The floods of 2018 are as severe as those of 1910 (in terms of rainfall)!

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
Christophe

Re: The floods of 2018 are as severe as those of 1910 (in terms of precipitation)!

by Christophe » 31/01/18, 16:11

And the forecasts are far from dry in the Ardennes for the next few days ... in short, it is likely to rise again (it was in decline since Sunday) ...

https://fr.meteox.com/fr-fr/gfsforecast/europe/rain
0 x
Christophe

Re: The floods of 2018 are as severe as those of 1910 (in terms of precipitation)!

by Christophe » 31/01/18, 16:44

Remundo wrote:common sense for ages would have been to never build in a flood zone ...

Except that, historically "dry" areas are likely to become regularly floodable in the years to come if the evolution of precipitation continues to increase ... and a priori it should go there ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 31/01/18, 17:17

Or to build intelligently in a flood zone, especially for "small buildings": constructions on stilts, "natural basins" grassed 9 out of 10 years (biodiversity), flooded in the 11th, footbridges, etc.

In the FRance2 newsgroup, they presented low-cost housing projects with all these elements ... No more expensive than elsewhere. Only concession: the equivalent of the ground floor is a slab used for parking - which must of course evacuate when a flood is announced.

We should give them a "bonus" in terms of insurance, because what few French people know is that insurers rush in and "advertise themselves": they are not the ones who pay, when it is. declared a natural disaster, but a special fund to which all insured (including me, who have no chance of being flooded in the next 300 million years ...) contribute.
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/01/18, 17:31

Did67 wrote:In the FRance2 newsgroup, they presented low-cost housing projects with all these elements ... No more expensive than elsewhere. Only concession: the equivalent of the ground floor is a slab used for parking - which must of course evacuate when a flood is announced.

Most certainly the same report or HLM that presented in C in the Air above ... Very good initiative! Like what: when we want to have good ideas and realize them, we can! The extra cost was barely 10% they said ... cons must not forget his car at the Parking : Cheesy:
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 31/01/18, 23:38

The gross stupidity in what happens is not to build in a flood zone.

It is to build in a flood zone without taking it into account.

And then how do you do in Venice ..... Image

In short it is necessary that the old houses as much as possible can adapt and that the news, as said above, be built in consequence.

As in Japan, there are anti-seismic rules
It's simple, just think about it.

On the other hand I was a little surprised by some inhabitants (without children in infancy or other motive let us say imperious) easily deserters for reasons which personally seem to me very futile.

"There is no more heat so we go away"
Mazette: you cover yourself and it goes ....
Buy a small oil stove and it goes
You put 2 or 3 blankets on the bed and it goes

We wonder how we did a few decades ago .... and how we always did before having the central heating, running water and electricide ....

Hold electricity ...

Some resisted no heating but then if "no electricity" we go ...

Again we think dream, and they do how the Bretons when they are cut during 15 days, they give up their homes ???
I say bretons because there are often storms there that cause long cuts ....

My faith can live without electricity for a period of time anyway .... without the world collapses.

We light up the oil lamp, candle, headlamp .... etc

When we moved in mid December we did not have electricity for 15 days (the end of the world if we believe the deserters floods : Mrgreen: ) the time they come to deliver ... after the holidays (it had been cut by the vendors because the house was uninhabited)

And we are not dead .... it's even a good memory ...

With 2 solar garden garlands and the gas barbecue (there were electric hobs in the kitchen ... we've been fired since) we live very well the proof

In short, I admit that I was dismayed by the reactions of some ... and how much progress could weaken people in the end
2 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/02/18, 01:11

https://www.courrierinternational.com/a ... s-le-monde

The new flood episode of the Seine, in Paris, captures the attention of the whole world. And what is happening in the French capital should alert many cities around the world on the consequences of global warming, said an American historian on the CNN website.

"Nearly a hundred years later, Paris is again under water, victim of a kind of ritual winter flood that periodically floods the city," writes the American historian Jeffrey Jackson on the CNN site, while the Seine approaches a phase of slow decline after a peak reached Sunday 28 January - with a height of 5,80 meters - in the French capital. Yet, we are still very far from 8,60 meters of the great flood of 1910, "the worst natural disaster in the contemporary history of Paris," adds the author of a book on this historical episode (Paris Under Water, "Paris underwater, "2010, untranslated) that had hit the French capital hard: thousands of people had become homeless, while traders had lost much of their stocks.

As in 1910, Paris will recover from this episode, writes Jeffrey Jackson. However, these floods "must serve as a lesson to other cities," he says:

Forgetting these events is too dangerous because other cities than Paris are exposed to these risks. Not seeing what has happened will deprive them of essential knowledge about how to deal with future environmental and technological threats. "

The historian explains that the damage caused by the great flood of 1910 was largely related to the changes in urban policy of the time: the new sewer system of the city, built in the late nineteenth century, had accelerated the arrival of water under the streets and in the houses. Tunnels of subway lines under construction had allowed the water to reach new neighborhoods, making the situation worse.

Urban policy
"Cities have never been more vulnerable to disasters than they are today, all over the world," says Jackson. Global warming is causing a slow rise in water levels around the globe and a proliferation of intense rainfall events, which are new threats for urban areas. For example, coastal cities like Miami are more vulnerable to disasters than ever before, with average water levels rising - less rainfall is enough to cause flooding. But cities on the land must also adapt their contingency plans: Jackson cites the city of Houston, Texas, where the floods caused by hurricane Harvey surprised planners and highlighted the problems caused by rapid urbanization, especially in risk areas. Around the world, "the definition of a flood zone must be modified so that climate change is taken into account", he concludes, explaining that "Paris today remembers its own history and [that] other cities would do well to do the same. "

A statement shared by the British weekly The Economist, which notes that this is the eighth flood of importance in twenty years in the Paris region and that other European cities must prepare because "climate change will lead to much more intense rainfall events in northern and western Europe ". The European Environment Agency explains that Paris is not the city most exposed to this type of danger: 20% of cities with more than 100 000 inhabitants are considered to be at risk, that is to say that 40% of their territory could be flooded if the level of the rivers that cross them increases by one meter. But it is true that the French capital "continues to capture more attention," concludes The Economist: "Paris is a beautiful city, which attracts millions of tourists each year, and many of its great monuments and museums are on the edge some water."
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/02/18, 12:32

Anyway (a little) of real ...

27332632_1597530413672221_4960237909557108050_n.jpg
27332632_1597530413672221_4960237909557108050_n.jpg (125.91 KB) Viewed times 3584
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 04/02/18, 12:39

nico239 wrote:
In short, I admit that I was dismayed by the reactions of some ... and how much progress could weaken people in the end

The assistantship is developing: it is up to the mayor, to the State ... We have rights (to electricity, to heating, since we pay ...) ... The "candlelight dinner", certainly, but when I want (and only with my teacher - I do not talk about school!). To dine with my wife, I need electricity (and TV which stifles any attempt at dialogue!).

For having spent twelve years in Africa, I sometimes have trouble retaining a dull inner revolt ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/02/18, 13:08

Did67 wrote:I sometimes find it hard to remember a dull inner revolt ...

But please! Do not hold back, this forum has experienced others!
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 04/02/18, 14:03

Floods. The Alma Bridge Zouave wearing a lifejacket

the 04 / 02 / 2018

https://www.ouest-france.fr/meteo/inond ... ge-5544670

It must be the gondoliers of Venice who have given it to the Parisians, they do not need it punctually anymore.

http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/310651/artic ... e-sont-sec
1 x