GHG reduction in France

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
belze1
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

GHG reduction in France

by belze1 » 12/01/07, 12:55

France has reduced its greenhouse gas emissions by 1,8% since 1990
PARIS (AFP) - France has reduced its 1,8 greenhouse gas emissions by 2005% compared to 1990, which puts it on track to meet the constraints of the Kyoto Protocol, said Thursday the Minister of Energy. Ecology Nelly Olin.
In 2004, the reduction of French GHG emissions, of which carbon dioxide (CO2) is the main one, only reached 0,5%.
"The year 2006 marked the entry into application of many measures of the Climate Plan adopted in 2004: without them, exceeding the Kyoto objective would represent an increase (in emissions) of more than 6%", underlined the Minister. opening of the second "climate meeting" for 2006, in Paris.
In recent months, "the update of the Climate Plan 2004-2012 should make it possible to ensure an additional reduction of 6 to 8 million tonnes of CO2 per year", she indicated.
"Transport emissions have started to fall, this is a major shift," said Ms. Olin.
Transport in general fell by 0,9% and those by road transport alone by 1,1%, a favorable but timid development.
However, it is partly cyclical, linked to soaring oil prices in 2005 which has led to a decrease in traffic, as well as to the renovation of the fleet and the sobriety of new vehicles, explained Jean-Claude Gazeau, President of the Interministerial Mission for the Greenhouse Effect (Mies).
Transport (20% of total emissions) with housing, which alone accounts for nearly half of final energy consumption in France, remain the two most worrying sectors.
The Kyoto protocol against the greenhouse effect imposes on the industrialized nations differentiated targets to reduce their GHG emissions (-8% by 2012 for the whole of the European Union, France for its part a goal of stabilizing its emissions compared to 1990).

source: http://fr.news.yahoo.com/11012007/202/l ... ns-de.html
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 13/01/07, 04:59

A small cold shower sting reminder not to fall into smug optimism: divide our current emissions By 4 to avoid increasing the atmospheric concentration of GHGs ... :|
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."