Eco-driving in practice: Tips that work!

Tips, advice and tips to lower your consumption, processes or inventions as unconventional engines: the Stirling engine, for example. Patents improving combustion: water injection plasma treatment, ionization of the fuel or oxidizer.
Christophe

Re: Eco-driving in practice: tips that work!

by Christophe » 23/01/20, 13:52

izentrop wrote:By taking your foot off the accelerator, electric cars can generate significant engine braking. To the point that some manufacturers promise that driving with a single pedal is possible. https://www.sciencesetavenir.fr/high-te ... ein_127666

Bin gosh ... isn't this just a story of configuration and systematic regeneration (see the macro "more or less")? Because physically it is not coherent at all! All the brushless motors I have have almost no motor braking ... and the braking of any electric motor is weak compared to its thermal equivalent.

When stopped, you can generally turn a 100 kW electric motor by hand (slowly but it turns) ... something unthinkable with a heat engine of the same power ... since there is much more internal friction and of parts to be moved ...
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 23/01/20, 13:59

Christophe wrote:
izentrop wrote:By taking your foot off the accelerator, electric cars can generate significant engine braking. To the point that some manufacturers promise that driving with a single pedal is possible. https://www.sciencesetavenir.fr/high-te ... ein_127666

Bin gosh ... isn't this just a story of configuration and systematic regeneration (see the macro "more or less")? Because physically it is not coherent at all! All the brushless motors I have have almost no motor braking ... and the braking of any electric motor is weak compared to its thermal equivalent.

When stopped, you can generally turn a 100 kW electric motor by hand (slowly but it turns) ... something unthinkable with a heat engine of the same power ... since there is much more internal friction and of parts to be moved ...

Perhaps by lifting the foot, it triggers a "dynamo" which recharges the batteries and therefore provides engine braking. It's possible?
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/01/20, 14:00

To return to "more or less" ...

I hope that the engineers have done their job of energy sizing correctly because it seems to me that it is better to use inertia than to regenerate the battery all the time ...

Analogy: energetically, it is better to have a flat road than a hilly road ...The climb will always consume more energy than the downhill gains ...

Well the regenerative is, I think, the same! Not to mention the inevitable losses ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/01/20, 14:00

GuyGadebois wrote:Perhaps by lifting the foot, it triggers a "dynamo" which recharges the batteries and therefore provides engine braking. It's possible?

Yes Guy! This is what is called regenerative mode. But there is no dynamo, it is the motor which is reversible!
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 23/01/20, 14:01

Christophe wrote:
GuyGadebois wrote:Perhaps by lifting the foot, it triggers a "dynamo" which recharges the batteries and therefore provides engine braking. It's possible?

Yes Guy! This is what is called regenerative mode. But there is no dynamo, it is the motor which is reversible!

Well here it is, the mystery of the "engine brake" is no more. : Mrgreen:
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/01/20, 14:03

Well if a motor may not be regenerative (depending on what is applied to its terminals) ...
0 x
plasmanu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by plasmanu » 23/01/20, 14:12

The regenerative is like on a small wind turbine (without physical brake or gearbox) when there is too much wind. The electronics are responsible for braking and balancing the excess on a discharge circuit. There it discharges on the battery: logical.
When empty it turns like in melted butter
0 x
"Not to see Evil, not to hear Evil, not to speak Evil" 3 little monkeys Mizaru
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/01/20, 14:18

This is what I say from before: syears electro-magnetic (wanted and controlled) braking, an electric motor has almost no motor brake (we can speak in pouillèmes)

The engine brake of an EV could come from a possible gearbox or from the other power transmission components, on the other hand ... but this will remain an overshot of that of a thermal.

When you go from a petrol engine to a diesel engine, the difference is already obvious! A gasoline engine has a lot more, just because of the gas butterflies ... yet the compression is stronger in a diesel ...

I think that manufacturers automatically use regenerative ("more or less") because drivers are used to this, they have always driven with engine brakes, they have been taught to use it and so do not disturb them too much and then it certainly avoids accidents!
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 23/01/20, 14:23

Christophe wrote:Well if a motor may not be regenerative (depending on what is applied to its terminals) ...

I admit that I am dumped. Above "This is what we call the regenerative mode. But there is no dynamo, it is the motor which is reversible" and then "Bin yes because an engine may not be regenerative" ... :( :( :(
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/01/20, 14:25

May NOT be ... It means it can be too! Must follow! : Cheesy: Manu also explained with other words ...

Forget it I think I found the why of how to the systematic engine brake of EVs, see my message just before!
0 x

Back to "Special motors, patents, fuel consumption reduction"