Limiting Global: How CO2?

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: Limit the warming: how many CO2?

by Paul72 » 15/09/20, 17:31

Ahmed wrote:Whether trees rot naturally or are burned does not change the atmospheric carbon cycle point of view. As for the carbon footprint of a "natural" forest, it is strictly neutral over time, but the initial phase immobilizes CO.2 en masse. So extending the forest mantle where possible is a good thing, especially since the influence of the forest is strongly manifested in terms of rainfall (emissions of micro particles that trigger the formation of droplets in the clouds) and temperature (in the sense of greater freshness).

This is not true for old forests, in any case it is a received idea that has been widely attacked in recent years: old trees are those which store the most carbon per unit area and per year, more than a young plantation in full growth even dense, as counterintuitive as it sounds. Again I already had to put a link (to check). Finally, this is due to the fact that the old hyper mature trees have had time to absolutely optimize the light received, and by their highly developed roots the soil resources.
0 x
I'm allergic to idiots: sometimes I even get a cough.
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 15/09/20, 17:40

sicetaitsimple wrote:[...] yes yes yes [...] no, no, no [...] it is perhaps less conducive to lyrical flights on all the defects of globalized capitalism and certainly revealing of a particularly low spirit ceiling (I assume!) [ : Shock: ] "Ultrafast" recharging, this is the promise of graphene batteries, "the promise of constructors"

Ouch!
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 15/09/20, 19:37

Paul72, you write:
This is not true for old forests ...

Warning! When I speak of the initial phase, I do not mean young plantations, but the period of establishment of a forest in a place that did not previously have one. This period, necessarily long, includes the adult stage up to individual decline and its renewal, in short a stabilized stand ... Sorry for not having been clear enough.
Otherwise, I agree with you ... 8)
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
ENERC
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by ENERC » 15/09/20, 19:48

Paul72 wrote:This is not true for old forests, in any case it is a received idea that has been widely attacked in recent years: old trees are those which store the most carbon per unit area and per year, more than a young plantation in full growth even dense, as counterintuitive as it sounds. Again I already had to put a link (to check). Finally, this is due to the fact that the old hyper mature trees have had time to absolutely optimize the light received, and by their highly developed roots the soil resources.

This is what I notice when I cut down a tree: the size of the annual growth rings decreases little from the center to the periphery.
But the surface grows in the square of the radius ....
And so a tree that increases its radius by 5 mm per year to 30 cm in radius stores 4 times more CO2 than a tree 15 cm in radius (30 cm in diameter).
At constant size ... So much so that, for example, an oak is at its maximum growth around 40 years old.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 15/09/20, 21:07

One must beware of hasty extrapolations: age is not the most significant factor in the size of annual rings, especially for medium to small trees which are therefore quite young. What matters most is access to light and, to put it another way, the possibility of maximizing the catchment area to maximize photosynthesis (the larger the plant, the greater the production. is also). other factors also influence, such as the availability of water ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 15/09/20, 21:15

Ahmed wrote:One must beware of hasty extrapolations: age is not the most significant factor in the size of annual rings, especially for medium to small trees which are therefore quite young. What matters most is access to light and, to put it another way, the possibility of maximizing the catchment area to maximize photosynthesis (the larger the plant, the greater the production. is also). other factors also influence, such as the availability of water ...

Yes it is rather that: one does not have the impression that an oak of 150 years grows bigger compared to one of 40 years but if it only elongates and swells by 2mm, the total surface is such that the additional mass is enormous, photosynthesis optimized to the max during the vegetation period.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 15/09/20, 22:14

A 2014 American study confirms this https://www.reforestaction.com/blog/plu ... AEn%C3%A9s.
1 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 23/09/20, 09:31

Paul72 wrote:It's called trolling.
You worry too.
Paul72 wrote:
Yes it is rather that: one does not have the impression that an oak of 150 years grows bigger compared to one of 40 years but if it only elongates and swells by 2mm, the total surface is such that the additional mass is enormous, photosynthesis optimized to the max during the growing season.

Source to support such a claim?
0 x
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 23/09/20, 10:26

Obamot wrote:
Don't worry also.

ah Obamot admits that he is trolling!
there is progress : Mrgreen:
0 x
To pass for an idiot in the eyes of a fool is a gourmet pleasure. (Georges COURTELINE)

Mééé denies nui went to parties with 200 people and was not even sick moiiiiiii (Guignol des bois)
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 23/09/20, 10:32

Obamot wrote:
You worry too.
Paul72 wrote:
Yes it is rather that: one does not have the impression that an oak of 150 years grows bigger compared to one of 40 years but if it only elongates and swells by 2mm, the total surface is such that the additional mass is enormous, photosynthesis optimized to the max during the growing season.

Source to support such a claim?

https://www.reforestaction.com/blog/plu ... cke-de-co2

And trolling is when it suits you (or rather bothers you)
At some point, you have to moderate the ardor of those who seek to distort reality. After all there are people who read, they shouldn't think they come across a conspiratorial site ...
1 x

Back to "Climate Change: CO2, warming, greenhouse effect ..."