[PPE] Clean Car

Tips, advice and tips to lower your consumption, processes or inventions as unconventional engines: the Stirling engine, for example. Patents improving combustion: water injection plasma treatment, ionization of the fuel or oxidizer.
sakenplet
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

[PPE] Clean Car

by sakenplet » 01/03/08, 13:03

Hi everybody !

My PPE subject is to run a radio-controlled car (thermal based) on a 40m corridor in less than 2 min thanks to clean energy :)
As we have just started we have identified several ideas that we must develop before the teachers choose us one of these systems. 8)

Constraints:
-No the right to use the EDF network
- You have the right to recharge your system (battery for example with a non-polluting source, a crank or a solar panel for example: p) but in less than 1 hour

Our ideas {and problems : Lol:}:

-The fuel cell
{in this part no problem we have what it takes}

-The "water rocket" system: we use the principle of water rockets to turn a turbine that drives the car.
{ Question 1 : I would like to know how to assemble a system of this kind, in particular for the sealing and for the choice of the turbine}

-Battery usage
{ Question 2 : how to choose the battery? but above all what non-polluting processes can be used to charge it in 1 hour?}

-Use of mechanical energy
{We thought of two things: The flywheel that can be adapted for example with the "water rocket" system, or the spring motor systems.
Question 3 : how can we make a spring motor (like in Mc Donald's toys for example lol: p), we can find some and is it powerful enough to travel 40m?}

Here, here :D
It would be cool if you could answer a few of these 3 questions : Mrgreen:
Thank you very much
++
0 x
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Chatham » 01/03/08, 13:37

rubber band motor + inertia ... it reminds me of toys from my childhood ... : Cheesy:
0 x
Eloi
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Eloi » 21/03/08, 17:20

Hello,

Have you thought about pneumatic power?
I think 2 or 3 soda bottles filled with compressed air using a bicycle pump contain enough energy to take your car 40m. The problem would be to find a pneumatic motor to convert this pneumatic energy into mechanical energy.

Eloi
0 x
sakenplet
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by sakenplet » 11/04/08, 15:21

Thanks for all.
Finally the teachers directed us towards a purely electric system because even with a pneumatic or mechanical system, the direction remains obligatory because the corridor contains dervers, but the servomotor works thanks to electric energy.

Moreover, there is still a problem.
A battery or accumulators must be charged using a solar panel for one hour or using a direct current machine in generator mode.

Could one hour of exposure in full sun of a solar panel (of dimensions 30 cm * 15 cm approximately) could make turn a motor to travel 50 m in 2min50 maximum. Likewise, will turning a crank for 1 hour be enough?

I don't really know how to choose the batteries or the generator. A little help would be welcome.
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 11/04/08, 15:39

Hello, DIY students!

1m² of photovoltaic panels gives you about 100W in full sun. For 1 hour, you therefore have 100 Wh.

But charging your battery wastes energy a little ... Let's say you can expect 80 Wh with 1m² PV panels.

80 Wh is 288 Joules
(1Wh = 3600 J)

Your toto must cover 40 m in 1 minute, i.e. a speed of 40/60 = 0,66 m / s. At this speed, very little friction, provided that the wheels of your toto are on bearings, in any case with little dissipative bearings.

If it weighs m = 1 kg, it must be given an energy of 0,222J = 1 / 2mv².

You can see that you have 99% of the energy left ... A PV panel of 1/4 m² is still more than enough.

You can use this kind of calculations to refine your sizing.

Good luck !
0 x

Back to "Special motors, patents, fuel consumption reduction"