Remarkable re-greening of the planet

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Remarkable re-greening of the planet

by ABC2019 » 09/04/21, 13:22

sen-no-sen wrote:They would observe, a fortiori since the beginnings of the industrial revolution, a very clear increase in the entropy of the biosphere as well as all the transformations induced by anthropotechnical activities.

I do not know how you measure "the entropy of the biosphere", but for me, it would rather tend to strongly decrease (the meaning of the word "entropy" not being "that it goes badly").
0 x
To pass for an idiot in the eyes of a fool is a gourmet pleasure. (Georges COURTELINE)

Mééé denies nui went to parties with 200 people and was not even sick moiiiiiii (Guignol des bois)
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 09/04/21, 13:24

Let's build golf courses everywhere to make the planet even more green. : roll:
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 09/04/21, 13:43

ABC2019 wrote:
sen-no-sen wrote:They would observe, a fortiori since the beginnings of the industrial revolution, a very clear increase in the entropy of the biosphere as well as all the transformations induced by anthropotechnical activities.

I do not know how you measure "the entropy of the biosphere", but for me, it would rather tend to strongly decrease (the meaning of the word "entropy" not being "that it goes badly").

Entropy is a general concept that goes in the direction of life as well as destruction.
However, in the context of biology, we consider the degradation * (in this case of an ecosystem) by the amount of energy capable of increasing the entropy of an organized system.
This is manifested in particular by:
-Artificialization of soils.
-Decrease in biodiversity.
-Pollution.
And all this can be seen at a minimum ...

* Synonym at the individual level of the notion of aggression.
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 09/04/21, 13:52

ABC2019 wrote:you mix everything up, of course, there are facts, like the disappearance of the wolf and the bear from French territory. Whether it is good to reintroduce them or not (or to accept that they come back naturally like the wolf), it is not a fact, it is an opinion.

If we reintroduce the wolf, it means that the latter has been hunted previously... It is necessary to make a distinction (of size!) Between an event located in our past and others currently in progress or projected in the future.
We see that species will disappear due to anthropotechnical activity, that is not an opinion, it is an anticipated fact. But maybe you will tell me that it is impossible to foresee things there (whereas the examples are legion!).
0 x
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 09/04/21, 14:28

sen-no-sen wrote:
ABC2019 wrote:

Entropy is a general concept that goes in the direction of life as well as destruction.
However, in the context of biology, we consider the degradation * (in this case of an ecosystem) by the amount of energy capable of increasing the entropy of an organized system.

I don't know this concept or how we measure it, do you have any references?
0 x
To pass for an idiot in the eyes of a fool is a gourmet pleasure. (Georges COURTELINE)

Mééé denies nui went to parties with 200 people and was not even sick moiiiiiii (Guignol des bois)
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 09/04/21, 14:29

sen-no-sen wrote:
ABC2019 wrote:you mix everything up, of course, there are facts, like the disappearance of the wolf and the bear from French territory. Whether it is good to reintroduce them or not (or to accept that they come back naturally like the wolf), it is not a fact, it is an opinion.

If we reintroduce the wolf, it means that the latter has been hunted previously... It is necessary to make a distinction (of size!) Between an event located in our past and others currently in progress or projected in the future.
We see that species will disappear due to anthropotechnical activity, that is not an opinion, it is an anticipated fact. But maybe you will tell me that it is impossible to foresee things there (whereas the examples are legion!).

I did not say the opposite, I just said that the emotional value that you give to this fact is subjective (for the real disappearance of the species anyway I do not think that there is "legion" which are recorded )
0 x

sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 09/04/21, 17:18

ABC2019 wrote:I did not say the opposite, I just said that the emotional value that you give to this fact is subjective (for the real disappearance of the species anyway I do not think that there is "legion" which are recorded )

Everything that relates to personal emotional value is subjective by definition ... the obvious.
Basically what you ask your interlocutor ... is to be unable to say anything about a situation, because that would come under subjectivity, which makes it possible to maintain a concurrent analysis, relating to subjectivity and denial this time ...

Species extinction rate: how to measure it?

On large scales of time, the species appear and disappear, the paleontological data indicating for each a lifetime of between one and ten million years. The average would be five million years. Over a period of one hundred years, it is expected that 1 / 50.000e will disappear (0,002%). If we consider that there exists between 10 and 20 millions of species, we should therefore witness the extinction of 200 400 species per century. It remains to be compared with observations over a hundred years. What was done for the twentieth century.

An accelerating pace
"The extinction rates vary enormously from one taxonomic group to another," explains Anne Teyssèdre. We must therefore be careful to specify the set of organisms considered. The estimate gives very high values. For plants, the extinction rate is 50 times higher than the average rate and this ratio is 260 for all vertebrates. For Mammals alone, it is 560 ...

“These reports are only estimated for the twentieth century, relativizes Anne Teyssèdre. They should not be extrapolated because the rate of extinctions is expected to accelerate. If we took the last decade of the twentieth century, we would find numbers higher than those of the first decade. Conclusion: the rates announced here and there in the media mean nothing if we do not specify both the taxonomic group and the period concerned.

In addition, extinctions take time and ... are permanent! To better understand the major current trends in species dynamics and the transformation of living communities under pressure from the environment, including human activities, ecologists have been carrying out temporal monitoring of populations and common species for twenty years. These studies highlight the major trends in the decline or expansion of species, depending on their ecological or geographic characteristics, and make it possible to analyze their causes in order to propose conservation measures.

https://www.futura-sciences.com/planete/actualites/developpement-durable-taux-extinction-especes-mesurer-25715/
0 x
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 09/04/21, 18:02

sen-no-sen wrote:
ABC2019 wrote:I did not say the opposite, I just said that the emotional value that you give to this fact is subjective (for the real disappearance of the species anyway I do not think that there is "legion" which are recorded )

Everything that relates to personal emotional value is subjective by definition ... the obvious.
Basically what you ask your interlocutor ... is to be unable to say anything about a situation, because that would come under subjectivity, which makes it possible to maintain a concurrent analysis, relating to subjectivity and denial this time ...

Species extinction rate: how to measure it?

On large scales of time, the species appear and disappear, the paleontological data indicating for each a lifetime of between one and ten million years. The average would be five million years. Over a period of one hundred years, it is expected that 1 / 50.000e will disappear (0,002%). If we consider that there exists between 10 and 20 millions of species, we should therefore witness the extinction of 200 400 species per century. It remains to be compared with observations over a hundred years. What was done for the twentieth century.

An accelerating pace
"The extinction rates vary enormously from one taxonomic group to another," explains Anne Teyssèdre. We must therefore be careful to specify the set of organisms considered. The estimate gives very high values. For plants, the extinction rate is 50 times higher than the average rate and this ratio is 260 for all vertebrates. For Mammals alone, it is 560 ...

It's still quite a few per century, 5 million years divided by 500 that's 10 years of average lifespan, and nothing says that the rate of disappearance will accelerate ...
0 x

sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 09/04/21, 18:18

It's not a big deal ... moving around there is nothing to see ...
1 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 09/04/21, 18:21

ABC2019 wrote:... nothing says that the rate of disappearance will accelerate ...

It's true, everything is going so well that the curve will miraculously reverse ... just talk to ABC to realize that NOTHING is happening. On the contrary, the earth is turning green again, pollution is disappearing and biodiversity has never been so abundant. : roll:
0 x

Back to "Climate Change: CO2, warming, greenhouse effect ..."