Is Logan greener than the Prius?

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Is Logan greener than the Prius?

by Targol » 10/01/08, 15:53

Well, I know: the only green car is the one that remains in the designers' box. But since adjectives like "ecological" or "bio" are starting to flourish among manufacturers, I use it too. The real question would rather be "which pollutes the least?"

Small personal experience:
Seeing that I do almost 30 000Km a year with my Picasso but for more 20 000 of these I'm alone in, I had the following idea:
"And if, instead of having a big car which allows me, of course, to take my whole family on vacation but in which I am alone 80% of the time, I take a small car (therefore less polluting) and I put a trailer for my lifts in Brittany? ".

So I started to look at the side of the "compact city cars" segment grouping the clio, 206, ...
First observation: in diesel engine (30 000Km / year : Cry: ), it is necessary to type in the last generations of Hdi to go down under the 120g / Km of CO².
2e finding: the French (or other Ford / Opel), even in OCCAZ, are expensive. So I started to look at what is cheaper in France: the Koreans. The observation is clear: for the price of a Clio of 100 km, there is a new "Hyunday Getz". Then a friend of mine told me about the Logan. I hadn't thought about it because my criteria were above all pollution and fuel consumption and I thought that Dacia had used old generations of engines (therefore polluting).
Faced with the announced releases, I therefore decided on a Logan 1.5Dci 85 (sedan) whose emissions (120g / Km) and consumption (4.2l / 100 in extra urban) explode many "small" Westerners (more details and more time!).
The additional advantage, besides the price, is that with a chest 500l, I will be able to limit the use of the trailer.
Expected delivery: end of January.

And here I refocus a little on my title:
When we know that the Prius (which presents itself as "The Ecolo car" - type "Prius" on Google if you want to see it) has the same consumption (4,2l / 100Km) but in gasoline and emissions of 104g / Km, the question takes all its interest.
First of all, these numbers are only valid when the electric motor is used. In my case (40km of departmental straight lines at a constant speed of 90Km / h), I am not sure that the numbers are as good.

In addition, if we take into account the gray energy, it gets a little more.
  • materials : the Logan is as simplified as the Prius is complex. The number of pieces must, I think, almost double to the advantage of the Logan
  • Transport: Logans sold in France are produced in Spain or Eastern Europe. The prius is produced in Asia. More Km to get here so, more gray energy. Logan still winning.
  • Price:When the basic price is sold 25.550€, the Logan DCI85 without options is sold to 11 390€. Now, money, at one time or another, is energy expenditure and pollution.

So it seems that Logan is greener than the Prius .... or at least more ECONOLOGICAL : Mrgreen:
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
denis
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by denis » 10/01/08, 16:09

and you do not count the recycling of batteries !!
to see case by case! the one that makes a lot of city or tragedy bottling :?: : Cheesy: may be winning, and again! to have
it was said that a hummer was less polluting ecollogically than the prius! counting all: from production to recycling !! amazing, but may not be impossible
it is still commercial, like ethanol, produced by sugar cane (deforestation, co2 ect ....)
see the product as a whole (evoked for nuclear power plants!)
the ecological image makes sell, but what about reality?
0 x
White would not exist without the dark, but anyway!

http://maison-en-paille.blogspot.fr/
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/01/08, 16:20

Ah this is the subject that would kill a Bucheron if he was still used to these forums!

I think more like you at the overall level (especially the fact that it takes more work, so pollute more, to pay a car more expensive) but still pay attention to the figures announced by the manufacturer ... we must add 20 % for reality.

I want to make a news with your 1er message, what do you think? 8)

Ps: renault is not renowned for the reliability of its new vehicles ... is Dacia better from this point of view?
0 x
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: Is Logan greener than Prius?

by Chatham » 10/01/08, 16:25

Targol wrote:When we know that the Prius (which presents itself as "The Ecolo car" - type "Prius" on Google if you want to see it) has the same consumption (4,2l / 100Km) but in gasoline and emissions of 104g / Km, the question takes all its interest.

Oh no need to specify "gasoline" because very soon diesel will be as expensive if not slightly more than diesel ... because the government goal is the leveling of gasoline / diesel taxes and like diesel is a little more expensive at the refinery outlet than gasoline ...
The only drawback of the Logan is old engines: we know how to make more economical today ... I have a friend living in the countryside who has a Logan 85cv dci break, it is rather close to 6L on average. ..but for sure we get what we pay for ...
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 10/01/08, 16:34

Christophe wrote:Ah this is the subject that would kill a Bucheron if he was still used to these forums!

What?
A deserter?
It's not me who would abandon you for months without news : Mrgreen:

Christophe wrote:I think more like you at the overall level (especially the fact that it takes more work, so pollute more, to pay a car more expensive) but still pay attention to the figures announced by the manufacturer ... we must add 20 % for reality.

Yes, but it's true for 2 consos announced and anyway, it will always be less than the 6l / 100Km measured on my Picasso 2litres.

Christophe wrote:I want to make a news with your 1er message, what do you think? 8)

With great pleasure : Cheesy:

Christophe wrote:Ps: renault is not renowned for the reliability of its new vehicles ... is Dacia better from this point of view?

Dacia used 2 axes to limit the cost of Logan:
  • Simplification: all the parts specifically designed for the Logan had as specifications to be the simplest possible. Thus, the windows are flat and not curved, the dashboard is almost single-piece and the door trim is almost flat.
  • Reuse:The majority of parts have been reused from the Renault range. Thus, running gear and diesel engines come from Clio II / Modus. As they were elements that were mounted before hundreds of thousands of Clio before passing on the Logan, it is the buyers of Renault who wiped the platres. These parts are now perfectly reliable. If you want more details: an article about caradisiac about it
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Is Logan greener than Prius?

by Leo Maximus » 10/01/08, 17:18

And why not a Smart if it is to ride alone the 2 / 3 time? See a scooter?
On the other hand, I do not see how the proliferation of low-cost vehicles would be environmentally friendly ... In France it must sell 10 or 20 Logan for 1 only Prius, I do not see how it is profitable for the environment.
The Prius seen by Billy Bob (in English):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOvp69ln ... re=related
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/01/08, 17:23

Maximus, Targol's reasoning is based on "only one" vehicle and in this case he is right: there is a good chance that a dci logan will be greener throughout its life (and before taking the difference in price d 'purchase) that a prius ...

The dissuasive price of the Smart reserves it for "Bobos" ... for the scooter pkoi not but Targol must have his reasons (he speaks of a large trunk ...)
0 x
denis
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by denis » 10/01/08, 17:29

reliability is necessarily good: mechanical already tested on renault models and no networks in multiplexing !! the big m ... e of the majority of cars today, but beware the high-end logan with computer and everything .. there is multiplexing there is no longer any interest because with all the options and the high-end dce is not the same price and have reliability renault : Lol:
0 x
White would not exist without the dark, but anyway!

http://maison-en-paille.blogspot.fr/
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 10/01/08, 17:39

Christophe wrote:Maximus, Targol's reasoning is based on "only one" vehicle and in this case he is right: there is a good chance that a dci logan will be greener throughout its life (and before taking the difference in price d 'purchase) that a prius ...
The dissuasive price of the Smart reserves it for "Bobos" ... for the scooter pkoi not but Targol must have his reasons (he speaks of a large trunk ...)

The proliferation of low-cost vehicles will be a disaster (more). On the other hand I am not sure that a Logan and a Prius have the same life expectancy (personal experience Renault vs Japanese)
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 10/01/08, 17:40

Christophe wrote:Maximus, Targol's reasoning is based on "only one" vehicle and in this case he is right: there is a good chance that a dci logan will be greener throughout its life (and before taking the difference in price d 'purchase) that a prius ...

Indeed, I also thought of a scooter. But given the scumoune I had at one time in a car, and following the death of my best friend on a motorcycle, I would not take the risk of 2 wheels on straight roads and bulging home.

In addition, Maximus, if you read correctly, I need a means of transport to go to work but also to take my family (a woman, 2 children and a cat) in WE at step-mom or vacation in Brittany at my Pôpa.
And here, the 2 wheels or the smart ....

After, Maximus, where you did not wrong is that it was found that 80% of Logan buyers (in France) are people who, before its release, only bought OCCAZ.
Low-cost cars will therefore be able to accelerate the replacement of cars that, without them, would have continued to roll ...
0 x