Eco-driving in practice: Tips that work!

Tips, advice and tips to lower your consumption, processes or inventions as unconventional engines: the Stirling engine, for example. Patents improving combustion: water injection plasma treatment, ionization of the fuel or oxidizer.
Did67

by Did67 » 14/08/11, 22:26

Flytox wrote:
There is another limit, when you want at all costs to keep the gear above "to consume less", some cars start to heat up ... When you are on a "long" mountain route, you must also look at its temperature. water ....

:

Not on modern cars! For a long time, the "fan" is no longer driven by a belt connected to the engine and therefore proportional to the engine speed ... It is electric ... It was true with "daddy's" cars, where it was necessary to make the mill. for this reason, indeed ... (well, in summer).

So the cooling is 3/4 of the time (even more) free, that is to say linked only to the speed. And not at the engaged speed (3rd, 4th ...) and at engine speed ...

For my C5, it is clear that the mid-range (which must be 3 rpm) is a bit high. I make "pain" around 500 and never (even in summer) my electric fan started (except traffic jams, very steep mountain road and strong climb) ... I mean never on a "rolling" climb. ..
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 14/08/11, 23:24

Did67 wrote:Not on modern cars! For a long time, the "fan" is no longer driven by a belt connected to the engine and therefore proportional to the engine speed ... It is electric ... It was true with "daddy's" cars, where it was necessary to make the mill. for this reason, indeed ... (well, in summer).

So the cooling is 3/4 of the time (even more) free, that is to say linked only to the speed. And not at the engaged speed (3rd, 4th ...) and at engine speed ...

For my C5, it is clear that the mid-range (which must be 3 rpm) is a bit high. I make "pain" around 500 and never (even in summer) my electric fan started (except traffic jams, very steep mountain road and strong climb) ... I mean never on a "rolling" climb. ..

It is indeed a question of cooling assisted by electric fan triggered by thermo contact, when the foot is a little heavy on a somewhat long report, the temperature of the exhaust gases climbs well in the 450 - 500 °, and the temperature of water also climbs. The fan manages to turn continuously ... and if the temperature needle remains too close to the maximum, I end up falling a speed. It goes up at about the same speed but the fan eventually stops. The cylinder head gasket thanks me : Mrgreen:
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
AXEAU
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by AXEAU » 15/08/11, 00:10

Hello,

To complete Flytox's response, the water pump flow rate remained proportional to the engine speed as it was still driven by the crankshaft. So a slightly higher engine speed slightly promotes cooling.

jlg
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 15/08/11, 08:57

Flytox wrote:
It is indeed a question of cooling assisted by electric fan triggered by thermo contact, when the foot is a little heavy on a somewhat long report, the temperature of the exhaust gases climbs well in the 450 - 500 °, and the temperature of water also climbs. The fan manages to rotate continuously ... and if the temperature needle remains too close to the maximum, I end up falling a speed. It goes up at about the same speed but the fan eventually stops. The cylinder head gasket thanks me: mrgreen:

OKAY.

Never lived on mine! The temperature does not flinch ...

FYI, round trip last night around midnight in Strasbourg; flat and fairly deserted highway.

Speed ​​stabilized at 90 km / h: consumption of 5,7 to 6 l / 100 (even on a flat journey, the computer records micro-reliefs and consumption fluctuates!)

Speed ​​stabilized at 110 km / h: 6,8 to 7,2 l

In short, roughly speaking, on a large car (C5 petrol 2.0), going from 90 to 110 km / h costs a bit of a liter per cent!

On the next opportunity, I will try 130 in the same place.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 15/08/11, 09:04

Remundo wrote:
Very recently, my parents bought an entry-level petrol Clio, decked out in the famous green "Renault Eco²" to explain to anyone that a 75 hp petrol engine is ecological ...: cheesy:

This car is a calf until we have passed 3000 rpm.

Same foot on the floor under 3000 rpm, the acceleration is soft. It is in my opinion wanted to respect anti-pollution standards and low consumption on the endurance cycles usually used for this purpose, and precisely on the low engine speed range.

On the other hand, from 3000 rpm, the car pushes harder. Whipping at 4000 rev / min and more, it releases the horses "suddenly" because the jets "wake up"; good but obviously, we must be more at 14L / 100 km than 4L / 100 km.

With such cars, low consumption is obtained without particular effort by a lambda driver who has a light foot.

Eco², it's just because there is an effort to facilitate the recycling of materials when the car dies ...

The low emission / consumption series are LEV ("low emission vehicle") at Renault.

Indeed, to reduce emissions and obtain bonuses / display "green" emission rates to which consumers are beginning to be sensitive, manufacturers greatly lengthen the transmission. Ditto for my C1. It pulls much longer than my C5, despite its very small coocou (3 cylinrdes, 998 cc). Result: the maximum speed is reached in 4th and not in 5th. And on the slightest serious misstep, you have to go back to 4th ...

But question "eco-driving", we are precisely in what we write: the most stabilized speed possible (on the authorized speeds), pull long reports to consume and pollute less. It is by definition, to roll without it "tearing" ... It is thus to roll "calf".
0 x
ThierryLoup
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by ThierryLoup » 15/08/11, 13:26

Wow! I was away for a few days and I did not think that the subject would resume all the more !!

Thank you all for these very interesting answers.

As has been said, it is indeed difficult to know what is going on in our car when we press the accelerator and the person will have a hard time pushing eco-driving fully without this information (d 'elsewhere who has them, who has the iso-consumption card for his vehicle for example?).
The responses of the various speakers also confirm this observation. Many are technical, but disagree on everything. As for me, who is not a scientist at all, that means that I don't understand much anymore !!

Things don't seem as simple on our injection cars as on our old Peugeot 103 mobilettes! What I understood is that each car has its "personality" according to the profile that its manufacturer wanted to give it, to target it to a particular type of public.
So the best solution would be to "feel" it and then move around without pushing it. But the dosage of the accelerator remains a big mystery to me.

Anyway for info, I went from driving where I tried to always stay within the range of so-called optimal engine speed (following false but widespread advice) to driving that we describe here (so I frankly accelerate to reach cruising speed then I stay on the highest gear, neutral during certain passages, engine brake when possible etc) and I have already noticed a clear fuel economy.
I cannot quantify it because I lent my car for more than 100km but I dropped by one or two l / 100km !! I'm "looking forward" to the next full to see.

Happy end of the week to all!
0 x
ThierryLoup
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by ThierryLoup » 15/08/11, 13:29

I forgot.
I do not actually feel that depressing fully or only half the accelerator pedal (during acceleration) has an effect on acceleration (many repetitions). I feel like it behaves the same.

The only difference is that at cruising speed, a certain level of pressure keeps the speed and if you press or release you accelerate or lose speed.

So maybe indeed the problem of knowing "how to press the accelerator" would be obsolete for cars with injection and the real question would be "when and until when should I stay pressed on the accelerator".
0 x
ThierryLoup
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by ThierryLoup » 15/08/11, 13:30

--- EDIT: the message has been posted twice, I don't know how to delete
Last edited by ThierryLoup the 16 / 08 / 11, 14: 03, 1 edited once.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 16/08/11, 10:16

I think there is a relative consensus around:

1) "do not brake as much as possible" therefore anticipate / keep distances

2) beyond 70 km / h, at steady speed, each 20 km / h costs (about 1 liter / 100 km on my C5; probably half on a small - my C1 has no computer); conclusion, drive slower

3) Pull the longest possible gears (contrary to the old saying of "maximum torque speed)

4) Do not squeak the tires and roll like a calf ...

5) Maximum gear on downhill so that the computer "cuts" the injection without this braking too much

With that, it should get better ... I am around 7,5 l / 100 with the C5 on local routes (I stay on the foothills of the Vosges, so a little climb a little descent, villages to cross - in Alsace, there is one every 2 km). The C1 is a little below 5 l, sometimes I border on the 4,5.

PS: they are LPG, I give the equivalent "gasoline"
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 16/08/11, 10:57

Did67 wrote:
Flytox wrote:

Not on modern cars! For a long time, the "fan" is no longer driven by a belt connected to the engine and therefore proportional to the engine speed ... It is electric ... It was true with "daddy's" cars, where it was necessary to make the mill. for this reason, indeed ... (well, in summer).

There are still vehicles where the ventilators are driven by the engine via a vicocoupler ... All the manufacturers have not given in to the fairy electricity.
0 x

Back to "Special motors, patents, fuel consumption reduction"