Simulate global warming in a bubble?

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Simulate global warming in a bubble?

by ABC2019 » 11/03/20, 12:26

Christophe wrote:An idea that I have had in mind for years but that I have never put into practice and that could be really interesting ... for everyone!

Why not make a small simulator of global warming in a closed vase? DIY accessible to all!

The idea is simple: have 2 identical containers exposed to the same source of radiation and which would simulate the Earth's atmosphere.

I think of Ladies Jeanne for example.

you can forget, the problem of the greenhouse effect is linked
* on the one hand to the total opacity of the atmosphere which "integrates" the CO concentration2 over the entire thickness of the atmosphere, not just 20 cm (20 cm of CO2 are NOT infrared opaque)
* else by the effect of the adiabatic gradient of the atmosphere which causes the temperature to decrease with altitude, which is an essential phenomenon to explain why the soil warms up. You will have absolutely nothing like that with your demijohn. The main part of the heating will be due to the fact that the glass blocks the exchange by convection with the ambient environment, but the result will be the same whatever you put in it.
0 x
To pass for an idiot in the eyes of a fool is a gourmet pleasure. (Georges COURTELINE)

Mééé denies nui went to parties with 200 people and was not even sick moiiiiiii (Guignol des bois)
eclectron
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by eclectron » 11/03/20, 13:22

dede2002 wrote:Hello,

It seems to me that the greenhouse effect of glass is much greater than that of CO2 contained in the air?

To be compared with the temperature obtained in a real greenhouse, from which the term "greenhouse effect" was derived.

I bet in both cases the demijohn will be very hot :)

What matters is being able to appreciate the delta provided by the CO2.

and on the other hand, I would put a mass to heat in the Jeanne lady (water in a tight and opaque container?), story that the temperature does not soar, and ditto at night appreciate the cooling of this mass, with or without CO2.
0 x
whatever.
We will try the 3 posts per day max
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 11/03/20, 14:23

eclectron wrote:
dede2002 wrote:Hello,

It seems to me that the greenhouse effect of glass is much greater than that of CO2 contained in the air?

To be compared with the temperature obtained in a real greenhouse, from which the term "greenhouse effect" was derived.

I bet in both cases the demijohn will be very hot :)

What matters is being able to appreciate the delta provided by the CO2.

I predict it will be zero;).
0 x
To pass for an idiot in the eyes of a fool is a gourmet pleasure. (Georges COURTELINE)

Mééé denies nui went to parties with 200 people and was not even sick moiiiiiii (Guignol des bois)
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/03/20, 14:48

Ahmed wrote:This is a very relevant remark, Dede, which calls into question this experience, which is otherwise unpretentious ...

It's fair but we must also remember that CO2 is not the only greenhouse gas, here is a full reminder article: https://www.econologie.com/effet-serre- ... ponsables/

Approximate contributions to greenhouse gas main:

Water vapor (H2O): 60%
carbon dioxide (CO2): 34%
Ozone (O3): 2%
Methane (CH4): 2%
nitrous oxide (NOx): 2%

CO2 contributes only 1/3 of the Earth's greenhouse effect ... Water vapor is by far the most important.

As you say this experience is unpretentious and changing the content or the atmosphere of the bubble will be easy to set up!
0 x
eclectron
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by eclectron » 11/03/20, 15:06

For Dame Jeanne, can be seen from the side of aquariums: balls or rectangular.
But it is true that the weak dimensioning does not leave much thickness "of atmosphere" ...

Should calculate the effect of CO2 on a thickness of 10 to 20cm and see the resolution required by the thermometer to appreciate this delta T °.
Effect of CO2 which cannot be strictly zero. : Wink: but can unfortunately not be measured with amateur means (?)
0 x
whatever.
We will try the 3 posts per day max
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 11/03/20, 15:41

Christophe wrote:...
CO2 contributes only 1/3 of the Earth's greenhouse effect ... Water vapor is by far the most important.

And the water vapor, condensed in clouds even more.

We can easily see it, during a starry night the IR leaves in space, and during a cloudy night the temperature drops little.

The worst scenario, warming issue, would be sunny days and cloudy nights ...
0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 12/03/20, 18:42

dede2002 wrote:...
And the water vapor, condensed in clouds even more.

We can easily see it, during a starry night the IR leaves in space, and during a cloudy night the temperature drops little.

The worst scenario, warming issue, would be sunny days and cloudy nights ...

Yes. Fortunately, statistically it balances.
It will be difficult to simulate that in a cylinder. Especially if in addition, it must rain.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/01/21, 10:41

I finally managed to find a Dame Jeanne !!

Any ideas for experimentation to do with?
0 x

Back to "Climate Change: CO2, warming, greenhouse effect ..."