a larger alternator: it would be interesting to traffic the regulator so that it does not charge driving independently, but charges as a priority each time that we want to slow down voluntarily ... and do not charge at all when we accelerate: so instead of charging by taking useful power from the engine, we would only charge in deceleration or there is power to lose

a much more powerful alternator is needed since it would work less often

of course when we drive at constant speed at night with the headlights it would be necessary that the rider decides to load without waiting for the slowdown: this system would be especially useful in town or on small roads where we often slow down

in a car there is a massive cast iron flywheel which could be transformed into an alternator motor rotor, and do the alternator and starter function for the same weight

I wonder if I'm not reinventing the hybrid microphone

with this kind of starter alternator flywheel there is no more carbon to use, we can only stop the engine at each stop, but we can also start both the engine and the car and start without clutch

to avoid shaking the car when the engine starts at too low speed, leave the injection cut until the speed is sufficient to start properly: at low speed the efficiency of the electric motor is better than the clutch

I am also participating in a study of a slow alternator for wind turbines: it corresponds perfectly to the size of an engine flywheel ... it could make me want to choose not a completely arbitrary dimension, but one that can be mounted between moetur and gearbox

for those who are not afraid that electronics become essential it is even possible to completely remove the clutch

I prefer to replace it with a smaller clutch, which will not be over since it should no longer be used, but still allowing to drive in case of electronic failure

any information on the alterno starter and micro hybrid would be good to put here

for those who do not want to modify the flywheel, it might be possible to replace the alternator, with a much larger super alternator, capable of starting

to make room it is possible to suppress the vacuum pump and power steering pump driven by the motor, and only rely on the electric

for power steering the electric hydraulic pump is already a progress because it rotates at the optimum speed and not at a variable speed which to be sufficient at low engine speed, and too strong at high speed

the electric power steering pump can run continuously at a speed sufficient for safety, and accelerate when necessary

the future is entirely electric, where the engine is directly coupled to the steering wheel
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 29/10/12, 19:57

Cuicui wrote:On old cars, this system uses a lot of the starter and the battery.
If I understood correctly, on current cars, the starter, alternator, propulsion and energy recovery functions under braking are ensured by a single oversized, therefore reliable, electric motor.
I recently read that a hybrid vehicle (I forgot which one) was equipped with a standard starter because the engineers judged that it is more solid and reliable, in particular by the absence of drive belt and the important gear ratio.
In my case, I mainly use my minivan for long road trips, the starter will be less used than in town.
I do not envisage energy recovery but only the reduction of unnecessary losses. : Idea:
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 29/10/12, 20:06

the classic starter can be solid: to better support repeated starting it is possible to simply choose a model a little larger than the normal model
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 29/10/12, 20:12

chatelot16 wrote:stop the engine on the descents ... I always did it: on the GS there is a warning light which indicates if the brake oil pressure is sufficient: as long as we don't brake the pressure remains available for a long time sufficient for emergency braking.
What memories ... The GS and the DS that I knew better, could not bear more than 2 braking. Citroën hydraulics are interesting vehicles because it suffices to electrically drive the hydraulic pump to have all the easements (steering, braking, suspension).
The BX are becoming rare but there are still the Xantia. : Idea:
chatelot16 wrote:when i used to do it, i used to engage the engine automatically at the slightest unexpected on the road ... there was no power steering.
This is how I intend to proceed, with an electric steering assistance. : Arrowu:
chatelot16 wrote:now that there are steering and vacuum pumps for the brakes, it would be possible to modify a vehicle to do so safely.
Hydraulic and vacuum electric pumps have been around for more than 15 years and have been fitted to certain Peugeot, Citroën and Renault models sold in France.
8)

I'm glad to see that the Stop & Start system inspires you. : Mrgreen:
To say that when it came out in series, 30 years ago, it did not unleash the crowds ... :|
0 x
bamboo
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bamboo » 02/11/12, 14:39

On my 205, I was content to hitchhike & start at red lights and sometimes in traffic jams. To do this, I used the ignition key.
Some people told me that I was going to shoot the starter, but I never had a problem. Especially since the engine is hot, the start is done in a puillème of a second (the starter is therefore not very stressed).
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 02/11/12, 16:13

I also do like Bamboo

What is annoying is that we no longer have braking assistance. You have to be careful if you are on a slope.
0 x
bamboo
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bamboo » 02/11/12, 16:25

Remundo wrote:I also do like Bamboo

What is annoying is that we no longer have braking assistance. You have to be careful if you are on a slope.
Yes, that's why I only did it when stopped or at very low speed.
(I put that in the past, since it is fully automatic on VE and full-hybrid 8) (and when cycling also the legs stop automatically 8) 8) ))
0 x
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 02/11/12, 17:55

Hello

i don't know if should write this on a forum econology
In the 80s I had a Rabbit diesel (Golf for Europeans)
In winter in very cold weather it was very cold at that time -25- 28
when I was going to work from 8 a.m. to 16 p.m. I let the diesel run at a slow speed in the parking lot all this time (without which starting would be impossible.)
it was the same with many heavy equipment, mechanical shovel truck, crane, in the far north they turn continuously, they are stopped only to return to the garage and oil change. (a good blow of mass on a cold axle and it breaks) We were far from the start and stop.

Andre
0 x