Reduce your carbon footprint

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
ENERC
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: Reduce your carbon footprint

by ENERC » 20/04/20, 17:44

I do not understand this table:

"Buy green energy". Whether you buy it or not it is produced. If we are talking about electricity, renewable energies do not emit less CO2 than nuclear power - it's even the opposite!

"To recycle" . the 60 kg of plastics in the trash each year represent 200 kg of CO2 (2% of emissions). But if we take the 13 kg of annual waste per inhabitant, what does that give? The bitumen is partly recycled, the concrete not at all, the scrap metal a little.
So recycling waste (including industrial waste) is fundamental. The best will be to no longer use bitumen and concrete.

I'm not talking about the obviously old figures which see the hybrid consuming less energy than the electric vehicle (or else they charge the car with coal ...)

Sorry: this graphic is a tea towel.
0 x
gildas
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by gildas » 20/04/20, 23:44

It appeared in 2017

Faced with very many reactions, AFP said that this infographic was taken from a study published in 2017.

This solution to reduce its carbon footprint is not unanimous. While the intergovernmental panel on climate change launched a new alert on global warming, Monday, October 8, AFP has chosen to publish, on Twitter, an infographic to reduce its CO2 emissions. Thus, the graph shows that changing light bulbs or recycling has a low impact. On the other hand, "having one less child" has a very high impact.

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/meteo/clima ... 76621.html

Part of the better sized graph:
graph.jpg
graph.jpg (363.81 KB) Viewed 4665 times
1 x
gildas
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by gildas » 10/05/20, 12:57

Hello,
A good tool to reduce your carbon footprint with an e-bike:
We are several members of VeloBuc to be passed to the bicycle with electric assistance.
We all opted for models with a motor in the bottom bracket. These bikes are used for commuting and for shopping with a trailer, or transporting children.

With 35 to 40 km daily at 22 -23 kms on average, we covered between 5000 kms for the most recently converted members to more than 12000 kms for a member.

The economic calculations that we carried out separately and compared showed us that our bikes (2100-2800 euros with equipment, pannier bags, etc.) were depreciated over a period ranging from 1 and a half to two and a half years.
A car is never depreciated (3500 to 6000 euros per year).

A Walloon economic calculation model shows that for 1 euro invested in cycling, the overall economic return for society is between 5 and 12 euros.

the bike :
- withdraws health costs, direct and indirect
- withdraws infrastructure and traffic costs
- remove floor space occupation, reduce waterproofing
- removes direct emissions, sensitive during pollution peaks, and indirect during the manufacturing stages
+ increases life expectancy in the event of regular practice
+ improves the social fabric and solidarity because users can talk to each other, organize bike-buses (business trips, support for children at school), and achieve a real inter-generational fusion by dispersing the age of the practitioners.
+ instructs practitioners on the highway code from an early age, increasing vigilance for infractions and compliance with collective rules
+ releases endorphins and other substances producing well-being and mental arousal, improves listening skills and empathy
+ provides a feeling of freedom

For a euro invested "in the bicycle" or for bicycle facilities, there is a tremendous return on investment in all sensitive sectors: health, environment, economy, employment

if we spent even 5% of the advertising budget for the car to convince the immense benefits brought by the bicycle in daily journeys, we could consider not remaining in the European peloton of countries where the air quality is poor and the health hits high!

Political courage certainly but above all also a sense of individual responsibility for each citizen! And it's within everyone's reach!

https://www.lemonde.fr/blog/transports/ ... lectrique/

... and I would add that with an anti-covid mask a cyclist partially protects himself from pollution.

Less effort provided than with a classic bike therefore less inspired polluted air.

Choose a pedelec with a removable battery and the city dweller can recharge in their apartment sheltered from the weather.

Warning!:
To travel at night, or during the day when visibility is insufficient, any driver and passenger of a bicycle must wear a high visibility vest outside built-up areas. The vest must be approved ("CE" marking). Failure to comply with this obligation is punishable by a fine of up to € 150
0 x
Samarion24
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Samarion24 » 28/12/20, 20:40

Hello,
I want to launch a citizen movement
I live in Savoie in a valley where the air is increasingly polluted. 1 km from my home is a bitumen factory that releases tens of millions of m3 of smoke each year. This is a real health bomb, the smoke being composed of carcinogenic products, can also cause asthma and allergies. All of the bitumen plants on French territory contribute greatly to global warming. It is for these reasons that I would like the State to legislate to put an end to the use of bitumen in road construction in the short term, because alternative solutions exist. It is urgent to take action !!! We suffer from pollution!!! The Alps are at the forefront of realizing global warming. The current health crisis is terrible, but it is a unique chance to change the world. These are the reasons that prompted me to put a petition online asking to end its use. 
Hoping to find your support 
Sincerely,
Samuel 

Link to the petition
https://www.change.org/MessagepourMMacron
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 28/12/20, 20:55

There is no "bitumen factory" in the Alps, possibly storage.
Bitumen is a product of refining, no refinery in the Alps.
1 x
Samarion24
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Samarion24 » 29/12/20, 04:17

Hello

I apologize for my technical error. It is a bitumen coating plant for road materials. This error does not call into question the health risks for people who work in contact with this material and for the surrounding residents. The construction of roads with bitumen, a fossil fuel, also contributes to climate change. Alternative solutions exist, it is time to put them into practice.
0 x