Ecodriving, yes ... but watch out for premature wear!

Tips, advice and tips to lower your consumption, processes or inventions as unconventional engines: the Stirling engine, for example. Patents improving combustion: water injection plasma treatment, ionization of the fuel or oxidizer.
Flytox

by Flytox » 27/03/14, 19:17

Macro wrote:There are brakes and brakes ... My alfa 156 poor man's model (105cv JTD) is equipped with small non-ventilated discs at the front ... In fast & furious use ... They quickly give slack and start to make noise on the braking supported (yet they are in good condition) ...

When the brakes whistle, it is possible to attenuate or to make disappear by making a chamfer with the file or grind of the genus 2 mm to 45 ° on the edge of attack of the plate, side large radius and small radius.

One can also do by putting a small foil asymmetrically behind the plate so that it wears slightly at an angle. Attention it brakes queudale on the first blow of brakes !!!
the time it sets in place. : Mrgreen:
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 28/03/14, 08:44

The noise of my heavily loaded 156's brakes is more of a growling sound than a siflement (a bit of the kind of triggering of the abs but less loud and without the vibrations in the pedal) and they lose their effectiveness (not in a dangerous way but rather in a message of aletre that you sum slow your bullshit)

For the flat on the tire it feels good in the steering wheel around the 50 has 70km / h while holding the steering wheel with the fingertips it gives accoups ...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/03/14, 23:03

I put the summer tires this afternoon, I took advantage of course to watch the records ...

The most worn is the left front, the least used the right front (strange as asymmetry ...).

Here are the pictures of the state of the left front disc, 105 000 km and soon 6 years ... say it is well cooked !!

Wafer condition, half wear:

Deposits on the inside:

0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 29/03/14, 23:18

Northern roads with winter salting leave traces ...

I think your pads have exceeded 50% wear. :?

I replaced last summer the pads of my minivan that had then 230.000km.
The discs were worn just below the minimum rating but I did not replace them. I just removed the outer "border" with a disc grinder which facilitates the reassembly of the pads.

At the technical control, the technician did not notice anything ...Image
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/03/14, 00:30

Yes, it can be a little more than half wear ... but far from being cooked these pads ... unlike the discs!

230 000 km for 1 board game ????
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 30/03/14, 10:11

Christophe wrote:Here are the pictures of the state of the left front disc, 105 000 km and soon 6 years ... say it is well cooked !!

Ben, mechanic colleagues will confirm or not: I do not see anything frightening! It has 100 000, so is not new, it's clear!

There is a minimum thickness that must be checked.

The rusty edge: I have the same thing, never asked myself a question; all my records were like this after "a while". And it passes the technical controls, so I must: a) it shows; b) not retested, it is enough!

It is a little "LP", but there either, nothing that maddens me.
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 30/03/14, 21:03

@ Christopher

For wear not symmetrical right left, it's commonplace when you have brake calipers like yours (single piston). You have to knock out the movement of the entire caliper which is supposed to come back after each braking. You can also have the lip seal on the piston in the caliper which is not enough elastic and which does not bring enough piston back when the brake pressure drops to take off the plate of the disc.

For noise / grazing, it can also come from a disk that wears like that.

When the disc is eaten like this, the life of a new pad is very limited, and it takes many kilometers to "break in" to form and brake "properly".
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.

[Eugène Ionesco]

http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 31/03/14, 08:34

Christophe wrote:I put the summer tires this afternoon, I took advantage of course to watch the records ...

The most worn is the left front, the least used the right front (strange as asymmetry ...).

Here are the pictures of the state of the left front disc, 105 000 km and soon 6 years ... say it is well cooked !!

Wafer condition, half wear:

Deposits on the inside:

Ya not photo your discs are dead ... And your sturdy sliders certainly need a good degripage ... Your inner pad does not seem to rub on the disc (it's weird because normally it's the reverse happens) ... In any case it needs a bit of love all that ... Jee advise you like flytox to completely overhaul your staples (if you can find the kit seals piston and cie) and to change your liquid on the whole car ..
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/03/14, 10:28

Goods.

Yes saw the state, the change of the 4 disks is expected ... I'll let you know ... I will also check the stirrups!

The bleeding of the brake fluid has already been done (at least) 2 times at the garage during the current revisions.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 03/09/14, 14:02

Christophe wrote:I put the summer tires this afternoon, I took advantage of course to watch the records ...

(...)

I just changed the discs (finally!) And here is the state of wear of the original discs at BM at less than 120 000 km / 6 years / 1er set of pads, inner side of a front brake and a rear brake:

: Shock: : Shock: : Shock:

I specify that the photo was taken just after disassembly, no moisture storage or other!

Do not tell me this is not part of BM's scheduled maintenance program! Shameful! :| :| :|

I'm going to make a topic with more detailed pictures and pads (which were far from HS), there I mounted brembo myself for less than 350 € while the quote at bm to put their same crap discs was at 1100 € (500 € in car center)!
0 x

Back to "Special motors, patents, fuel consumption reduction"