Tips: reducing fuel consumption

Tips, advice and tips to lower your consumption, processes or inventions as unconventional engines: the Stirling engine, for example. Patents improving combustion: water injection plasma treatment, ionization of the fuel or oxidizer.
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 05/12/07, 22:01

dreamer wrote:From how much downtime is it better to completely shut down the engine rather than idling it, given the fact (I presume) that starting an engine consumes more fuel than idling .

3 minutes idle consumes as much as one kilometer traveled at 50km / h. (This is an average, it varies depending on the type of engine and vehicle)
0 x
Every action counts for our planet !!!
dreamer
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by dreamer » 06/12/07, 00:04

I have just learned from my uncle who bought a new BMW (yes I know that made me the mm effect: s) that they also integrate the stop & start (same as for citroen) ie the fact that the cutting engine has the stop.
Well jjou ^^
For that it develops in ALL BRANDS ^^
Ca + particle filter and the diesel becomes really the 1ere solution before the diesel hybrids and the car elec in 2009 (blue car :D)
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 06/12/07, 09:09

no but the start & stop is only on gasoline!
on diesel the particulate filter is a dirt like EGR:
http://www.nrjrealiste.fr/doc/EGR_FAP.htm

I have been driving for 4 years on recycled restaurant oil on a 1.9 TD 93: am I a "clean" car or not?
0 x
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Chatham » 06/12/07, 18:22

jonule wrote:no but the start & stop is only on gasoline!

I have been driving for 4 years on recycled restaurant oil on a 1.9 TD 93: am I a "clean" car or not?

Indeed, the stop and start (I roll in C2 stop and start), launched by Citroën on C3 then C2 a long time ago, more recently on a BMW, only works on gasoline, on diesel there is too many technical problems ...
The VW 1.9 93 were not euro3 compatible, the use of French fries makes them just less polluting ... : Mrgreen:
0 x
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 06/12/07, 18:36

Chatham wrote:Indeed, the stop and start (I roll in C2 stop and start), launched by Citroën on C3 then C2 a long time ago, more recently on a BMW, only works on gasoline, on diesel there is too many technical problems ...
The VW 1.9 93 were not euro3 compatible, the use of French fries makes them just less polluting ... : Mrgreen:

Sorry to contradict you guys but the stop and start is also on the diesel engine at BMW! My father has a BMW diesel and it is equipped with this system !!!
0 x
Every action counts for our planet !!!
dreamer
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by dreamer » 07/12/07, 03:21

Eh beh the debate is launched? laugh out loud
Finally it reassures me that it also exists on diesel ....

http://www.lefigaro.fr/automobile/2007/ ... iesel-.php

http://www.auto-innovations.com/actualite/836.html

Bmw goes back in my esteem :)

Dreamer
0 x
dreamer
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by dreamer » 07/12/07, 04:15

I did not know the EGR but it is not the particle filter, which, according to what I have already seen, works perfectly well.
If you have sources that explain what's wrong, I'm curious :)
Dreamer
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 07/12/07, 09:14

christophe made an article on this subject, on this site ;-)

happy to know that it exists on diesel, so.

Chatham wrote:The VW 1.9 93 were not euro3 compatible, the use of French fries makes them just less polluting ... : Mrgreen:

What is less polluting? because we can not compare fossil CO2 (oil) with renewable CO2 (vegetable oil)?!
+ The burning of a vegetable oil (which does not contain sulfur originally) emits particles much larger and therefore much less dangerous for the lungs than the combustion of a mineral oil (oil)!
0 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 14/03/08, 10:15

Hi the economizers

I ride for a few months in space 2.2DCI for my personal journeys and clio 1.5DCI for work

Thanks to the onboard computer I observed the different operations and applying a beast method I saved 1l / 100 fuel for space as well as for the clio

this applies especially for mixed paths:

the calculator of these engine optimizes mixing only at steady stateso it's simple: in the acceleration phase, it's a good thing to go straight and, as soon as you reach the speed, raise the foot slightly and do not move any more, the calculator then reduces the richness and opens the EGR valve, you can then see the instantaneous consumption drop and modulate automatically to maintain speed even when changing inclinations (light)

Complement, anticipate: disengage and coast to the red light or the next roundabout

and all that without dragging, at the same speed as other drivers who keep changing engine speed
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
davcom
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by davcom » 08/03/09, 07:01

+ 1 with Capt_Maloche except for freewheeling. Unless the 307 HDi is different than the DCI, roll freewheeling consumes more than roll in engine braking ... How to be convinced, ride the engine brake downhill and note the conso instantannée ... On my HDi 70 engine brake I arrive at 0,01L / 100Kms in conso instantannée ... And while maintaining the same speed, go freewheeling. When I did the experiment, at 90KM / Hr the instantaneous conso told me about 1L / 100KMs coasting ...
In my opinion the injection is minimal in engine braking or deceleration after downshifting because no need for much fuel to run the engine, it rotates thanks to the inertia of the vehicle through the transmission. On the other hand in freewheeling it must turn to the combustion ... From where the remark earlier than a vehicle at the stop 3mins consumes as much as a vehicle on 1KM to 50KM / Hr;)
0 x